• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The shoulder of Orion.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wikipedia describes the famous scene near the end of the film "Blade Runner" as:

...the dying replicant Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) delivers the speech to Rick Deckard, (Harrison Ford) moments after Batty saved his life despite Deckard being sent to terminate him. The scene occurs during a heavy downpour of rain, moments before Batty's own death. Reflecting on his experiences and imminent mortality he says (with dramatic pauses between each statement):
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

And this morning I read about the search for the source of a recently observed neutrino - one of the most elusive particles in the universe.
Optical detectors at the IceCube Neutrino Observatory in Antarctica picked up evidence of a high-energy neutrino in September 2017, prompting the project’s computers to begin calculating where in the universe the particle may have come from.

Estimates showed that the neutrino was flung toward Earth off the shoulder of [the constellation] Orion, and when Kopper returned to work the next morning, he saw that astronomers at the Fermi Large Area Telescope had indeed identified a source of gamma radiation in that part of the sky. Soon after, astronomers at the Major Atmospheric Gamma Imaging Cherenkov (MAGIC) Telescope confirmed a bright emission of light in that part of space at the time in question. And so, the hunt for the neutrino’s source began

Interesting coincidence...

Top Bottom