Recent content by Tom Schneider

1. T

A Sonos One (Gen 2) sounds deeper, better and more punchy than my KEF R11

We have two Sonos Ones outside on the patio playing in stereo mode. They are close to the back wall so bass is decent and with two they certainly play loud enough when we have guests over to swim in the pool. We also have an Era 300 in our family room since we have a no TV policy and only listen...
  2. T

What's your normal listening distance and db level at that distance at home?

I'm 8.5ft with a very open room and typically stick to 70-85db. There are nights with friends where we push 95db but that is rare. I tend to listen early in the morning on weekends when my wife is still asleep downstairs so stay around 70db. The good thing is my OB speakers sound good at lower...
  3. T

What streaming service do you use?

When streaming for my dedicated system I use Tidal primarily due to the interface and Tidal Connect. My wife uses Pandora and Amazon simply because she can use Alexa through her Sonos Era 300. She is more into having back-ground music.
  4. T

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

When I was running my LS50 Metas full range I did notice distortion but adding a KC62 crossed over at 90hz it ended up much cleaner. Having a high power amp also helped to make the sound more relaxed without distortion.
  5. T

LS50 vs LS50 Meta Comparison

Side note is I'm currently listening to my LS50 Metas in a semi-nearfield configuration. Seems strange to see them in the middle of the room but it does help to cancel out my room influence. It also opened up the bass without even having to move my sub. My listening room is a loft which has an...
  6. T

My LS50 Meta's and KC62 sub are still my mainstays in my listening room. I have been playing with open baffle single driver speakers lately. Once the baffles are made I'll do a comparison.
  7. T

Say "Hello!" to boXem | audio Arthur series, Hypex and Purifi based power amplifiers

Still loving my boxem amp. I'm building a 15" single driver set of speakers so the boxem will likely be overkill but the are so good that I'm not thinking about moving to tubes.
  8. T

Which speakers gave you the *wow* factor?

For me it was hearing the NHT 3.3s setup in a good dealer room. I ended up buying the smaller version but I was really impressed.
  9. T

I too am looking into acoustic treatments since I can walk around my room and bass changes dramatically so that is my first area of focus. Right now my LS50 Meta placement is solid as they not only disappear but have a soundstage that is both tall and deep which still surprises me for such a...
  10. T

I played around with spacing and toe-in and ended up in the same position in my room. Pretty much facing forward but with a few degrees of toe-in which seems to work well with my room. I'm still dealing with bass nodes but that's a different issue.
  11. T

Thanks for the tip as I have my Metas pointed straight forward. I'm going to try some toe in this weekend. I have found that they do enjoy some space in my room. I have ~3ft from the back wall and sides which really does make a rather large soundstage difference. Essentially I can't even...
  12. T

BOXEM Audio | Arthur 4215/E2 Purifi Amplifier | Owners' Thread

Congrats! I'm sure you will love it. I'm really enjoying mine driving a pair of KEF LS50 Metas. Great sound and never runs out of power despite the KEF impedance curve and efficiency.
  13. T

I played with my LS50 Metas this weekend and found that 36" from the back wall was working well. Now my problem is bass. I have some brutal bass nodes going on. I have a KC62 sub and even moving it +- 3" is resulting is a huge difference. Time for some room treatment. #christmaslistformywife
  14. T

KEF LS60 unboxing!

Makes me rethink my LS50 Meta/KC62 sub setup :) Thanks for the great information and it will be interesting to see more LS60 setups.
  15. T

I have KEF LS50 Metas with a KEF KC62 sub that is crossed over in LFE mode at 90Hz. This combo seems to work well in my room and takes the low frequency struggle of the LS50s out of the equation in my room. I'm currently working on room correction now which will trigger some speaker and sub...
Top Bottom