Search results

1. G

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

Old dog learns new tricks.
  2. G

Someone explain this bizarre 3-way

Agreed in so far as good drivers are needed, with good power handling due to the slow rolloff. All 3 drivers here are 90dB/W sensitivity so are loudness matched. Having no low pass means all drivers are in parallel beyond their respective cut-in frequency and that presents a crazy low...
  3. G

Do you refer to yourself as an 'audiophile'?

I'm an audiophile & tech nerd. Not particularly bothered by the narrow-minded "meters uber alles" cult that deny that measurements--and the improvement of same--seek to validate what our ears discern. Not the other way around.
  4. G

SO ... HOW do we measure soundstage???

If course I am--and so was everyone else posting that room reflections mess up spatial cues emitting from the speakers.
  5. G

This is 100% contradictory, and posted minutes apart. Or am I missing your point?
  6. G

Why do you think a few members have an 'alcoholic anonymous' vibe towards the audiophile community? It seems a harmless hobby as far as things go?

FTFY Zealots don't see themselves as such, but 'the other side' recognize the signs. One side believes fervently that human ears can resolve differences not yet measurable. The other side has absolute faith in the superiority of their meters. There are folks in both camps that go too far to...
  7. G

My current home that I've lived in 30 years doesn't leave me many options for a decent listening environment but my previous home had a large empty basement where I built a budget Live End-Dead End audio room. It was wonderful. My frustration with not having a decent room contributed to me...
  8. G

Anyways my point was that I don't believe reflected sound in the listening environment helps create the soundstage. It can only confuse it.
  9. G

I work for a company that does a variety of testing, including noise & vibration. We have binaural heads for some of these activities. I once brought home a DAT recorder to play with for the weekend and it had a tape in it that included conversation in a vehicle between the project engineer & a...
  10. G

"Dispersion"..."directivity"..."ratio of direct to reflected sound"... Taking these oft-repeated assumptions a little farther leads me to a simple question. (Surely this has been explored...) Can a stereo system create a soundstage in an anechoic chamber?
  11. G

Need help identifying old interconnects

So pointless. Two religions at war with each other and as per usual there will be no winner.
  12. G

Need help identifying old interconnects

Do you recall if the inner insulation appeared to be extruded onto the wire or slipped over? I recall many audiophile cables back when used Teflon jackets but because Teflon required a very high temperature to extrude, and high temps did bad things to high-purity copper, it was fairly common...
  13. G

Speakers from last century that you love

Two generations of Unity Audio speakers, from before they broke into the 5-digit price tier. The sat/sub set are custom, bought in 1982--along with much of the rest of my system. The towers are the "Cerous 6" model from some time near the turn of the millennia, found at a pawn shop a few weeks...
  14. G

Speakers from last century that you love

I still have M7s scattered all over. Quite good for the low price--especially paired with good subs. They're on my workbench, my cottage 5.1 HT and until a couple years ago were in my living room 5.1 setup until my brother gave me his unwanted Kef "egg" 5.1 system.
  15. G

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

Mid-fi marketing success triggers some folks I guess. Why isn't Polk on the list?
  16. G

How do I interpret THIS odd impedance plot?

Beginner question--please be kind. I just bought a DATS V3. I first used it on a crummy 5" car speaker with a whizzer cone and the free air parms looked as expected... including some small resonance peaks in the presence region due to the whizzer whizzing. Next I tried it on the unusual ported...
  17. G

ICP-type mics & REW?

From what I can determine from a quick look it'll cost me more to use the lab-quality mics than to buy a cheap USB mic & sound card. And thanks to the correction data the USB mics come with the accuracy is comparable. I think I'll hit the EASY button on this and just buy the recommended...
  18. G

ICP-type mics & REW?

No. "Array mics"? I see no reason to select that for single-channel speaker & room measurements. More like this: https://www.pcb.com/products?m=377b02 + Matching preamp + ICP amp
  19. G

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Double-blind, levels carefully matched no doubt. Lol
Top Bottom