• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peib

Im considering to buy the amplifier Pioneer A-30 for my speakers. I have not a headphone amplifier to pair with my Beyerdynamic dt 1770 pro.
These headphones have 250 ohms impedance, which isnt low and an amplifier. I dont want to spend a lot of money, cause I have just bought Topping D-50 (DAC) and my budget is low (student), so my plan is to use the pioneer a.30 (or other amplifier, I accept suggests :D) with the beyerdynamic dt 1770 pro.

Has anyone did this? Should I buy a headphone amplifier?? (I dont have any idea of which, thougt topping a-30).

Thank you so much and sorry for my bad English.

Best regards!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unless it says otherwise, power amplifiers generate the headphone output with a serial resistor. This increases the "output impedance" of the amplifier and can vary the frequency response of low impedance headphones. That variation may actually be to your liking so try it before worrying about getting a dedicated headphone amplifier.

OP
Peib

Peib

Unless it says otherwise, power amplifiers generate the headphone output with a serial resistor. This increases the "output impedance" of the amplifier and can vary the frequency response of low impedance headphones. That variation may actually be to your liking so try it before worrying about getting a dedicated headphone amplifier.
Thanks! I'll test it before I think to buy the headphone amplifier

garbulky

Major Contributor
Im considering to buy the amplifier Pioneer A-30 for my speakers. I have not a headphone amplifier to pair with my Beyerdynamic dt 1770 pro.
These headphones have 250 ohms impedance, which isnt low and an amplifier. I dont want to spend a lot of money, cause I have just bought Topping D-50 (DAC) and my budget is low (student), so my plan is to use the pioneer a.30 (or other amplifier, I accept suggests :D) with the beyerdynamic dt 1770 pro.

Has anyone did this? Should I buy a headphone amplifier?? (I dont have any idea of which, thougt topping a-30).

Thank you so much and sorry for my bad English.

Best regards!
Why not buy a speaker amplifier that's also built for headphones? That's what I use. The Emotiva Basx A-100 for $229. Other than putting out similar power to the Pioneer, they have two headphone modes. One for regular low impedance headphones - this one has the resistor in line that Amir talked about which causes a higher output impedance.

The other mode is the direct drive mode which is accessed by engaging a jumper on the amp. The direct drive mode pushes the speaker amps power directly in to the headphones and bypasses the resistor. This is specificalyl designed for high impedance headphones like yours. My headphones are the HD600 and have a 300 ohm impedance. It works great and is capable of ridiculous amounts of power in to 300 ohms - almost the most powerful headphone amp out there and certainly the most powerful this side of a grand. Its only con is that it has a slight hiss on total silence in direct drive mode (but not when you have the resistor in the line).

I personally use my A-100 as a "power amp" and adjust the volume using my DAC's output. So I just set the A-100 to the loudest volume I tolerate in direct drive mode and use my Emotiva DC-1 to control the volume.

Speakers
  • Power Output (main outputs; two channels driven):
    50 watts / channel RMS; 8 Ohms; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; <0.05% THD.
    80 watts / channel RMS; continuous; into 4 ohms.

• Power Output (headphone output; normal mode):
    8 Ohms: 60 mW / channel
    33 Ohms: 200 mW / channel
    47 Ohms: 250 mW / channel
    150 Ohms: 430 mW / channel
    300 Ohms: 440 mW / channel
    600 Ohms: 350 mW / channel

• Power Output (headphone output; direct drive mode)
    (requires internal jumper; USE WITH CAUTION):
    8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel
    33 Ohms: 12 watts / channel
    47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
    150 Ohms: 2.6 watts / channel
    300 Ohms: 1.3 watts / channel <-----WOW!
    600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel

OP
Peib

Peib

Why not buy a speaker amplifier that's also built for headphones? That's what I use. The Emotiva Basx A-100 for $229. Other than putting out similar power to the Pioneer, they have two headphone modes. One for regular low impedance headphones - this one has the resistor in line that Amir talked about which causes a higher output impedance.

The other mode is the direct drive mode which is accessed by engaging a jumper on the amp. The direct drive mode pushes the speaker amps power directly in to the headphones and bypasses the resistor. This is specificalyl designed for high impedance headphones like yours. My headphones are the HD600 and have a 300 ohm impedance. It works great and is capable of ridiculous amounts of power in to 300 ohms - almost the most powerful headphone amp out there and certainly the most powerful this side of a grand. Its only con is that it has a slight hiss on total silence in direct drive mode (but not when you have the resistor in the line).

I personally use my A-100 as a "power amp" and adjust the volume using my DAC's output. So I just set the A-100 to the loudest volume I tolerate in direct drive mode and use my Emotiva DC-1 to control the volume.

Speakers
  • Power Output (main outputs; two channels driven):
    50 watts / channel RMS; 8 Ohms; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; <0.05% THD.
    80 watts / channel RMS; continuous; into 4 ohms.

• Power Output (headphone output; normal mode):
    8 Ohms: 60 mW / channel
    33 Ohms: 200 mW / channel
    47 Ohms: 250 mW / channel
    150 Ohms: 430 mW / channel
    300 Ohms: 440 mW / channel
    600 Ohms: 350 mW / channel

• Power Output (headphone output; direct drive mode)
    (requires internal jumper; USE WITH CAUTION):
    8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel
    33 Ohms: 12 watts / channel
    47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
    150 Ohms: 2.6 watts / channel
    300 Ohms: 1.3 watts / channel <-----WOW!
    600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel

Didnt know about this product. Its a very good option for what I am seeking.

Thank you

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Why not buy a speaker amplifier that's also built for headphones? [...]

Because are very expensive, usually >1K...2K (see Yamaha A-S1x00/2x00/3x00). Emotiva has no dedicated headamp inside, it's a direct connection created for HE-5 or HE-6 planars, so totally not recommended to be used with regular cans because of too much power and probably too noisy for sensitive cans too (about 2W/250Ohms, so 10x more power than these Beyers can support).

I paid about $60 for my O2 kit years ago, so I really think it's just to cheap and good not have it around in your home, even the finished product from JDS.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I've done your adapter months ago when tested my BANG amplifier, it preserves low output impedance on the headphones side.

Top Bottom