Recent content by thanrl

1. T

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

That bass with freshly cleaned ear canals >>>
  2. T

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

Sorry for quoting an old post, but this is really funny because it goes both ways. We actually don't know who looks more ridiculous, the coat-hanger folks to the cable-believers, or the cable-lifter folks to the cable-non-believers.
  3. T

TE Zero imaging (maybe soundstage as well) vs Hexa -- am I crazy?

One IEM has a better imaging than the other. I hear the Zero having better imaging too. What’s crazy about that?
  4. T

Chord Hugo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

I was today years old when I learned that all these years I've been taking audio advice from folks who couldn't hear a difference between the Hugo 2 filters.
  5. T

Chord Hugo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Wait there are folks here that actually can't hear a difference between the Hugo 2 filters?? Oh my. My wallet is so jealous of yours.
  6. T

Proximity effect and the psychoacoustically wrong target FR curves

I think there are a few issues, some of which we agree upon, some we don't: 1. Changing the distance of the sound source from the outer ear canal to the inner ear canal, when the ear canal is sealed (think IEM), is there a proximity effect? I think we agree that there is, and you gave an...
  7. T

If changing the volume *by changing the distance to the sound source* (e.g. by 1mm) alters the LF response at the ears, how is that practically different from a proximity effect? Are you trying to explain the cause of the proximity effect at the ears by the baffle step?
  8. T

Well that's surprising. Try tapping closer to your concha? I can hear more bass tapping near the concha than from an inch away, if I "normalize" the difference in volume in my mind. I think the consequence may be bigger than you think. Try listening to the same IEM (preferably bullet-shaped...
  9. T

The DF target (ISO 11904-2) is a deduced target, obtained by dummy heads and microphones. The Harman target is an induced target, obtained by humans and equalizers. Both claim to recreate speakers in an echoic chamber. There is a discrepancy between the deductive and the inductive science. I...
  10. T

I'm so confused. The problem I envision is to explain the discrepancy between the DF target and the preference targets. If there is a discrepancy, then the problem is real. Are you trying to say that you (or statistically many people) enjoy the DF target?
  11. T

Thanks for the perspective. Are you postulating that tapping my fingers 1 inch away sounds more bassy than 2 inches away is due to the closing in of the fingers providing a "seal" instead of due to a proximity effect? Regarding omnidirectional mics: are there researches regarding the change in...
  12. T

I think we are in agreement with the premise, that room acoustics is a major barrier to a successful simulation of speaker-in-a-room through ear-side transducers. (I'm also aware that near-field monitoring requires less bass; not sure how it adds to the discussion) What I'm trying to do is to...
  13. T

I was able to parse what you are trying to say. Everything you are saying is true, but I am not concerned about bass standing wave or room treatments. My claim is that our ears are very good at picking up the distance cues. When we close our eyes, we most likely can tell distances apart. They...
  14. T

No worries! I look forward to learning more about acoustic loading.
Top Bottom