Recent content by gvl

1. gvl

Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier Review & Comparison

The review concluded it wasn’t clipping, just inability to deliver power without distorting badly.
  2. gvl

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Umm, you mean bulging?
  3. gvl

GoldenSounds passes apparently ABX test for DACs (NOT Really)

Isn’t it reasonable to assume if two DACs have a similar deviation due to different filters he would be able to hear them? Not saying this test proves anything apart from the fact certain humans can hear differences between filters if they have different frequency response.
  4. gvl

These are the results of upsampling not digitized on DAC output, right? Pardon my ignorance perhaps, but what kind of clock drift are we talking about here?
  5. gvl

It’s a Swiss Army knife for anything audio filtering, it can covert to DSD yes.
  6. gvl

Are we getting a glimpse into the actual “quality” of HQ Player processing?
  7. gvl

Oh wow, you don’t really need to have a bat gene to be able to hear those frequencies. What’s happening here?
  8. gvl

I thought a high enough rate would effectively disable the filter. He could also disable the filter on the May, but I didn’t hear he said he did.
  9. gvl

So differences in the frequency response that land in the frequencies that we humans can hear are potentially audible, how old is this news? Also I was waiting he would mention intersample overs and if any attempt was made to control them but no, so unless I missed it there’s reasonable doubt...
  10. gvl

Review and Measurements of Schiit Sys Passive Pre-amp/Switcher

It means the tube doesn’t amplify the signal hence the unity gain, It also means the tube is working in the cathode follower mode which allows low noise and distortion, for a tubed device anyway, which in turn means there’s no tube sound coloration here, so in other words the tube is kind of...
  11. gvl

Hi-Fi Streaming Device with headphone jack

Hi-res vs. lossless CD quality or even high rate compressed mp3s there’s very little difference in sound, so it’s important to have correct expectations. The Apple dongle is rather weak so you may want to try adding a headphone amp for more power. If a desktop setup works you can get a JDS Atom...
  12. gvl

What adapter (or streaming device as you say) is he using?
  13. gvl

Budget? And to set the expectations, he may not be able to hear differences with a better device as they tend to be pretty small. Real gains are in better headphones most of the time, but you may need a more powerful amp to drive them.
  14. gvl

This should work, but confirm with Schiit support to be sure.
  15. gvl

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-schiit-sys-passive-pre-amp-switcher.2335/post-1959238
Top Bottom