Recent content by markanini

1. M

Austrian Audio Hi-X60 Headphone Review

I feel like it will be a challenge to find a better closed back then AKG K371 and Shure SRH440 non-A. Initial impressions of the new Sennheiser HD620S are also lukewarm. And now I know to skip the AA Hi-X60. Thanks Amir for you honest review!
  2. M

What is the flattest target curve?

You probably found an old target of mine from Kurins target set. I do some mixing as a hobby for a decades. I find headphones and IEM useful for choosing sounds and use my monitor speakers to veto my choices as it usually translates better that way. Otherwise IEMs act as a microscope to the low...
  3. M

Best Sounding Budget Closed Back With EQ

If you find any remain stock of Shure SRH440 non-A I recommend it for the sound, it trades blows with AKG K371 IMO.
  4. M

What is the flattest target curve?

I'll share a target I like which is fairly middle of the road and can be adjusted to taste: https://listener800.github.io/eqplayground.html?share=Custom_Tilt&bass=6.6&tilt=0&treble=-1&ear=-1.5 In the Equalizer tab you can upload a familiar song to monitor the effects of the filters generated, by...
  5. M

Master Complaint Thread About Headphone Measurements

I can't disregard personal data, otherwise I'd be EQ-ing my devices to a curve I don't prefer, so it's not valueless to me. Either way there's always something valuable about research that elevates it beyond the circumstantial, which comes down to documented repeatability. Imagine an alternate...
  6. M

Master Complaint Thread About Headphone Measurements

It's easy to casually express doubts on the Harman targets. I've yet to see anyone provide concrete data to validate any concerns. Even my personal critique lacked any quality data, at best I had some criticism on methodology rigor of the Harman In-ear target, compared to the over-ear target...
  7. M

How to measure IEMs cheap for use with AutoEQ?

I predict they will be highly distorted in the frequency responce.
  8. M

Sennheiser HD620S

There's something visceral about the bass of closed back that I haven't heard in a open-back yet, even with EQ. It's harder to find a closed back with clean mids and highs though. I want to be excited about HD620 but if the graphs are to be taken literally it's a bit relaxed in the mids and...
  9. M

New IEM Threads & IEM Design Principles

There's no magic bullet, only trying different stuff until you find something that suits you. My best IEM is Truthear Red with stock silicone tips, this goes against traditional ideas and I've owned Etymotic sets to know it's better for me. Generally extra shallow IEMs like many TWS or 7Hz Zero...
  10. M

KZ Castor Harman Target IEM Review

You would need to factor more than that to model audibility of distortion. Firstly hearing sensitivity rises in an opposite direction peaking at 3 kHz. While it's input dependent, generally with test tones even an untrained listener will be able to identify distortion products of 2-6% between...
  11. M

KZ Castor Harman Target IEM Review

I own this IEM. Strong first impressions, expecially for the price, but beyond that I haven't used them much. The issue is with the sound being too V-shaped for my taste and there's some harshness up top. The distortion graph gives some clues as to why. My pet theory about the KZ brand is that...
  12. M

New Sennheiser HD 620S

Seems worth paying attention to.
  13. M

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

I boost treble above 4400kHz with a single high shelf filter by 2dB and it brings spatial qualities in line with what I expect. The original Zero was too rumbly for me to appreciate any spatial qualities. Hope this helps...
  14. M

Truthear Nova IEMs

How do you rank comfort vs. Moondrop May? There's some reversible hardware based mods for setups without EQ https://kr0mka.squig.link/?share=nova_white,nova_green,nova_green_y2_velvet https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32580267018.html https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004052516554.html
  15. M

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

There can be numberous reasons why DSP is used as a final step for the tuning of an IEM. But if you are just looking for people to agree with you no matter what you say that's kind of weird, even more so when the majority of IEMs are non-DSP and you are free to choose any IEM you want.
Top Bottom