Recent content by CedarX

1. C

KZ Castor Harman Target IEM Review

In addition, @Kennyknetter data is an "average/aggregated" view. I don't think distortion always works that way: sometimes, it's the distortion of a specific peak that I notice even if, on average, distortion is not noticeable. Coming back to the Castor (I own both the "Harman" and "Bass"...
  2. C

KZ Castor Harman Target IEM Review

A fair question… I would agree with @restorer-john if stated that way: “But we I know headphones that follow the Harman-curve are far from neutral or accurate for me.” As measured by Oratory, the SE846 is not too far from the Harman in-ear 2019 target, and pretty close to something like the...
  3. C

Interesting new Moondrop product- DSP equipped IEM cable

I have not noticed any clipping issue (I may have missed it!). I suspect that’s why the FreeDSP app limits the filter gain to +3dB: they may have a built-in, default, -3 or -4dB preamp gain.
  4. C

It is an issue as it modifies the presets calculated by AutoEQ, but since AutoEQ is an optimization calculation based on an average target and an imperfect HP/IEM measurement, it is close enough IMHO, and makes it for a very good baseline to start messing around with…
  5. C

I use AutoEQ quite often with FreeDSP: I select “Custom Parametric EQ”, delete the default shelf filters, and add some to get 9x peak filters. On each one I set the min & max gain to -3 & +13dB +12dB(FreeDSP constraint) and, in the Optimizer section, I enter 40-10,000 as Freq. range. This is...
  6. C

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

See @Phenoez8 review of Moondrop MAY—most likely the same cable—here: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/moondrop-may-usb-c-headphones-review.52396/ …and Headphones.com review of FreeDSP here: https://headphones.com/blogs/reviews/moondrop-free-dsp-review-measurements...
  7. C

GoldenSounds passes apparently ABX test for DACs (NOT Really)

GoldenSounds ran his ABX tests with a Holo Audio May DAC—his preferred DAC. I noticed he was quite critical of the Denafrips R2R DACs he reviewed, particularly the “misleading” NOS mode. Not surprisingly (in a good way!), he appears quite knowledgeable about R2R DAC technology. Is the May DAC...
  8. C

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

From another one of his blog posts, I did not know about these circa 2010-2017 “Open Baffle” designs: Another unconventional design? I also noticed that Tekton did publish measurements 15 years ago: Fostex FE126E & dual 10-inch subwoofer home theater system (Oct 2009)
  9. C

If I use an ESS-based DAC that has the THD compensation registers exposed for adjustment, and I record two files of the same track: one with the registers set for min. THD and the other with the registers set for for max. THD. If I do an ABX comparison between these two files and I can ear a...
  10. C

There might be some ‘technical’ issues/concerns with the details of the ABX tests he did, but to be positive, let say it’s a good ABX test… The part I’m questioning is what he uses the ABX test for: he demonstrates that, granted his young age, exceptional hearing, a treble boost applied to an...
  11. C

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

Not sure I understand your logic here… You’re free to use whatever DAC/Amp you want with the analog cable. They give you the option of a USB-C cable that also happens to have a DSP… but you don’t have to use it. You can use, say a Qudelix 5K with the analog cable and have DSP, or a phone app...
  12. C

Neutron Hifi DAC V1

Don’t disagree with your assessment, but the battery may be seen as a big negative by some, and the 5K did not measure great as an USB DAC/Amp (due to the use of the QCC5124 as USB bridge?). FiiO is another option.
  13. C

Are the actual files used by GoldenSounds for his ABX comparison available somewhere? I couldn’t find them…
  14. C

Moondrop teases Hi-Fi smartphone

From Head-Fi, a link to Chinese social media teardown pictures: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8998433945?obj_source=wise&obj_name=a0-bpb-c8998433945-d0-e0&obj_param2=safari&has_token=1&bdid=603D256DD30E1A982FB15077CC659043&qd=scheme&invoke_method_type=1#/ The DAC/Amp is a dual CS43131:
  15. C

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

I would disagree here: ASR’s reviews are about informing, and discussing audio products, based on facts. I don’t think it’s about dictating what members should or shouldn’t purchase… or did I miss something? I don’t wish Tekton to implode or get bankrupt… I wish they learn from Amir’s review...
Top Bottom