Recent content by Old Grey Punk

1. Old Grey Punk

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

LPs give a sense of permanence in an increasingly impermanent and intangible digital world. I'll admit I get a feeling of satisfaction, and even calm, from just sitting looking at my 1500 LPs all stacked neatly on their shelves. And since I've been buying those LPs since the late '70s, there's...
  2. Old Grey Punk

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

At it's basic level you may be right, but I think what you're not taking into account is this, and I'll use my own experience as an example: I've been listening to vinyl since the late 1970s, and for decades vinyl playback consisted of chucking records onto any old crappy turntable through cheap...
  3. Old Grey Punk

Extreme Snake Oil

This one made me spit out my morning coffee laughing: https://www.thecableco.com/rci-3h-cable-insulator-single.html Not hugely expensive I know, but this caught my eye: "inside the insulator is a blend of natural ores which absorb electromagnetic waves and radiated noise from the cable...
  4. Old Grey Punk

What electronic audio products you want tested most

This (relatively) low cost phono stage seems interesting, employing some what appear to be clever approaches to phono stage design, especially at this price point: https://michaelfidler.com/spartan/5/
  5. Old Grey Punk

Stanford University audio reference selection vinyl player

I'm not sure I understand the debate here. Stanford University wanted to invest in the most effective mechanism to digitise records which contain valuable and / or historic recordings, and it turns out the best method for doing this is to use (what is in their opinion) the most precise high...
  6. Old Grey Punk

Which cartridge do you prefer?

What differences there are are tiny, both tracks are excellent. Like the reality of most gear comparisons as soon as you cross the 'everything works well together' line (usually a couple of hundred pounds/bucks/euros worth on each component). As I've said before a few times, a (relatively)...
  7. Old Grey Punk

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Not sure about nice, but here's my 'steampunk' S.A.M. Renegade:
  8. Old Grey Punk

Phono pre-amp - best separation /stereo imaging, but on a budget

Ah right, thanks, so it's more likely to be the difference between the Dynavector DV20X2 (into the Sutherland) compared to the AT750SH (into the Project) that I'm hearing rather than any significant differences in the phono stages themselves? Re. high frequencies, I'm not sure I can really rely...
  9. Old Grey Punk

Phono pre-amp - best separation /stereo imaging, but on a budget

I'm (possibly) after a phono pre-amp change / upgrade for my 2nd system. Currently I have a Project Phono Box SEII, and compared to the phono pre on my main system (a Sutherland PH3D) the separation and stereo imaging is noticeably inferior, which for whatever reason is a particular element of...
  10. Old Grey Punk

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Of course, not including VAT (@20%) and UPS 'handling charges' to the UK.............. So probably would end up cheaper paying the UK dealer price.........
  11. Old Grey Punk

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

Ah yes, but, without wanting to over-simplify, much science is empirically provable independent of personal interpretation, whereas, unfortunately, when it comes to listening to music, it can only ultimately be entirely personal and subjective. And even ignoring that 'central truth', there are...
  12. Old Grey Punk

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Ortofon OM30 stylus 30% off at Thomann - https://www.thomann.de/gb/ortofon_stylus_30.htm
  13. Old Grey Punk

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

I don't even understand what this thread is about anymore......... Debate for debate's sake?
  14. Old Grey Punk

Mofi StudioPhono phono preamp homebrew measurements

Smashing, thank you for explaining in laymans terms, much appreciated, on behalf of all us laymen!
  15. Old Grey Punk

Mofi StudioPhono phono preamp homebrew measurements

So what do all those measurements add up to in terms of how the Studiophono sounds?
Top Bottom