Recent content by SeanTek

1. S

3.5mm to RCA cables for dac/amp interconnect

I got back around to working on getting 7.1 audio out from my computer again, and set up a Creative Sound Blaster X3 USB DAC + Emotiva BasX A7 + KEF e305 / e301 setup. The results are good. However, I am out of high quality 3.5mm to RCA interconnect cables so I wanted to ask for advice. The...
  2. S

Powered 2.0/2.1 consumer ultra near-field PC speakers with no audible idle hiss 2024

I got the iLoud MTM and gave them a listen. I regret to say that for my ears, there is audible hiss. The hiss is not bad at all: audible at 8", somewhat audible at 12", and barely audible at 16". However, I can still hear it at 16" and I am only listening to one speaker connected. Two speakers...
  3. S

First "Audiophile" DAC/Amp for LS50 Meta

I think the SHD Power has too many features for me (compared to SHD Studio). The only SMSL that probably makes sense is the SMSL VMV A2 ($999); ignore my other two suggestions. Some other ones to look at (I now know that I guess I am asking for an "integrated amplifier"): Arcam SA30 Arcam...
  4. S

Let me also ask, any thoughts on the SMSL A2 ($999), A6 ($449), or A8 ($599) integrated amplifiers? They have USB (2.0) inputs, no HDMI, so they fall in the computer desktop application category rather than family room/home theater category. (Note that the KEF LS50 Wireless II supports HDMI...
  5. S

I made a little spreadsheet of the suggestions in this thread, plus added the NAD C 389 / C 399 which are recommended elsewhere: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RaFuUvMTTpw4HQImje3F_Pj9_NAgzmpL4rl0bBs8L2w/edit?usp=sharing For TV/Home Theater "Lite" applications, it seems that only the...
  6. S

I picked up a pair of LS50 Metas about two weeks ago since they were on sale, and I could put the budgetary savings to better gear than if I got LS50 Wireless II speakers (which were also on sale at the time). Can I get short and sweet recommendations for DAC/Amps to pair with the LS50 Metas? No...
  7. S

Powered 2.0/2.1 consumer ultra near-field PC speakers with no audible idle hiss 2024

To assist with the analysis, I created a spreadsheet of Speaker Sizes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H8sdKgjRBLrnUGf55rWEESM7N1HL01bn_uCdaCLvuuI/edit?usp=sharing The purpose of this spreadsheet is to get a rough sense of the size and price of desktop speaker monitors, where desktop...
  8. S

Thanks! In a quiet room, at what distance do you hear the hiss from these speakers when powered and on at modest volume, and from what drivers? (Probably only the tweeter but want to cover all bases lol.) To clarify, the ~$1000 budget range includes the 2 active speakers and the DAC (or passive...
  9. S

Kali IN-5 are too big. As I said the Kali LP-6v2 is an excellent speaker but it is too large for this application; the Kali IN-5 would be too much. Per above, MOTU M2 is in the running. It's an audiophile forum; people will beg to differ about the maximum sample rate and bit depth being...
  10. S

It helped It helped, but the list is too long. :) Short recommendations are best. Also that list does not have speaker dimensions and does not have price points, so it is hard to narrow it down that way. I just saw that Yamaha released the HS3 and HS4 speakers, which might be worth a look...
  11. S

Last year I settled on Kali LP-6v2 speakers with the Topping D10 Balanced for my son's desktop PC. They work fine. This year, I am trying to upgrade my daughter's PC environment. What powered 2.0/2.1 consumer ultra near-field PC speakers can you recommend, with no audible idle hiss, in 2024...
  12. S

Powered 2.1 consumer Desktop PC speakers with no audible idle hiss 2023

If it helps, attached is a picture of the Kali LP-6v2 speakers at the listening position.
  13. S

Powered 2.1 consumer Desktop PC speakers with no audible idle hiss 2023

Hi all I wanted to follow up on this thread, nine months later. I ended up going with Topping D10 Balanced paired with Kali LP-6v2 back in March 2023. The Topping D10 Balanced does not have a subwoofer out, but the Kali LP-6v2 puts out enough bass by itself that we decided against adding a...
  14. S

Integrated 2.1 DAC+Amplifier for PC desktop usage, with no hiss

I ended up going with Topping D10 Balanced paired with Kali LP-6v2 back in March 2023. The Topping D10 Balanced does not have a subwoofer out, but the Kali LP-6v2 puts out enough bass by itself that we decided against adding a subwoofer. I have been happy with the results so far.
Top Bottom