• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Delivery day!

Jbrunwa

My end game LCR speakers have been delivered. i wonder where I’m going to store the cases

Attachments

• ED40CC64-EA4D-4457-9323-9EF5DB071259.jpeg
    ED40CC64-EA4D-4457-9323-9EF5DB071259.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 488
OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

Congrats. You're going to have a hell of a good weekend!
We finally rangled the speakers out of the cases! Using direct mode and initial placements before any tuning, with music the sound quality is similar to the M106s, but with clarity of bass, midrange, and a wonderful soundstage. With movies, the clarity and range of the center matches perfectly to our ears. Here’s are are out of the box, ignore the toys on components that our granddaughter has owned.
So thankful we found ASR.

Attachments

• 86C9EA65-4F68-4D77-AC46-61C52FBA2E08.jpeg
    86C9EA65-4F68-4D77-AC46-61C52FBA2E08.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 372

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Pics of your setup?

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

Just posted: 2x F328be, C426, Emotiva XMC-2, B&K reference 200.5, Samsung 65 Q90t. Lots of work to be done yet on placement, cabling. I am opting not to use the spikes on the F338be pair as I don’t know how I could move them on the carpet with spikes without help. I will be moving my M106 pair (not shown) to surrounds.

Pennyless Audiophile

Considering the general vibe of the forum, I can comment that everything you are hearing is not real and you are just imagining it.
We are sure that you could achieve the same result with a 1972 boombox wired to a Chinese headphone DAC bought on Wish.com

(Just joking actually congrats, they are great speakers!)

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

Considering the general vibe of the forum, I can comment that everything you are hearing is not real and you are just imagining it.
We are sure that you could achieve the same result with a 1972 boombox wired to a Chinese headphone DAC bought on Wish.com

(Just joking actually congrats, they are great speakers!)
:cool:
I’m currently watching and listening to Berlin Philharmonic performing Pictures at an Exhibition. I’d like to get to work with Dirac Live to see what it measures but I’m having too much enjoyment just listening so that will just have to wait. Subjectively for music no subwoofer is needed for my taste.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:cool:
Subjectively for music no subwoofer is needed for my taste.

My preference (with DIRAC available) is to live with my speakers as they are. If you find bass satisfactory now, processing may result in playback that's different - not necessarily better.

(The bathed dog principle)

PS - regarding the anvil cases
If you find space limited, your local music store might want them for equipment rentals. If you're in California, install a couple windows and running water... instant VRBO!

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

My preference (with DIRAC available) is to live with my speakers as they are. If you find bass satisfactory now, processing may result in playback that's different - not necessarily better.

(The bathed dog principle)

PS - regarding the anvil cases
If you find space limited, your local music store might want them for equipment rentals. If you're in California, install a couple windows and running water... instant VRBO!

I may make some measurements at some point of curiosity. But this is the first time ever that I’ve not felt the need to make some kind of sound tweak. It may just be the new car smell, but I’m perfectly happy with them in direct mode.

We did make room to put the anvil cases inside our garden shed for the time being, but if I keep them there I would have to do something to protect them from Pacific Northwest humidity, maybe remove and flatten the interior cardboard to store inside somewhere. Although we have no plans to ever move, I would like to hold onto the cases just in case.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Martini

Forum Donor
That's awesome!! I just ordered mine a couple days ago. Originally had the F228be on order, but things weren't working out on a silver pair actually making delivery (a shipping allotment was damaged). So an acceptable offer was made on the F328be's. I'm cautiously excited --> hoping these actually show. Man, those are big cases! They are going to eat up more room in my storage unit then my MartinLogan boxes, which aren't small. Hopefully, I'll be able to sell those on quickly.

Good long weekend to enjoy them :)

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

That's awesome!! I just ordered mine a couple days ago. Originally had the F228be on order, but things weren't working out on a silver pair actually making delivery (a shipping allotment was damaged). So an acceptable offer was made on the F328be's. I'm cautiously excited --> hoping these actually show. Man, those are big cases! They are going to eat up more room in my storage unit then my MartinLogan boxes, which aren't small. Hopefully, I'll be able to sell those on quickly.

Good long weekend to enjoy them :)

Everything about these speakers shouts precision engineering. I predict that they will be worth the wait!

Last edited:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It would be interesting to hear what sort of differences you get from trying different placement and angles.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow anvil cases (well at least Anvil-type) come "free" with the speakers :) Definitely keepers. Or you can maybe sell them to a local band or something :) Congrats, would love to hear your setup!

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

It would be interesting to hear what sort of differences you get from trying different placement and angles.

Agreed. I plan to experiment next week, first with minor changes, and then possibly major rearrangement that would involve disassembly and moving the amplifier stack to get more distance between speakers to identify what I like best, but I won’t start until I have time next week or so.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. I plan to experiment next week, first with minor changes, and then possibly major rearrangement...

May I recommend furniture "sliders" while you're working things out?

A judicious marking with blue painter's tape will help keep track of positions until you put everything back where you started...

https://kofflersales.com/p/furniture-glides.asp

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

Thanks for the practical advice! I honestly hadn’t thought of that

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

Here is the baseline measurement at 13 points with Dirac Live. The 36 Hz dip is a room null that I hope to address.

Attachments

• F328Be L+R Baseline.png
    F328Be L+R Baseline.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 123
OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

I have now had a chance to try out some different placements. It took completely destructing and reconstructing the setup to move things around. With the speakers about 10 ft apart and angled to our sofa about 12 ft back seems to make for a superior soundstage. Although we now have the spikes installed and they seem mostly stable on the carpet we still don’t have the speakers too far out from the wall as I’m concerned our toddler granddaughter might run into them.
DF17AD41-21D1-402B-8BD5-BCC86704BEBF.jpeg

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When my kids were little we used the Regalo brand of "baby gate" to keep them arm's length from our woodstove.

The gates fold up flat when not in use and can be anchored to drywall.

Top Bottom