Recent content by OldManMatt

1. OldManMatt

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

If the Eversolo is something that interests you I think it's worth an audition. From glancing at its reported specs it should have no issues powering the mono blocks. With the 3 gain levels on the Nilai I don't think any new products would have any issues pushing the Nilai's and mainstream...
  2. OldManMatt

I get what you are saying by "optimal". When I hook-up straight from Dac with XLR to low gain Nilai I'm giving the amp the best connection I can. Most volts & lowest noise floor. Unless there is a mismatch somewhere I doubt you will notice a difference as far as sound & the different gains on...
  3. OldManMatt

I've used a RME dac straight to the Nilai as well. The ADI-2 FS. It is a good pairing in my opinion. The PEQ tabs are a wonderful perk of the RME's..& of course the volume control. I have a minidsp DRC-22D but prefer the RME over Dirac...if I don't need more than the 5 (7) peq tabs of the RME...
  4. OldManMatt

Bummer to hear about your experience. I understand wanting to send it back..it shouldn't be so complicated to slide the top back on. If you give it another go try loosening the feet as well. I'm just going off memory though. When I get home & look at it I'm sure I'll recall what I did to slide...
  5. OldManMatt

From my experience building the Nilai this is my tip to others with big muscles. Mine was the Stereo version. When putting it together only be tight when mounting the modules, wiring, jacks. Semi-tight with the enclosure screws. Tighten it all up when complete. The top cover won't slide in if...
  6. OldManMatt

You probably need to loosen some screws. When I finished building mine I tried to slide the top on. Not even close . I had to loosen the front plate & sides. You said like I did. I found putting it together annoying.
  7. OldManMatt

I think at this time any opinions between the 2 are going to be subjective..that's if you can even find anyone with user experience of both amps. I was curious about the 2 amplifiers as well and ultimately picked the Nilai DIY Stereo. The power & price had me leaning towards the NCx but I choose...
  8. OldManMatt

Revel F206 Tower Speaker Review

Pretty good speaker for the price
  9. OldManMatt

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

I've never seen anything like this thread. I'm kinda shocked by Tekton management. The speakers were evaluated under the same testing & guidelines that are the industry standard. As far as the results..it is what it is. Is there some contract that the buyer signs after purchase stating that they...
  10. OldManMatt

The Florida International Audio Expo 2024

I went last year and had a good time..I felt it was worth the 2 hour round trip and plan to go again this weekend. Very laid back atmosphere and earlier in the day the crowds weren't that bad..easy to get a front row seat somewhere as there are 12 stories/levels full of listening rooms. I don't...
  11. OldManMatt

Interesting new Cambridge Audio streamers MXN10 and AXN10

I haven't used mine in awhile as I've been using a different streamer. At first I just linked my Quboz account to the Stream Magic app so I could access it from there. But the Cambridge also has Chromecast built in so I usually just opened my Quboz app, link it to the MXN and played my music. I...
  12. OldManMatt

Getting DRIAC Live Minidsp ?

This is just for bass management...no dsp for main speakers.
  13. OldManMatt

Getting DRIAC Live Minidsp ?

You have a single rca subwoofer pre-out on the back of your 40n correct? You could try the basic Minidsp 2x4 or 2x4HD. Subwoofer pre-out<Minidsp 2x4<Powered Subwoofer You would still need a Umik-1 for measurements. Play your mains speakers off the 40n, whatever frequency the mains speakers...
  14. OldManMatt

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

I have 2 set ups and a spare room filled with various gear i'm not using...solid state & tube gear, minidsp & dirac boxes, streamers, albums & CD's, and speakers. 95% of the time I'm listening to music in 2.1ch...thru either TV (Fire stick) or a Primare Prisma streaming transport, into a RME...
Top Bottom