Recent content by MarkS

1. MarkS

Extreme Snake Oil

How about we all go listen to some music for a while, instead of watching these car-crash videos?
  2. MarkS

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Meaningless without a control speaker.
  3. MarkS

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

After ten years of thinking about it (and first trying one on), I was hit by a wave of antifrugality and bought my grail watch:
  4. MarkS

Designing Speakers For Music As You Would Experience It Live - Interview with Roy Delgado

OK, great. Now tell me: how do you design a speaker with "better spatial quality"? Does this correlate with any measurements? Or do you just tinker and listen, tinker and listen, until you happen to hit upon a design with this feature? This one I sort of understand: I would guess that lower...
  5. MarkS

Cover me I'm going in! - Post your favorite song covers.

Something I'd never seen before: a 2004 Super Bowl commercial for Pepsi, with Beyonce, Britney Spears, and Pink singing "We Will Rock You" by Queen:
  6. MarkS

Cover me I'm going in! - Post your favorite song covers.

Robyn Adele Anderson does a Latin jazz cover of "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream
  7. MarkS

Designing Speakers For Music As You Would Experience It Live - Interview with Roy Delgado

OK, I'm completely mystified by this comment. As someone who attends a LOT of live classical performances, my goal is to have my system sound as much as possible like the live sound that I hear at these performances. And I don't see how anything other than a neutral speaker would be in service...
  8. MarkS

Certainly plausible. I would love to test this by listening outside the room to different speaker types playing the same recording at the same volume.
  9. MarkS

What are these "other approaches" and "other goals"? Can they be quantified by measurements, or only by listening?
  10. MarkS

So what characteristic does this speaker possess (that most others, apparently, do not) that leads to this "outside the room it sounds real" effect? Or is it all just coincidence? If there had been Salon 2's in there playing that same recording (whatever it was), would the result have been the...
  11. MarkS

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

I would expect the measurements are reliably showing the sound amplitude at different frequencies (above 200 Hz or so, where the method is applicable) and different angles, and that the waterfall plot is reliably showing the time-decay behavior. The quasi-line-source design should not impact...
  12. MarkS

Magico new S5

Pretty sure I won't be picking these up ... https://www.magicoaudio.com/s-series-s5
  13. MarkS

Extreme Snake Oil

I was wondering what the melt value was, then I saw this: :facepalm:
  14. MarkS

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

Only the smart ones (and the only forum they look at is ASR) :)
  15. MarkS

Extreme Snake Oil

And says that he's a high-school dropout. I wouldn't want to claim that education is everything, but can we trust him to get the quantum mechanics right in his pink fuses?
Top Bottom