Recent content by HoweSound

1. HoweSound

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Really interesting choice. I became interested in his music after seeing the Ken Russell movie years ago. You are right, he would have taken his music to bold places in the 1920's.
  2. HoweSound

Audiophile Heaven With Only Two Components

I'm glad you were able to source discreet ones - I hate it when my components start blabbing to each other about overheard conversations in the room....
  3. HoweSound

CGI vs practical effects?

Have a look at "The Fall", a 2006 movie by Tarsem Singh. Made without CGI., but with stunning scenes and photography. Here's a wikipedia comment about the production: Tarsem Singh largely financed the film with his own funds, and paid members of the cast and crew on an equal basis rather than...
  4. HoweSound

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Audiophonics is now selling a stereo Nilai unit with dual mono power supplies. It appears they have discontinued the single power supply stereo unit - too bad, I really like the Audiophonics case for the original stereo model...
  5. HoweSound

How About Creating a Modern Cassette Player?

Really? I still remember the painful process of recording tapes from vinyl, fussing with level matching and hyper-vigilance trying to stop the tape at the exact end of track moment, then cueing the tone arm and hitting record at the precisely correct moment to avoid pops and crackles when the...
  6. HoweSound

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

I'm going to use these with my Schiit Freya S, so pretty much the same setup. Seems like a natural fit. Just wish the Freya had a trigger output.
  7. HoweSound

Sorry to keep jumping into this thread, but I'm reminded of singers taken too soon, still with much more to give. One of those is our treasure Lhasa De Sela - profound, mischievious, a beautiful soul:
  8. HoweSound

One more I miss and was lucky to see in person a couple of times:
  9. HoweSound

Roy Byrd (Professor Longhair) Mac Rebennack (Dr. John) Allen Toussaint Janis Joplin Maggie Roche John Lennon Harry Nilsson Jerry Garcia Tom Petty John Fahey
  10. HoweSound

Various Hypex NCx500 amp builds

I have the Nilai stereo assembled by Deer Creek; also very pleased.
  11. HoweSound

Your latest cool purchase

The X Fly ornithopter on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. I'm waiting impatiently for delivery, hopefuly later this month: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/x-fly-smartphone-controlled-winged-flight?utm_source=kickstarter&utm_medium=xfly#/
  12. HoweSound

Three very different amps. Which to choose?

Why limit yourself to Apollon? You can have great specs, lots of power and excellent quality for much less. I am partial to Audiophonics; here are three possibles: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-amplifiers/audiophonics-hpa-dm750et-1et9040ba-p-18943.html...
  13. HoweSound

Cheap and light DAP for sports?

They are perfectly acceptable for casual listening. No doubt the DAC is not SOTA and the amplifier circuit is probably limited by size/cost constraints. If I were to compare to a higher end DAP such as the several FiiOs that I have, I would say it sounds a bit "thin". I would spend the $40...
  14. HoweSound

Cheap and light DAP for sports?

I have a SanDisk Clip tucked in a drawer. Still works, but haven't used it for years,. It will play FLAC as well as MP3, I recall installing a different operating system on mine, which added some features. Here's a link to a newer version; cost - about $40...
  15. HoweSound

what are your industrial design favorites?

Here is my magnetic hover pen obtained via Kickstarter project. Available both in fountain pen and Schmidt roller cartridge versions:
Top Bottom