Recent content by Robin L

1. Robin L

How About Creating a Modern Cassette Player?

I was a recording engineer for about a decade in the 1990s, exclusively recording classical repertoire. It wasn't until very recently that I was satisfied with the sound of my playback gear, which now is only from digital sources. There's a clarity and focus I'm experiencing that I wasn't...
  2. Robin L

I was charge of the Classical cassette section of Tower records, Berkeley, in the mid-eighties. Very few classical cassettes were up to the standards of LPs at the time, and the quality of LPs in the mid-eighties was nothing to write home about. There were only a few runs of commercial cassettes...
  3. Robin L

That's why I still collect CDs.
  4. Robin L

Like I said, I don't stream. The primary reason I don't stream is because of that problem with dropouts. Don't know about that. Once 78s were no longer a "thing", support from the record companies evaporated. Cassettes were popular for a brief spell before CDs appeared, then they were not. As...
  5. Robin L

Streaming might not make sense to you, it doesn't work for me, but just about everyone I know uses streaming. My wife has an old IPod in the car with MP3 files that I occasionally add files to, but she mostly she streams video at home. If I want to hear music at home, I've got a pile of CDs that...
  6. Robin L

In the age of streaming, recording makes little sense unless one is recording performances of one's group or of a group for someone else. Otherwise, streaming makes more sense.
  7. Robin L

First dac. Help me to choose.

I like my Topping E30. It's been upgraded to E30 II. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e30-ii-dac-review.36028/ It sells for $149, has three inputs - USB, coax and optical Toslink. It measures better than anyone can hear. My Topping E30 has an easy-to-use...
  8. Robin L

Tascam made some excellent workhorse cassette decks, radio stations liked them. Yamaha, or so I was told, had the transports of Nak decks and their own electronics. This was good, as a Dolby B cassette recorded on a Nak would not play back correctly on any other brand of deck.
  9. Robin L

Probably more expensive, considering both inflation and smaller runs of the product. What's really needed is something simple, inexpensive and designed for transfer to digital media. A playback only device would make sense - design something to transfer tapes before they fall apart. Dolby B...
  10. Robin L

Please help me choose a turntable...

Like I already said, most perfect vs. most perfect.
  11. Robin L

Unpopular Opinions in Music

This is one way Bing Crosby turns out to be a very important innovator in musical history. He was the first performer to utilize the microphone in live performance. This resulted in a sound that emphasized his lower registers, much as Frank Sinatra's performances and recordings gave his voice...
  12. Robin L

Then it probably was a language issue. You play some old music?
  13. Robin L

Because they have an appreciative audience? Because they love the music?
  14. Robin L

If you don't regularly listen to Classical music then you probably really don't have a point of view. Lots of Classical music lacks lyrics but has emotion. And a lot of Classical music is far from "easy".
  15. Robin L

Please help me choose a turntable...

The limiting factor is the discs themselves. The only functional solution to that problem was the CD and its various digital offspring. No off-center wow. No peak-warp wow. No motor/belt/idler wheel induced flutter. No surface noise. No record wear. No inner groove distortion. All things being...
Top Bottom