Recent content by Forman

1. Forman

The History Of PC Audio (Creative 30 years of Sound Blaster story)

I remember how I wanted a sound card. The SB Pro with stereo sound. Computer audio - for most people - back then was more like computer noise. Pretty horrible beeping and buzzing. When my brother bought a Gravis Ultrasound I could not believe my ears. At the same time games with SVGA...
  2. Forman

Anybody have a liquid coolant leak in their PC and did it go well after regarding the cleanup?

Oh yeah. 3dmark, superpi,, Winbond BH5 torture, DICE, LN2 ... Overclocking and diy extreme cooling is how I got into physics and electronics.
  3. Forman

Anybody have a liquid coolant leak in their PC and did it go well after regarding the cleanup?

My HTPC had a massive leak after running tap water in a loop with copper and Al mixed for 3-4 years. When the circulation stopped the already way too soft tubes came loose from the cpu-block as the high temp made the silicon tubes even less compatible with the push lock fittings. I knowingly...
  4. Forman

Uptone EtherREGEN

Lie to people who want to lied to, and you´ll get rich. Tell the truth to those who want the truth, and you´ll make a living. Tell the truth to those who want to be lied to, and you´ll go broke. This has been true for thousands of years and it will continue until we get some laws in place to...
  5. Forman

How can bogus claims and inferior audio thrive in a competitive market?

Nash Equilibrium explains it. Just like the man behind the theory, John Forbes nash, the customers of reptile lubricant are experiencing things that are not real. Its only in their head. Just to make it clear: Im not saying that these people have a serious mental decease like schizophrenia...
  6. Forman

Poll: Do you use a subwoofer? (Explain why/why not)

No sub in my living room. With a response down to 20Hz 0db and 18Hz -3db there is no need. Got some 18" PA subs in the basement that on occasion has added some low freq. SPL. Always when the partying gets a little out of hand if im to believe the neighbors... and the police that always show...
  7. Forman

Do USB Audio Cables Make A Difference?

They suggest that you power your DAC from a power bank. If you have a self powered DAC you can disconnect the USB connector that carries the +5v power after the initial handshake. I bet most cables still have the USB-spec shielding intact, meaning there is still a possibility for ground loops...
  8. Forman

Golden Age of Japanese Audio

Stac CA-X preamp. Pretty thing.
  9. Forman

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

Messing with a tube fanatic cable-nut ... very fake A/B test :D
  10. Forman

Nelson Pass amps

You are absolutely right. I dint´t realize how old they are. I thought mid nineties, and that turned out to be pretty far from correct. I have never listened to the 555, but I always thought it was a MOSFET. Just goes to show how stupid it is to assume. After looking at the GFA-555...
  11. Forman

Nelson Pass amps

The 535 is a bipolar design, so its not a Pass design. Both input and output is BJT. 2SD1047/2SB817 outputs. Inputs are 2sc2362 . Looking at the schematics the 2535 does not seem to made up of 535s. The 535 is a 3-stage amp while the 2535 is a 4-stage amp. Input and output devices are the...
  12. Forman

STAX / DAC Pairing

I have the SR-2020 Lamda (old version with toshiba JFET input and pro bias). Tried with Squeezebox Touch, Behringer UCA202. a DIY DAC based on CS4398 / CS8416 and the Nevion DAC-AES8. Sqeezebox Touch - Surprisingly good. Very neutral and balanced sound. Behringer : Bright, flat and lacking...
Top Bottom