Recent content by SSS

1. S

Line preamps using battery power supply _ any experience ?

Thank you. To view at noise the soundcard of a PC may be good enough in the first place. Using one of the FFT PC programs which are some for free and others for little money. An oscilloscope with good sensititvity will also help and will show noise beyond the 20 kHz. Myself I use the E-MU...
  2. S

Depends on the amplifier circuit and specifically on the op-amp used. There exist ones which need a + - dual supply. And there are also ones built for single rail supply. Output cap, thats a philosophical thing. But needed when single rail supply.
  3. S

Many years ago I built for a friend a Hiraga MC pre amp with self set turret boards. External power supply with line filter and + an - regulators. On the pre amp board additoinally caps for further noise reduction. Result was no hum and no additional noise from the power chain. Therefore my...
  4. S

E1DA Cosmos ADCiso Review

Input impedance depends on the specific sound-card used in the PC. Maybe the value of the line input is stated in the specs. For a mic pre output the input impedance should be 10k ohm or more.
  5. S

Geithain RL 901K vs Neumann KH420

The Geithain speaker (don't know the model type but was cardioid bass response) I listened to them in a relatively big recording studio monitor/mixing room and in a hifi hi-end studio shop with roomsize of a small living room. Both times I was impressed by the very natural sound. Unfortunately I...
  6. S

E1DA Cosmos ADCiso Review

Tried to buy one. Not available. Contacting the developer page eMail address gave no reply. What I saw is that the input impedance is pretty low for some measurements like preamps and specific tube preamps.
  7. S

Reliability Science in Audio Equipment

Well done presentation on qualitiy. Decades ago working for hp there were components and hardware quality control standards which maintained the hp renowned long life instruments usage without problems. But times had changed and there is no need to build equipment which will last for 50 years...
  8. S

The 67-year-old hearing test results! You need hearing aids.

Got 76 years now. Still hearing is not bad, just deteriorated above 12 kHz depending on SPL more or less. Can hear and follow conversations and TV at slightly elevated volume. During my life I always protected my ears when working with lawn mowers and chain saw and other loud tools. I think this...
  9. S

How Much Subwoofer Is Enough?

Zero if the stereo speakers are good enough.
  10. S

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Followed partly the discussion. For me it is not really worthy since it is a mediocre old style loudspeaker with flaws and perhaps some goodies like any speaker in the world. Too much attention to this "speaker designer". Forget the speaker and the guy.
  11. S

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Regarding room measurements I have the technical knowledge and equipment but hate the work needed because it will not be clear that I can get real improvement. So I skip this.
  12. S

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Although I use very good equipment from the 1980ies the musical sound still very good. Since due to my age the hearing of beyond 12 kHz is dimmed no room EQ necessary. With big d'Appelito loudspeakers the bass is very natural. Power amp Crown with 2x 150 Watt is sufficient. Listen stored wav and...
  13. S

Spending big bucks on HiFi Audio

I am not convinced whether society does not accept hifi gear. It is just an assumption. Myself I invested in used hifi equipment where I got fair value at a reasonable price. New euipment so called hi-end is totally overpriced for what you get in sound quality. Well, it is a hobby and if...
  14. S

McIntosh Transformer causing noise in speakers while disconnected.

Interesting evaluation and charts. Hope that classG33 solved the noise issue by putting the McIntosh in a fair distance to the loudspeakers. It is known that the magnetic field from the mains transformer can be picked up by nearby speaker chassis. I had this at an Fender Combo guitar amplifier...
  15. S

Energy Transfer Question - Crossover and Amp - Vertical Biamping

The binding posts are such that one pair feeds the low-frequency section (basically the woofer). The other pair (both pairs NOT connected) feeds middle and treble chassis. There the internal crossover divides between mid and treble. You are right, even when an amplfier provides the full range...
Top Bottom