• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dune 2021

Offler

I have seen Dune Part One yesterday and I think its amazing. Its because i am quite familiar with cinematography and directing of Dennis Villeneue and he really can capture the slow-paced epic scifi style from early 80s, yet in more colorful and interesting manner.

I havent read the books, and I have been to introduced to Dune in 2000 series and in Children of Dune few years late. Series have better chance to expose more of the story, and movies are at least to me completely different medium.

Villeneue apparently took the good ideas from both Lynches movie and series, corrected few misconceptions and added a good measure of art which was intended for Jodorovski's Dune. The influence by artwork of H.R. Giger on Harkonnen designs was obvious.

Casting was perfect from the very first reveal i have seen years ago. So just waiting for part two and i hope more parts to follow.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
And we shouldn't be so insensitive and forget the magnificent Sean Young:
a0QwjZz_460s.jpg

This for sure cemented her popularity among the sci fi kids back then. I see she got a role in the new one as well. That's a nice move. And Sean Young was pure alchemy incarnated in the '84 version.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I haven't seen Dune yet. I will. I am a Denis Villeneuve fan. He's IMO, one of the few directors capable of bringing you a blockbuster level of entertainment in a thinking person movie. The list of , again IMO, superb movies he's brought to the screen with a good degree of commercial success is substantial... and the man is versatile. he doesn't go for a trope, say the time travel trope ( hear it Nolan :(!!) from deep psychological drama (Incendies, Polytechnique) to mind-bending (Enemy, Arrival? a bit :) ) to seriously action-packed , dense brooding and intelligent thriller (Sicario, a great must-see movie) to serious sci-fi (Blade Runner 2049 which manages the seemingly impossible feat to be better than the original... there I said it!! :eek:, although coming to that conclusion, required a few viewings of both which I did with the pandemic et al.. ...and yes, let's repeat it "Arrival" a superb well-made, intelligent, riveting movie. One of my favorite movies of all time...easily support multiple viewings... as do most of Villeneuve's movies..

Yeah! I will watch Dune 1 and Dune 2when it comes out ...I only hope they don't commit the sin of getting another director for Dune 2 .. remember they did that with Sicario 2... which could not, but really could not elevate itself to the level of Sicario 1 .. although it is entertaining in its own right..

Will try to see if I can get HBO Max, here with some VPN.. Hopes are not high but if it works .. :D

Peace

Offler

Will try to see if I can get HBO Max, here with some VPN.. Hopes are not high but if it works .. :D

Peace
I recommend the cinema. Even when i use my PC for watching BluRays and i invested into quality stereo speakers with great deep bass, i would say that this might be a reason for me to consider subwoofer :D

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recommend the cinema. Even when i use my PC for watching BluRays and i invested into quality stereo speakers with great deep bass, i would say that this might be a reason for me to consider subwoofer :D
That will have to wait until I travel to the US.
I have a decent HT system reaching in the low 20's...

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Again and again I find I'm lonely or among very few who really likes the Lynch version.

Now, if there are some cineasts among you, you might find this piece of cinematographic history fascinating. Lynch's version really started before he took over. He wasn't even in the picture. It was a project that a much, much liked, almost cultish director Alejandro Jodorowsky wanted to make and he picked non other than HR Giger to do the props. The project stopped only after a lot of artifacts were made and some money already went into it. It needed to be finished as they believed they will save some money that was invested.

This is why I simply loved the design and although I see many people hate this version it left a deep impact on visuals of later adaptations. (In fact, people who really love Lynch, hate this movie and people who don't care for Lynch often like this Dune)

Personally, I was even satisfied with how Sting played his role (otherwise I'm not a big fan). The Baron (Kenneth McMillan), Duke Leto (Mr. Prochnow), Linda Hunt, Leonardo Cimino Paul L. Smith...

Must have seen it for a thousand times. There's a documentary on this version.

I absolutely think the David Lynch version is art. I am not a big fan of Dune as books. I think The author was repetitive but the world building and concepts were creative and I love the films ans shows that sprung from thre books.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dare say that the Lynch version is cartoonish. The acting is poor. The set are good but are too steampunk for any future civilization. The special effects are no better than many 50’s B movies. For context, Dune came after Star Wars. So it wasn’t a VFX technology issue.
It was bad and has not aged well. Subsequent viewings elicit more cringes …
Sorry, there aren’t any redeeming anything in the (disavowed by) Lynch version.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I dare say that the Lynch version is cartoonish. The acting is poor. The set are good but are too steampunk for any future civilization. The special effects are no better than many 50’s B movies. For context, Dune came after Star Wars. So it wasn’t a VFX technology issue.
It was bad and has not aged well. Subsequent viewings elicit more cringes …
Sorry, there aren’t any redeeming anything in the (disavowed by) Lynch version.
Like you were describing your own comment.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
David Lynch's Dune was over the top craziness an that's reason enough to love it.

I don't believe there is a hidden political message in Frank Herbert's work. The story is out there in the zone where science fiction almost becomes fantasy because Paul's abilities are more like magic than anything within the realm of possible science. The world was very different in 1965. Viet Nam was on everyone's mind in the US. There was no internet, lightweight mobile phones, or PC's or discussion of climate change.

The saying goes "if you can remember the 60's, you really weren't there."

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And we shouldn't be so insensitive and forget the magnificent Sean Young:

This for sure cemented her popularity among the sci fi kids back then. I see she got a role in the new one as well. That's a nice move.

Hmm, no, I don't think she's in Villeneuve's movie? You might be thinking of this nonsense

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Took the opportunity to watch that movie in an IMAX Cinema. Music Hans Zimmer. It's Big.

As someone who also read the books I am really impressed. I cannot wait for the next Part :)
Agree to that, I like all the previous movies of the director Denis Villeneuve, like Prisiones, Enemy and Incendies.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My wife and I watched over the course of a couple of nights. I enjoyed the books and liked this adaptation. My wife was really upset by the sudden ending. I saw it coming. :) It is not a tale that fits one 2.5 hour flick…

Was dating my wife when the Lynch one came out. Only movie I have seen that handed out a glossary of terms on your way into the theater! My wife mainly remembers I tried to help her understand it.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
But, after all is said and done, this is what I think will be the greatest challenge for the new film:

965a48cc890c235cdde076f6ebf51461.jpg

The most magnificent child role in cinema. Alicia Witt. A little girl that managed to convince audience her consciousness is much bigger than her age and that her mind is ominous and sinister. No other child role comes close.

Check this:
64dcc39b1a65ad77c72504f6e21b2843.jpg

- Is she smiling?
- Yes.
- Are you scared?
- Hell yes!

Can you locate her smile precisely? What part of her face is indeed smiling? Remind you of someone?

Last edited:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
(Blade Runner 2049 which manages the seemingly impossible feat to be better than the original... there I said it!! :eek:,

:D :D :D
There, you said it all! The new Bladerunner must be the dumbest movie in modern times. If no other BS in that movie was ever said nor done and the only BS was the septic tank that spewed from Jared's mouth in that one monologue scene, it would still be the dumbest movie in history of cinema. I even think that if that monologue was used to sell audiophool cables, that even audiophools wouldn't buy it.

symphara

Blade Runner 2049 which manages the seemingly impossible feat to be better than the original... there I said it!!

Sure it looks good and Gosling is charming, but I hated it, it was a weak movie with an inane story, an absurd bad guy, driven by cheap trendy misanthropy.

It insulted the audience by claiming some connection to Philip K. Dick's masterpiece. I'm happy it flopped, lest they made more.

LightninBoy

Was dating my wife when the Lynch one came out. Only movie I have seen that handed out a glossary of terms on your way into the theater! My wife mainly remembers I tried to help her understand it.

They also included it with the VCR cassette. Somehow, when I rented the tape, the booklet was still in the packaging.

Top Bottom