Recent content by jshelbyj

1. J

Why is professional audio in the WFH age so difficult?

BTW, I just ordered these which have the same mic as in 797 https://www.thomannmusic.com/beyerdynamic_dt297pv80_mk_ii.htm
  2. J

Nice! Yes, I did see the Coolermaster's which IMO are an improvement over my Sennheiser Game One's. They lack the harshness of other headset mics. My struggle is that they're still no where near the quality of what's possible with even a cheap stand alone condenser mic (or the mic on the...
  3. J

Casual review of Audiophonics MPA-S250NC

Sorry I missed this. I did A/B test them. Very scientific. Had my partner switch the cables without telling me while listening to a Dua Lipa track. IIRC I couldn't tell the difference. Except maybe at loud volumes when she hit a specific note one amp distorted in a specific way, but this was...
  4. J

Right, yeah the easy solution is a big condenser mic. Tried and true. I may go down that route, but since my role has me interfacing with dozens of strangers a day I'm reticent to be "that guy." Not that I judge anyone for doing it! I have met several people that do, and I think it's great. I'd...
  5. J

Professional video is easy at least! I wrote a blog post about my setup a few years ago. Still working very well. https://medium.com/@jshelbyj/the-ultimate-webcam-setup-for-working-from-home-57ba177b8eb9
  6. J

Thank you for coming to my rant. If you want professional sound on a video call, the only option is a large condenser mic right in your face. And if you want professional DSP for that mic (compressor/eq) that's not tied to your company laptop (meaning it's on device DSP that can be moved to...
  7. J

Topping E30 DAC Review

Can anyone recommend an alternative to the E30? I want to replace mine. I have all my audio equipment on a 12v switched power strip. When the signal from the sonos unit triggers the 12v signal, everything turns on. No stand by power draw, and everything is automated. Except the E30, when...
  8. J

Alternative to the PARASOUND SCAMP audio signal / power switcher?

This device detects and audio signal and switches on a power outlet. https://parasound.com/vintage/scamp.php It's discontinued and, while it works well, it's not something I would recommend. My used unit had a bad solder joint that failed terribly. Fixed it. Now it's developing a whine/buzz...
  9. J

Casual review of Audiophonics MPA-S250NC

I created this post because I haven't seen much talk on this forum about Audiophonics. Perhaps because they're a French company? Anyways, I just wanted people here to know that it's a good option. I ordered on Wednesday and it was delivered to Dallas from France today, Friday Since I didn't...
  10. J

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

You got me. I wouldn't buy on Amazon due to counterfeits. Looks like a 600w Meanwell on mouser runs for $80 which is less that 5% of the retail price of the C298. Pennies relative to the retail price of the device. I really gotta wonder what the BoM looks like on these. Why is the C298 rated at...
  11. J

Best way to ABX an amplifier?

Manually switching cables. It only takes a few seconds. True double blind would be impossible. Unconscious communication is going to be really tricky since we both know each other so well. I think walking into the room backwards after the switch and not making visual contact can overcome that...
  12. J

Essentially. I can buy a SMPS off of amazon for a few pennies that is dead silent but a company like NAD can't implement one? It does not bode well for the rest of the implementation of the amplifier.
  13. J

Best way to ABX an amplifier?

I have an assistant willing to help me blind test two amps. What music should I use? What testing protocols should I use? My partner and I just spent two hours trying to blind test a new NAD C298 vs an SMSL 36a. David vs. Goliath. I'm not convinced there is a difference at the volume levels...
  14. J

I just got the amp. The faintest hiss comes from the power supply inside. Have to put the ear to it to hear it. Frustrating.
Top Bottom