• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LA Audio Show Cancelled (for good)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I enjoyed last year's show. Shame all the family in-fighting led to its demise.

----

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

An Open Letter to the Industry. LAAS Cancelled.

Dear Industry Friends,

It is with sadness and regrets that I announce the cancellation of the 2018 LA Audio Show — Orange County. Refunds will start to be issued immediately to those exhibitors who have already paid deposits and/or full remittances for space and other services. These refunds will be in the form of checks and will arrive by USPS Mail to the address provided on contracts. Attendee tickets will be refunded through the system they were purchased.

Once more, I remind you that as Robert Evans stated, "There are 3 sides to every story: Your side, my side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each differently," but he also stated that "any man who thinks he knows the mind of a woman is a man who knows nothing," so please allow me to touch briefly on what has changed since my last note.

There have been a series of events — much like "Murphy's Law" or even "God's Plan" both on the professional and personal level — that has overtaken my ability to perform at the level I expect of myself and the industry deserves. I put in the maximum efforts I could to absorb the chaos and protect the community, but I have run out of fuel in every sense of the word. My shoulders can no longer bear this weight.

It has been an honor and privilege to carry on the legacy of my mentor, Richard Beers. I have sought to do right by him by keeping his traditions and adding innovations I believed to be vital to the future of our industry. It was always my hope that Richard's divided inheritance would be unified again in the end, and for me, it has been evident that this year presented multiple opportunities to end the separation and I could no longer ignore the dangerous reality of our circumstances. It is my sincere belief that while the lessons and blessings earned were worth everything and part of His plan, I must also admit this LAAS should never have been created, to begin with. We should have collectively worked harder to stay unified in our efforts, and I hope that is how you are able to collectively move forward at this time.

With that said, I urge all those who can, to make arrangements to support The Home Entertainment Show, June 1-3, 2018 at the Marriott Irvine Spectrum Hotel. I am truly apologetic for any inconveniences this may cause the industry.

At the same time, I still fervently believe in the power of music to make lives better and I do believe that high-fidelity reproduction has merit for making that experience even better. I still believe the future success of high-fidelity audio lies in a mainstream approach that connects all generations and budgets which is why we intended on following a new direction.

I also believe that the recent Pulitzer Prize awarded to Kendrick Lamar is recognition of this universality. Hip-Hop has been around for decades, but somehow this Award "legitimizes" it and allows it to take its place as an authentic musical style rather than an aberrant offshoot of music. As Dana Canedy, the administrator of the prizes said, "The time was right... It shines a light on hip-hop in a completely different way. This is a big moment for hip-hop music..." It is evident, to me and select others, that our world is moving in a new direction and it is my sincere hope that those who continue to run audio shows in the future will understand and acknowledge what I believe to be truths and continue to expand on what we had begun.

As for me, since I am left with nothing but myself and a roof over my head by a very loving and generous Father, I will be writing a blog sharing my story of faith. I do not know what is next but I do know that I have much healing to do — mental, physical, emotional — and need to recharge my batteries so that I may apply my energy, creativity, and passion in a way that serves God and fulfills my life purpose to inspire Humanity towards peace and unconditional love.

I am truly grateful for all of you, for all the lessons and blessings, and I look forward to perhaps meeting and working with you again in a different capacity. I wish much success to T.H.E. Show Newport and its patrons and truly hope that Richard's legacy will be honored for years to come.

It has been an honor serving you. "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13 (NIV)

Sincerely,
Marine de Rogez-Presson

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Allright, so, what's the backstory?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Still pending ...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
"I can assure everyone reading this that God doesn't give a shit about high performance audio and I personally don't give one about Presson's self-indulgent pain. She let down everyone with her self-absorbed behavior instead of reaching out and asking for help from those who might have been able to get the job done.

Meanwhile, if you think she has retreated and is simply "licking her (self inflicted) wounds", you'd be wrong. While damaging the audio industry and the reputations of members of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society, she's been very busy finding Jesus as part of her "healing process".

You'll excuse me for having zero sympathy. Or maybe you won't. At this point I could care less. The bottom line is, the grown young woman we thought was running the show turned out to be a little girl."
_____

Going through a painful divorce is tough on God's and Jesus reputation.
Asking for help and assistance in times of downs is not a given.

If the society and its members don't have a backup plan don't blame the messenger, blame the society, all the members of the society who are all equally responsible. That's what humans do; working together helping each other.

It's a no show ...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The bottom line is, the grown young woman we thought was running the show turned out to be a little girl."
That line from Fremer is well below the belt and sexist to boot. Would he have said this if a man was doing this job instead?

Sounds like he is upset because he was going to show off some $1M room. I get that. But unless he has better abilities to run an audio show, he better not take such a rude position.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Seriously, if those words are in fact from M Fremer's mouth, the man does not deserve a platform in which to spew his foul tirade of bile. I would fire such a person on the spot.

And the saying is "couldn't care less"- how hard is it?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Michael could be harsh @ times with words, but we all know that since the last forty years. He is not alone. And his marriage might be on solid grounds.

Don't judge anyone as you might be next to be judged; goes for Mickey.

I know nothing, only the news I've been reading about it.
They need a backup plan, as I said previously. Don't count on any single individual, they're all in it together. It is a society, isn't it.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That line from Fremer is well below the belt and sexist to boot. Would he have said this if a man was doing this job instead?

Sounds like he is upset because he was going to show off some $1M room. I get that. But unless he has better abilities to run an audio show, he better not take such a rude position.

I would expect nothing less from that asshole.

Titan01

What a mess. I had a feeling something like this was going to happen based on the strange and cryptic email from a few weeks ago.

If the society and its members don't have a backup plan don't blame the messenger, blame the society, all the members of the society who are all equally responsible. That's what humans do; working together helping each other.

I think is a salient point. The LAOCAS is ultimately responsible. Bob Levi should have spent less time typing exclamation points in his society emails and more time overseeing something that they are sponsoring. She definitely shoulders some blame but it never should have gotten this far in the first place.

We'll see if T.H.E. Show actually happens this year as it seems to be following the same path as last years. I'm sure quite a few dealers/manufactures will be skipping it. Guess i'll finally take a trip to RMAF this year.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Titan01

It is more of a last minute event by two of the largest dealers in the area that were setup when the LA Audio Show was cancelled.

Top Bottom