• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Word Do You Hear?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Lorough.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear laurel, as in the leaf.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yanny, had to move the slider a lot before my brain retuned.

Does this only work with such a low quality clip?

Krunok

Major Contributor
Laurel. Had to move slider far to the right to change it and even then I hear "Yely". :)

Edit: I also hear Laurel in the original recording.

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Unlike the pointless blue dress/ black dress 'controversy', this one actually seems to highlight something real.

It would be interesting to correlate Yanny vs. Laurel against preferences for digital/vinyl, solid state/valves, active/passive etc. Or amongst Dr. Toole's trained listeners.

I'm a strong Yanny. :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I heard Poppy Crum being interviewed about this on the radio yesterday. She observed that there was some correlation with gender and it had to do with your own voice and your ears' acclimation to that particular frequency range. I'd love to get ten minutes with her to understand this a bit more deeply than talk radio hosts would ever allow.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Ooh that is weird!! Having gone to to the link they suggest for the dictionary definition, for a while I couldn't hear anything but Laurel. I simply couldn't hear it before, but then I could. But now I think I've flipped back to Yanny (the dictionary link still sounds like Laurel).

But I've discovered that If I listen to the original Laurel (in the dictionary link) over headphones lying on the desk it sounds like Yanny...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the original dictionary link I can only hear laurel. The mangled clip is very mangled, it is not at all obvious to me that it's the same source, or even sounds like it plays at a different speed.

I like the suggestion of trying to work out what types of people here what.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Strong laurel here. Moving the slider all the way to right only gives me "lerry" or "yerry".

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor

Brad

I get Yanny strongly. On the nytimes slider I have to move it all the way to the left to hear laurel. Then my brain has hysteresis, as I have to move it to the centre to hear Yanny again.

It would be interesting to correlate these results with speaker preference.

Guermantes

Contextual and linguistic bias is huge when trying to interpret poor recordings of speech. It could be an issue when a jury in court is asked to hear a poor recording of apparently damning evidence and is handed a transcript which will immediately bias them to what words they hear.

Dr. Helen Fraser believes it requires the input of an expert:
https://forensictranscription.com.au/

Krunok

Major Contributor
Well, until we establish the truth I still think all of you hearing Yanny should refrain yourself from discussions if DACs, OPamps and other stuff sound different. Once you hear Laurel you're good to go again. :D :D

Top Bottom