• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiFi Music

Cool. I guess I'll stick with my current workflow for a while: going to thrift stores and used music stores and buying CDs, then ripping them to lossless files. Everyone seems to be wanting to get rid of their CDs. One the the biggest mistakes I ever did was buy MP3 from iTunes, honestly. Luckily I've been able to find many titles that I purchased on CD second-hand, which I have then ripped to ALAC files. I don't play back any of my music in Apple Music/iTunes. On macOS, I use Swinsian for playing back tracks and I currently don't have an option on iOS, although I just purchased a NX4 DSD, so would love a way to get my lossless files on my iPhone without having to go through iTunes/music.

ETA -- found a easy way. Foobar2000 iOS app. Really nice and clean app. Free. Drag-and-drop files to the app via iTunes file sharing. Non iTunes-managed music library on my phone that mirrors my desktop setup. Still waiting on my lightning to mini-usb cable to complete my mobile listening rig: iPhone to NX4 DSD to Earsonics Velvet IEMS.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ripped all of my CDs to FLAC and just use that library. All the CDs are stored in the loft in case I ever need them. I don't use streaming services for music (I do use similar services for TV and movies though) as I find the music I want to listen to is already on my drive. If I buy music then I still prefer to buy the CD and immediately rip it, I guess I'm just a traditionalist at heart.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I ripped all of my CDs to FLAC and just use that library. All the CDs are stored in the loft in case I ever need them. I don't use streaming services for music (I do use similar services for TV and movies though) as I find the music I want to listen to is already on my drive. If I buy music then I still prefer to buy the CD and immediately rip it, I guess I'm just a traditionalist at heart.
I do the same, sad the resale value of CD's has dropped thru the floor. Lucky back when I ripped my entire collection values were still up. I got a good buck for my library when I sold it to a CD resale store, specially cause I had so many of the very valuable titles like a lot of the MOFI catalog, etc..
I think your missing out a lot by not having a streaming source. For $100 a year (Cheapskate approved) Spotify will deliver to you just about any title you'd ever want to hear. The 320k stream is close to inaudibly different from redbook. If you then hear something you really want to have in a better quality, buy a used CD off ebay.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I do the same, sad the resale value of CD's has dropped thru the floor. Lucky back when I ripped my entire collection values were still up. I got a good buck for my library when I sold it to a CD resale store, specially cause I had so many of the very valuable titles like a lot of the MOFI catalog, etc..
I think your missing out a lot by not having a streaming source. For $100 a year (Cheapskate approved) Spotify will deliver to you just about any title you'd ever want to hear. The 320k stream is close to inaudibly different from redbook. If you then hear something you really want to have in a better quality, buy a used CD off ebay.

The price of CDs on Ebay have risen substantially world-wide(I have been buying over time), and in second-hand music stores here in Australia. I only find dross in charity stores as favoured dealers get first bite.
shrug.gif

Enter < $5 into the Ebay search menu and see what is offered.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The price of CDs on Ebay have risen substantially world-wide(I have been buying over time), and in second-hand music stores here in Australia. I only find dross in charity stores as favoured dealers get first bite. View attachment 15059

Enter < $5 into the Ebay search menu and see what is offered.
Humm,
Enter Elton John >CD> Price+Shipping> lowest price.
Tons available for 2.99

Pick another artist,
what am I missing?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Humm,
Enter Elton John >CD> Price+Shipping> lowest price.
Tons available for 2.99

Pick another artist,
what am I missing?

Elton John. That figures. High price. You probably find Abba and lots of momentary wonders at that price. Check the Ebay 'Sold' tab to get a better picture.

Try Rolling Stones, Zappa, Neil Young, Hendrix, Beatles, Bowie, Jazz artists, R&B, Blues, Soul, etc. Remember, Elton is Pop(very good) but Pop is generally disposable as a relic of its time.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
First try,
The Temptations : Motown Legends: CLOUD NINE. I WISH IT WOULD RAIN CD (1999)
$3.99

Second try
Bobby "Blue" Bland : Eves Bayou: The Collection CD
$3.19

And now for a reallly tuff one
Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here
$5.03

Strike three, your out

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
and for privates itch!
I've read it works best for genital lice in association with an additional step.
First you shave one side of the privates area. Next spray the other side with the WD40.
Then light that side on fire and stab them with a ice pick as the come running out.
Let me know how that works for ya. o_O

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys are doing it wrong. Wasn't ArmorAll suggested. Oh, those deteriorated the plastic substrate.

I do recall using Meguiars plastic polish for motorcycle polycarbonate windscreens to good effect on scratched discs. I've also used jeweler's rouge once. Better than all of them is to use EAC to obtain a bit correct copy even from heavily scratched discs for burning a new copy.

Someone once gave me 3 discs they wanted recovered. Looked as if you had taped them to your shoe and walked on gravel a few miles. I said, "I doubt this will work, but I'll give it a try and see about recovering the music." Well using an earlier 686 PC with Windows XP it took 11 hrs for EAC to read, re-read, and re-read until it recovered the music. Two tracks on one disc had a momentary dropout that wasn't fully recovered. But it would be like an LP pop and keep on playing without any other issues. I was and still am amazed at that. These discs appeared horribly scratched and mangled. A newer PC could probably do it in a few minutes.

As for WD40, while I've used it for a flamethrower, thankfully never for the reasons you guys are discussing. Also makes a great propellant for a potato cannon. I've managed 400+ yard potato launches with frozen Idahos. For audio purposes not so much. For damp distributors (its original purpose) it is a god send.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Also makes a great propellant for a potato cannon. I've managed 400+ yard potato launches with frozen Idahos.
How can you waste food like that? Don't you know there's people starving to death in this world? :eek::p

audiobill

I've read it works best for genital lice in association with an additional step.
First you shave one side of the privates area. Next spray the other side with the WD40.
Then light that side on fire and stab them with a ice pick as the come running out.
Let me know how that works for ya. o_O
It is good that when one has a problem they can find a solution that worked for them.

Top Bottom