Recent content by andrewngu

1. A

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

But doesn't Benchmark also make a preamplifier? https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-la4-line-amplifier "The LA4 and HPA4 are the only line amplifier/preamplifiers that we recommend inserting between a DAC and the AHB2. The LA4 or HPA4 can be inserted between a Benchmark DAC3 and AHB2...
  2. A

I know amir hates this dude, but this pretty much summed up my experience: I'm certain the AHB2 is a great amp, but it just wasn't for me.
  3. A

this makes sense to me. i was under the impression that using digital volume control results in a lowering of dynamic range.
  4. A

I actually don't use EQ with the Naim. It's a streamer, DAC, amplifier all-in-one. I purchased the RME ADI to use it with the Benchmark. When I was testing the Benchmark, I had my iMac m2 Air -> RME via USB -> Benchmark AHB2. I'm wondering if having a preamp between the DAC and the amplifier is...
  5. A

Not sure if its worth mentioning, but what prompted me to order the Benchmark was the success I had in trading in my Focal Stellias ($3k and panned by Amir) for the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Noire ($800 w/ superb measurements). Who wouldn't be open to trading down for better performance while saving...
  6. A

Yes, it's quite possible that the high frequencies of the old amp are more muted or less revealing than the Benchmark and my ears might have perceived the newly discovered detail as sibilance. Whatever it was, I found the sound to be fatiguing. I'm fully aware that we are all victims to our...
  7. A

My other amp is the Naim Uniti Nova. Its measurements can be found on Stereophile for anyone who might be interested https://www.stereophile.com/content/naim-audio-uniti-nova-integrated-amplifier-media-player-measurements
  8. A

Does a new amplifier generally require a repositioning of speakers?

I have brand new separates on order to replace my all-in-one player, which should hopefully arrive this week. Last year, I went through the tedious exercise of dialing in my speaker position for my room, which included both prolonged listening tests and taking measurements. The whole ordeal was...
  9. A

I never said there was anything wrong with the amp, seems like there are plenty of folks who love it and are happy with it, which is awesome. In my case, it's purely a matter of my very subjective taste. I didn't perform a measurement with the AHB2, but have done it with my old amp in an attempt...
  10. A

No, I didn't do a blind test or tried level matching. My evaluation was purely subjective and admittedly, probably of little value to anyone on this forum. I just played my favorites at a few different levels. I went into to this, fully hoping that I could replace my expensive, poor measuring...
  11. A

I'm wondering if using its matching preamp would have given a much better sound vs. plugging my DAC straight into it. I also didn't bother playing with speaker position as they were optimized for the Naim, which was a laborious and meticulous exercise. It's also quite possible that I had gotten...
  12. A

I really wanted to like this amplifier. I ordered this and used my RME ADI-2 DAC straight into it to drive my KEF Reference 3's. The sound was cold, clinical and sibilant. I was hoping I could replace my Naim Uniti Nova, the big brother to the Atom, which was recently reviewed and trashed by...
  13. A

Kef to announce new products?

'Fraid so. Them's the breaks in hi-fi lol.
Top Bottom