• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Yes - but how does one know NOW what a 'timeless classic' is?
It's possible to know NOW, if you listen to an album a million times and are not sick of it and it still blows your mind
Same with Seinfeld and every other classic piece of art.
Nothing blows me away and is burnt in my brain as the true classic albums (In Utero, OK Computer, Led Zeppelin albums, Genesis - Selling England By The Pound etc)
Recent stuff I've heard that had that effect on me is Joanna Newsom albums (but she's not really a "new" artist) but I feel her albums will still be good 30 years from now

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Quite. Asking 'Which album of a relatively new band, released in the last 5 years is a timeless classic?' is...premature
Agreed. You cannot know in advance what a timeless classic will be. People who bought Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd albums in the 70s could not know they would be timeless classics. They just liked the music and bought the album. You can do the same. If you like an album released recently, buy it, stream it, or whatever and, who knows, in 30 years time you can tell your kids that this album is a timeless classic now.

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You said a timeless classic was 'an album you can listen to 30 years from now and won't be outdated'...

BinkieHuckerback

Agreed. You cannot know in advance what a timeless classic will be. People who bought Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd albums in the 70s could not know they would be timeless classics. They just liked the music and bought the album. You can do the same. If you like an album released recently, buy it, stream it, or whatever and, who knows, in 30 years time you can tell your kids that this album is a timeless classic now.
...hindsight

Robin L

Master Contributor
If you don't like the music being made right now, make some of your own.

Buncha whiners.

BinkieHuckerback

Modern music is great, as good as music has ever been. What's 'popular' does not reflect what's going on.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
If you don't like the music being made right now, make some of your own.

Buncha whiners.
Lol
Iike some of it
But there's nothing super extraordinary like in the past
Some of the soul in music (and the world) has been lost

gsp1971

Forum Donor
By the way, please give me some feedback while on the subject of timeless classics.

I have been thinking to create a thread, where people can vote for their favorite album from each year since the 1950s from a list that myself and other volunteers will compile. The most voted for album for every year will be selected, we will keep the track record in Excel, and in the end we will have a list of 50-60 albums which will be something like the 'ultimate60 music library'.

Albums shortlisted for each year will have to be great in terms of both performance and recording quality. Remember we will be looking to compile an 'ultimate60 music library' covering the best performances and recordings from 1950s until today.

Please let me know if that would be of interest to anyone and if you would be willing to participate / assist with this project.

Thx

BinkieHuckerback

Lol
Iike some of it
But there's nothing super extraordinary like in the past
Some of the soul in music (and the world) has been lost
What's 'soul' in music? Yearning for a non-existent past. I can imagine some folk in the 1970s saying the same thing.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What's 'soul' in music? Yearning for a non-existent past. I can imagine some folk in the 1970s saying the same thing.
OK
Then tell me who's the modern day Jimy Hendrix?
Or am I just yearning for some BS imaginary feelings .

Robin L

Master Contributor
Palestrina. That's got "soul".

People are simply the most excited by the music they were hearing during their first adolescent rush of hormones. Once that buzz wears off, interest in new music wears off. Musicians, continually making music, take longer to lose interest. But those "halcyon days of yore" have everything to do with the music heard when first falling in love [or lust].

BinkieHuckerback

OK
Then tell me who's the modern day Jimy Hendrix?
Or am I just yearning for some BS imaginary feelings .
There's no 'modern day Jimi Hendrix'. You're missing the point. People love what they grow up with. I know people who think that 'Take That' made 'timeless classics'. EVERY generation thinks it produced 'timeless classics'

BinkieHuckerback

Palestrina. That's got "soul".

People are simply the most excited by the music they were hearing during their first adolescent rush of hormones. Once that buzz wears off, interest in new music wears off. Musicians, continually making music, take longer to lose interest. But those "halcyon days of yore" have everything to do with the music heard when first falling in love [or lust].
I don't even know what 'soul' means in any context. I agree with the 'halcyon days' bit.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I don't even know what 'soul' means in any context. I agree with the 'halcyon days' bit.
Soul can refer to a sub-genre of sixties/seventies R & B. "Soul Music" adapted vital elements of gospel singing to R & B music. That would be the most musically relevant use of the term. One the other hand, there is music that is deliberately connected to religious practice. I don't know about you, but as far as I'm concerned, J. S. Bach's "Christ Lag in Totesbanden"'s got soul, and trust me when I say I'm no church go-er. A lot of music intended for performance in the church affects me in ways no other music does.:

Where is desire for a convincing expression of emotion, or at least simulacrum of emotion, via audio reproduction, the term "soul" is often used. You will find this sort of talk in most subjective reviews of audio gear, where the scribes ascribe the emotional or spiritual aspects of music to the gear playing that music.

Last edited:

BinkieHuckerback

Soul can refer to a sub-genre of sixties/seventies R & B. "Soul Music" adapted vial elements of gospel singing to R & B music. That would be the most musically relevant use of the term. One the other hand, there is music that is deliberately connected to religious practice. I don't know about you, but as far as I'm concerned, J. S. Bach's "Christ Lag in Totesbanden"'s got soul, and trust me when I say I'm no church go-er. A lot of music intended for performance in the church affects me in ways no other music does.:

Where is desire for a convincing expression of emotion, or at least simulacrum of emotion, via audio reproduction, the term "soul" is often used. You will find this sort of talk in most subjective reviews of audio gear, where the scribes ascribe the emotional or spiritual aspects of music to the gear playing that music.
Yes. 'Subjective'. I understand what you're getting at but it's so vague (it means different things to different people) that it's not useful. I bey there are people who think that Adele or Ed Sheeran make music with 'soul'.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yes. 'Subjective'. I understand what you're getting at but it's so vague (it means different things to different people) that it's not useful. I bey there are people who think that Adele or Ed Sheeran make music with 'soul'.
I tend to think of in terms of Philip K. Dick: because of the need of substitutes for actual emotional connections in a mostly synthetic world, we accept simulacra instead.

BinkieHuckerback

I tend to think of in terms of Philip K. Dick: because of the need of substitutes for actual emotional connections in a mostly synthetic world, we accept simulacra instead.
I bet you do, that doesn't make much sense to me either....I experience the world every day and it's amazing. No need for concepts like 'soul'. I ride my bike and see a kestrel hovering over prospective prey, or a rainbow above, clouds and wind and rain. No need for anything metaphysical, it's there. I feel an 'emotional connection' at the time I see these things. Me, in that time, that place. Ephemeral. No 'soul', just my experience.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I think the whole "music was better in the old days" -thing has a lot to do with selective memory.

If you had a time machine, travelled back to a "golden era" and tuned into a random radio station, you'd probably be surprised at how much horrible run-of-the-mill dribble would be playing non-stop, and how seldomly the tracks that are considered classics today would pop up.

Top Bottom