Recent content by DIY Newbie 2020

1. D

GR Research X-LS Encore Kit Speaker Review

Thanks Rick, You have made it clear that we all agree that it would probably make no difference.;):) Amir may have some of the best gear and Danny may or may not agree with his methods but I would like to hear what Amir thought of the upgrade from his best instruments, his ears. I like and...
  2. D

Hi Amir, I like your YouTube videos. Keep them coming. I have asked and others have said that you most likely will not test the speakers Danny sent you. Will you be testing them for an A/B? It would be a shame to leave this hanging. I am a fan of the encores but like to know that there is...
  3. D

Build of gr-research X-LS Encore

Very happy with the basic Encores. I did beef up the bracing and added adhesive floor tile and sound damping foam to the walls. Poly fill and tube connectors. I didn't buy the no res or cross over upgrades. A/v2 is which model? I thought I'd try the Elac Uni UBi52 to see if DIY was all that...
  4. D

All I can say is that it was very intense trying to twist and solder, it was a test of finger strength and patience and some cursing. :):):) I have not had any buzzing or fatigue at the solder joints. As said you just need to make sure you have some slack. But how did Amir get on with the...
  5. D

Hi Rick, Did Amir get the upgraded X-LS Encores to test? What is the difference?
  6. D

How do the NX Studios compare to the XLS-Encores?
  7. D

So what do you think? How old would they be? I bet they still sound great.
  8. D

Hey wje those are interesting tweeters in the X-SLS pair, are they mark 1 versions Danny sells today as they seem to have a different waveguide.
  9. D

Hey xarkkon thanks very much for the comment. I am very happy with how they came out too. I painted the sides,top and back first. I glued the new baffles and had to use filler to make it all work. So I attached the front baffles and then tapped off them from the sides and painted from there...
  10. D

Thanks wje :)
  11. D

Thanks Rick. It is tricky for sure. I think I hold my breath every time I do one. :) DN
  12. D

I was not happy with the tweeter fitment that had large gaps. I fit new front baffles and went for a satin grey clear coated front /mint green chalk matt clear coated sides/back combination as the room is Timeless grey.
  13. D

Here is a picture of the almost finished product. I need to clear coat and wet sand and polish to finish them. I am thinking of changing the front baffles before that as the tweeter holes are 2mm too big after jig saw and router was not that accurate. I am enjoying running them in at the moment...
  14. D

Xarkkon, whatever the result Amir concludes for the upgraded kit, the basic kit is a good deal and at the end of the day if you like what you built and how it sounds to you in your house then it is an awesome experience all round. Can I say that I have never umm rounded over the outside face...
  15. D

WJE nice, very nice. :) I just finished by XLS encore kit and already they make me smile. :) Basic kit with no tube connectors or upgraded components as the budget is a little tight.
Top Bottom