Recent content by DaveBoswell

1. D

REW SPL plot can be a bit of a liar (is only correct for 1 cycle tone)

Interesting thread but not quite sure what the final conclusion is, but reminds me of a question that I had for some time that I have not seen an answer to in other posts or the REW documentation from a recent re-read: @JohnPM Given that the peak sound pressure at a given frequency can vary in...
  2. D

How does a loudspeaker cone generate acoustical pressure?

Thanks @jackocleebrown and @René - Acculution.com for both of these very interesting and informative posts. I think one thing that was not mentioned that I would like to confirm is that yes in fact the instant the cone commences to accelerate outwards, there is, as you would intuitively think...
  3. D

Multi-Sub Optimizer (MSO): Lessons Learned, Tips & Tricks

@FrantzM just select the "Use Accoustic Timing Reference" option on the "Measure" dialog box prior to measuring (see below). You will know it is on if you hear a little chirp at the begining and the end of the sweep. The timing reference should come out of the the L or the R speaker. What many...
  4. D

agreed - what @Kervel said, however in a perfect world you are measuring each sub in the extreme nearfield (i.e. mic less than 1 inch from driver) with subs in the same place in the room, or at min in the extreme nearfield in the sub's normal position. Goal with the measurement is to minimize...
  5. D

you can check out the spreadsheet in this link below as well as a great source of info. Look for the CEA 2010 at 2m numbers in 31.5-50Hz range for your various subs and use that for relative limits. It's not super precise as the limit is not a hard and fast line but a range that requires some...
  6. D

I posted this a few days ago in AVS and think it might help in some of your questions @Willem . Link here, and note there were a few comments and suggestions right after that suggests a method of "Limit Matching" your subs by measuring each one in turn one by one with increasing Gain and...
  7. D

REW help - sub null can't seem to fix

BTW I had another look at your room mode calc sheet - confirmed your real issue not that you have nulls at 45-50Hz, it's you have large peaks at 40 and 80Hz becuse you length and width modes are stacking on top of each other right where your seating position is. You should be able to tame these...
  8. D

Perfect - if you have miniDSP and REW - you've got all you need - then I strongly suggest you download MSO (Multi Sub Optimizer) - after a few hours learning curve it'll do all the heavy lifting for you and can look at thousands of permutations of filter settings, delays, AP filters. etc in less...
  9. D

And you also may just have two big peaks at 40hz and 80Hz that simply need to be eq'd flat. If you test a wider frequency range (say up to 200-300 Hz) with just the sub alone (bypassing the crossover in your AVR/DAC etc), you would be able to see better the general trend of the FR.
  10. D

@Harris48 , could you tell us more about the room and setup - dimensions, 1 sub or multiple, if multiple, are the subs a mixture of sealed and ported? The easy answer is to say just get a second sub, a DSP and use MSO to tune the sub frequencies which many are doing, including myself, to great...
  11. D

REW Eq cutting too much bass

Is it possible you have a HPF defined for preset 3 in your DSP that is on a different configuration page in the DSP UI (for inputs/outputs/crossover)? That's what it looks like, but you've cleared out all PEQ. Either that or perhaps you put in a much lower Q for one the test filters by mistake.
  12. D

Right - forgot about your note re the filters outside of the revised range. A thought: could you just manually set the max and min of the filters you want "forced lock" to have a max and min that are slightly above and slightly below the range? I do this for a gain on one sub that I want hard...
  13. D

Loudness Management (Fletcher-munson?) - Dolby vs Audyssey Dynamic EQ in current generation AVR's

@snickers it's an Anthem AVM50v and I typically run in 5.1 - no spots for my rear speakers anymore after I moved a few years ago. Not sure what the newer ones do and have scanned through their manuals but have not found anything definitive. This feature is on my list for next upgrade for sure as...
  14. D

Step 3 Add Shared Filters: Now let's see how good we can get with a bunch of shared filters (i.e. all the same for each of the three subs). Once again using shared filters means that 100% of the each sub's headroom is preserved because no sub will be pulling the weight of another sub at a...
  15. D

Step 0 Before: Here is the seat to seat "before". Note major suck out at 40Hz, and some problems between 70-100Hz. Ignore any higher freq than 100Hz for these charts as these measurements where low passed in my pre/pro. The approach will work for any range of measurement and optimizing. Step 1...
Top Bottom