Recent content by Boomzilla

1. B

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

I'm done. ASR strikes me as having a bunch of airhead followers of an outspoken guru. To give Amirm fair due, though, measurements and opinions are segregated and opinions are generally qualified. But that (important) distinction is consistently ignored by the average ASR poster, who gloms onto...
  2. B

Marketing photos never are. Symmetry is an obvious requirement for any bipolar or dipolar speaker, and a pretty marketing photo does not change that. In fact, shame on you for even trying to muddy the water this way. You know better!
  3. B

And therein lies the question - Ideally, a room with symmetrical right and left halves, and one where a minimum of four or five feet of clearance is available from the back wall. But the speakers will ABSOLUTELY sound differently in different rooms (of course, this is true of ALL speakers, but...
  4. B

Review and Measurements of Crown XLS 1502 Amp

The cleanest PA amp is the one WITHOUT the additional A-D/D-A converter.
  5. B

The crux of the matter is the design intent. For any dipole or bipole radiator, the ROOM IS PART OF THE DESIGNER'S INTENDED SOUND. By discarding the room sounds and measuring only the anechoic response, you discard almost half of the expected acoustic. That's why dipole and bipole radiating...
  6. B

I could go through the reasons why an on-axis anechoic measurement is completely inappropriate for a dipole radiator but why bother. Pearls before swine...
  7. B

And therein lies the problem. All Magnepan speakers (including the LRS) were never intended to be measured (or listened to) "as if there was no room." The entire design is intended to utilize the room ambience to act in conjunction with the speaker output to provide the intended listening...
  8. B

If the initial photo was representative of the test conditions, the "tests" are worthless. The speakers were designed to have space behind them, and for the two speaker locations to be symmetrically placed in the listening room. Ignore those conditions at your peril. Now the questions that...
  9. B

PS Audio Noise Harvester AC Cleaner Review

Fraudulent products SHOULD be outed. If ASR or other forums provide that service, BRAVO! But the "mad dogs" quickly claim that since some claims are fraudulent, then the entire company's product line is too. Prove it. Pick a top of the line PS-Audio preamplifier, power amplifier, or DAC...
  10. B

Hi @KaizerSoze - I can't argue with any of your comments about those specific products. They meet the common definition of "snake oil." However, I have heard (and owned) PS Audio preamplifiers and power amps. I didn't read the manufacturer's claims for any of them since I bought them used...
  11. B

Hi @sergeauckland - I'd agree that a 100% honest and reliable provider is preferred, but I won't toss out an entire brand for one bad product. Hyperbole is common in advertising however inherently dishonest it may be. I've owned PS Audio products before that performed well, were well-made with...
  12. B

I can't deny that - but I still contend that products should be evaluated individually.
  13. B

The fourth post in this thread quotes PS Audio's description of the Noise Harvester as "A simple product designed to reduce power line noise above 10kHz." I based my post on that. No, I haven't read all the PS Audio advertising for the device (or all 11 pages of this thread), and yes, "all the...
  14. B

Well, @amirm - It seems unfair to test an item, verify that it does exactly what the manufacturer claims it does (attenuates noise above 10k Hz.), and then damn the designer because it doesn't do what YOU want it to do (clean up AC mains noise sufficiently to make an audible improvement) -...
Top Bottom