• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

vco1

Does the X16 output on both XLR and rca simultaneously? If not, how to select which output to use if cables are connected to both outputs?

sthaus

The Gustard application only reports the current sampling rate. It can not be used to change the rate. That "Speaker Properties" screen on Windows is completely the wrong place to set upsampling. You need to do this in your media player application. If foobar2000 is not working for you, I suggest you try Audirvana (or JRiver). The upsampling configuration is much more straightforward.

Taking a step back, I'm curious to know what problem you are hoping to solve by upsampling to 768 kHz. It this just to verify that the functionality works or are you thinking that this will somehow improve sound quality? One thing to keep in mind is that as you add CPU load to your digital audio transport (your Windows PC), sound quality often suffers. I would not bother with upsampling unless I had compelling evidence that it solved a particular problem with the DACs filters, etc.

In case it helps, I can assure you that all of the crazy sampling rates work once you have the software configured properly. The CPU load required to upsample to DSD512 or PCM 752.8 / 768 kHz is significant and (as in my case) should be done on a computer that is separate from the one to which the DAC is connected for best results.

Stormwatch.png

Note that processing speed is only 2.7x of real-time. My 7th gen Intel Core i5 can barely keep up with this upsampling. Thankfully, that's running on a system that's located two floors below where I've installed the Gustard X16 DAC. The DAC is being fed from a Raspberry Pi running VitOS.

Here's the DAC's display:

Gustard%20768.jpeg
After a week with foobar2k .. I gave up ! I am currently with Roon 1.8 now .. it does speak my audio language rather than foobar Again, thanks for sharing information .. I’m just wonder PCM 768 KHz audio quality and performance vs DSD 512 .. I’m using i5 7gen with 8gb ram hp, Cpu and Ram’s usage are around 45-55%…

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After a week with foobar2k .. I gave up ! I am currently with Roon 1.8 now .. it does speak my audio language rather than foobar Again, thanks for sharing information .. I’m just wonder PCM 768 KHz audio quality and performance vs DSD 512 .. I’m using i5 7gen with 8gb ram hp, Cpu and Ram’s usage are around 45-55%…

I don't understand the fascination with upsampling. It's not automatically better and often results in degraded results unless you're using something fancy like HQPlayer with a NOS DAC.

sthaus

agreed, upsampling sometimes does not give better result. Somehow I found listen on Spotify normal 96kbps is better than Amazon Unlimited 320kbps same track on my earphone.. (I don’t have Amazon HD in Australia yet) not sure that coz of my hearing problem. In other hand, most of my flac play better, smoother on Roon than foobar .. strangely, I played same track on Groove from window with Pc Eq and the result is absolutely fantastic sound quality than Roon and foobar .. (without upsampling), I got Hq player but haven’t tested yet

Last edited:

misureaudio

I`ve been using X16 for 3 months and it`s fine. But..
Today I`ve noticed that at silent fragments of DSF files (at the end of tracks especially) some noise appear. In the background, something like electrostatic noise from vinyl. It appears the music fades out, it isn`t present during music playback. I`ve tried two different sources : Daphile and Windows, it`s same in both cases. Did any of you issued similar thing?
It happens only with DSD playback.
My SACD were ripped by iso2dsd from bluray player via network.
Same experience with mine. I have written about it in the review thread. No idea why, since the HD, DXD and MQA playback is perfect. DSD shows exactly that mild crackling noise in the silent moments in the middle of a DSD track. The defect is reproducible. In the review thread I published a MATLAB script that saves a wav test file with a signal suitable to identify the noise simply by listening to it. The wav file is replayed perfectly. When you convert the file to DSD (with e.g. jRiver), the noise appears clearly.

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

Same experience with mine. I have written of it in the review thread. No idea why, since the HD, DXD and MQA playback is perfect. DSD shows exactly that mild crackling noise in the silent moments in the middle of a DSD track.

Same here. Hoping this can be addressed via firmware update.

hmscott

I've seen a number of people complain about the X16 DSD playback, and I hope every one of you are reporting it to Gustard.

The more people complain about the same problem, the more likely it will be bumped up on the bugs to fix list! "The squeaky wheel gets the oil!"

From Gustards Chinese Website, About Us, Contact Information:

Contact information
Tel: 0755-29400612
Email: [email protected]
QQ: 42354972
Address: Mission Hills, Longhua District, Shenzhen, Guangdong Province
34 at 160 Guihua Road
business hours
Monday to Friday
9:00-12:00 a.m., 2:00-6:00 p.m
The official website of Gossard | Contact us (gustard.cn)

Yeah, Gossard, go figure :)

From Gustards Support page, at the bottom:

We look forward to hearing from you and you can contact us at:
0755-29400612
[email protected]
QQ 42354972
34 buildings at 160 Guihua Road, Mission Hills Street, Longhua District, Shenzhen, Guangdong Province

Google Translate Extension for Chrome/Edge:
Google Translate - Chrome Web Store
Edge Translate - Chrome Web Store (google.com)

After the first translation of the front page I saw on the top Right what I hoped was a language option change, and it was, so I selected "English" :)

The Gustard website was hard to find via search, then I remembered the official MQA site has Gustard products listed, and sure enough, the MQA partner listing for Gustard had Gustard's website link in the listing:
GUSTARD (mqa.co.uk)

I would also send the problem details, audio clips, example music links/info to both Gustard and to your seller's support email and ask them to forward your problem to Gustard. Two or more bug reporting paths to Gustard are better than one, or none ;)

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I tried the Topping E30 and the SMSL M300 and both had horrible noise when I switched sources on my Mac (Amazon music, Roon, JRiver) . The Gustard is wonderful

dsnyder0cnn

I've created a few DSD files that contain a sequence of test tones starting with a level of -10 dB, decreasing by 6 dB every ten seconds to try to work out what playback level the Gustard X16 starts making noise during playback. I've not had a chance to play these yet, but here's a zip file in case you want to try with your X16.

Tone Sequence, -6 dB every 10 seconds starting at -10 dB

Tone Sequence Settings.png

dsnyder0cnn

I tried the Topping E30 and the SMSL M300 and both had horrible noise when I switched sources on my Mac (Amazon music, Roon, JRiver) . The Gustard is wonderful

Agreed, but many of us are having problems with DSD playback when levels drop below a certain threshold (eg., silent or soft passages in classical music)

misureaudio

I've created a few DSD files that contain a sequence of test tones starting with a level of -10 dB, decreasing by 6 dB every ten seconds to try to work out what playback level the Gustard X16 starts making noise during playback. I've not had a chance to play these yet, but here's a zip file in case you want to try with your X16.

View attachment 135823
Thank You very much, I'll test immediately.

I guessed an estimate of -50 or -60 dB wrt max level. Listening to DSD tracks from RCA living stereo, the analog tape hiss easily masks the defect. Of course with a DSD128 recording of Rossini Ouvertures, it's audible even between notes in low-level passages.

misureaudio

View attachment 135823
David, just incredible the defect looks like is signal dependent, at least at my first trial.
I see your DSD files, in Audirvana library with metadata.
With the DSD64 the defect is inaudible till the end
I tried directly with the DSD256 and the defect suddenly arose at 1:40 but not in the usual form: a continuous buzzing instead, covering the test signal completely. Before that point in time I was unable to hear it.

I'll retry later the whole sequence.

Great job. Thanks again!

misureaudio

View attachment 135823
I retried the whole suite. I can confirm that the defect is not hearable with DSD64 and DSD128 till the end. Confirmed is the result with DSD256, the buzz begins suddenly at 1min. 40s. completely covering the test signal.

I retried with my DSD64 HF low level signal and the crackling is there.

I further generated a DSD64 file with all the samples set to zero, obtaining a completely silent replay with no audible noise.

dsnyder0cnn

I retried the whole suite. I can confirm that the defect is not hearable with DSD64 and DSD128 till the end. Confirmed is the result with DSD256, the buzz begins suddenly at 1min. 40s. completely covering the test signal.

I retried with my DSD64 HF low level signal and the crackling is there.

I further generated a DSD64 file with all the samples set to zero, obtaining a completely silent replay with no audible noise.

Thanks for trying and for the feedback from everyone who tried. I'll generate a new sequence with lower levels. Lowest level for the initial set is -82 dB, but perhaps the problem only happens below 80 dB. Having a silence track is a great idea.

misureaudio

Top Bottom