Recent content by Matt_Holland

1. M

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Prefer the value for money or the sound? ;)
  2. M

Designing Speakers For Music As You Would Experience It Live - Interview with Roy Delgado

I wasn’t suggesting that it will be a winning strategy, just that good engineering can be used to deliver the performance aims. We should acknowledge that another large hifi speaker manufacturer, B&W, has a non-linear house sound (boosted HF) and they sell bucket loads of speakers. So, like...
  3. M

Designing Speakers For Music As You Would Experience It Live - Interview with Roy Delgado

Understand or just you don’t agree? If a speaker manufacturer deliberately engineers a non-linear house sound for its products and does it well by controlling directivity and keeping distortion low, then I see nothing wrong. This can still be good engineering. In my opinion it’s a good thing...
  4. M

Thanks. Will watch later. On a general note, should we respect a design philosophy that aims to colour the sound in a deliberate way where the benefits of the colouration are subjectively valid and may appeal to a certain group of people? If the designer uses good measurement tools and...
  5. M

What is best box volume for ported woofer ?

Doesn’t WinISD give you a recommended ported box size? Just play around with box size and tuning frequency until you get the response shape and group delay you prefer. Your woofer Qts should be low ideally as well. A rough rule of thumb for a porter box is that the equivalent sealed box Qtc...
  6. M

What is best box volume for ported woofer ?

Big box with tuning to give flat response or shallow roll off. The box volume for best damping in a reflex cabinet (assuming you’re using a woofer with suitable parameters) has an equivalent sealed box Qtc of around 0.5.
  7. M

Functional need: preamp, streamer, DAC, Room correction/bass management 2.2 system.

Sorry to recommend vapourware but the forthcoming Wiim Ultra ticks all your boxes. That’s assuming that the room correction feature will be available in the Wiim app at some point soon, otherwise you’ll have to do with manual EQ. And that it will get Roon certified shortly after release like...
  8. M

New Fosi Audio V3 Mono vs Topping PA5 II vs Topping PA7 (inc. 'Plus' versions)...and Aiyima A70

If your speakers drop below 4 Ohm then it might be beneficial to have more current available? Also, how does EDPR affect things? I’ve seen EDPR curves on some speaker tests suggest equivalent loads at certain frequencies to be horribly low, like sub 2 Ohm? Does this also justify having an...
  9. M

New Fosi Audio V3 Mono vs Topping PA5 II vs Topping PA7 (inc. 'Plus' versions)...and Aiyima A70

Anything with a 6” or larger mid-bass driver I’d say. Have as much clean power as you can afford I say.
  10. M

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

This is a terrific summing up. Well done, Judge.
  11. M

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

I agree. Entertainment for sure though. Like most subjective reviews whether print or video.
  12. M

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Enjoyable (to some), subjective nonsense? I quite like Steve though. He’s passionate and engaging.
Top Bottom