Recent content by ariendj

1. A

Phono Cartridge Response Measurement Script

Here's mine: I'm also seeing tube modes on the lower frequencies. At first I discarded my findings, after all, we're comparing two variants of a measurement of an imperfect test record. But then it occurred to me that there may be something we can get out of this: For the frequency range...
  2. A

I've been contemplating how I can verify that a frequency response graph is indeed the cart's own frequency response and not the test record itself. I had an idea that I'd like you guys to chime in on. Say, we record a frequency response sweep from a 33rpm test record, no RIAA. Then we do the...
  3. A

That has never been done before and would surely deliver some brand new insights. Maybe we'd be able to identify the test disc that was used purely by looking at the waterfall. It might be helpful in discering the test disc characteristics vs the cart characteristics.
  4. A

I only have linear trackers set up right now - SL QL 15 and SL L3. There's no antiskate I can play with. But the stylus on my ATN 152 seems to have sagged to one side while I had it laying on its side in storage (stupid me!!) so that it's off center. I'll try to set it straight and measure the...
  5. A

I totally appreciate the work you're doing. There's never been any effort like this and your work might be filling a bigger gap than you think. You may find graphs made with your scripts in a Hifi magazine one of these days ;-) Funny that you mention microcontrollers, that's what came to my...
  6. A

Changing the version number when changing the (published) code is - ethics aside - just a practical neccessity. The issue arises when the project does not have a name. If it were called "Scott's-script-modified-by-JP-version-1.0" and you'd change it, you'd probably call it...
  7. A

There are some issues that need clarification: Under what license (read: terms and conditions) did Scott Wurcer publish the original version of this script? What license would @JP like to use for his additions to the script (bearing in mind that his licensing would have to be compatible with...
  8. A

I see your point but I also agree that the script could use some documentation/clarification/comments in the code. I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I needed to have ChatGPT expain it to me :facepalm:
  9. A

Sure, there are carts that do 40dB+ without any assistance. The thing is, I'm not particularly wealthy so I'll just buy the best I can afford and then tweak the hell out of it :cool:
  10. A

This article from a 1979 issue of Elector Magazine should explain it a lot better than I can. Yes, I know it's from Vinyl Engine, but I'm the one who uploaded it :p All I can add to it is that stereo image improves by a lot, if your speaker setup is up to it. If channel volume and listening...
  11. A

I've been playing around with my Denon PCC test record and my AT132/ATN152 combo, trying to get it to do 40dB+ of separation again by means of active compensation. First step is to measure crosstalk as is, of course. But I noticed something weird. LtoR crosstalk was only at around 20dB, while...
  12. A

Great work! I have one small request, though. Could you add a hint on which graph is left and which is right? I know that I can get the info from the source code, but if I look at the graph in five years time, I'll probably have forgotten about that.
  13. A

Very nice :) What Denon is this? The XG 7001 or the ST 105? What's the cart? MM or MC? For nice and clean ( =easy to read) graphs I like to bandpass the signal in audacity. Conveniently that also removes all ticks pops and other artifacts. You could also make a correction signal for your setup...
  14. A

My findings have been similar. Only two discs have been usable for crosstalk measurements. The Denon, which was produced exclusively for crosstalk measurement and only has a 1kHz test tone, and the B&K frequency sweep that I used to confirm my findings. Every other frequency sweep test disc...
  15. A

Thanks for the offer! @USER alerted me to the fact that the STR 100 seller on ebay was increasing the price. But on a positive note, he also started to offer international shipping, so I bought one. Should be on its way right now. About crosstalk: I own two Denon PCC 1000 stand-alone crosstalk...
Top Bottom