Search results

1. E

OMA K3 $360K TURNTABLE

Was that image generated by Chat GPT-4 or similar?
  2. E

Extreme Snake Oil

I in general don't like suit-tops (jackets) at all. It's just posturing, trying to look influential or authoritative. Had too many know-nothings wearing them trying to tell me what to do and blowing it badly. For workplace, Dockers pants, a polo shirt and a pullover sweater are as fancy as I...
  3. E

The Courteous Vinyl Playback Discussion

Did Mark Levinson come out with an electronically damped tone arm quite a long time ago, but it never became popular despite its fine performance?
  4. E

Acoustic properties of glass

That's included in "tested in an identical way".
  5. E

Will cable impedance affect the sound of headphones?

If you can fit a whole wavelength of a signal into a length of cable such that it could bounce back & forth between its ends, then characteristic impedance matters. In that setting, it's possible for the voltage at both ends to be different for very tiny time intervals if the wave bounces back &...
  6. E

Extreme Snake Oil

Maybe they could come out with one shaped like a cornucopia.
  7. E

Thinner glass sheets could well flex a bit when impacted with sound waves, altering them ever so slightly.
  8. E

Of course it would; I don't recommend using it for that.
  9. E

The Courteous Vinyl Playback Discussion

Also, any damping in the system could reduce the amplitude of the resonant movements or at least make it fade more quickly after a stimulus for it passes.
  10. E

I'll bet that if the glass were as thick as a brick, it would reflect everything just as well as a brick does. To compare materials like that for acoustic properties, you would need test pieces that all have the same physical dimensions and are tested in an identical way. As it is now, you're...
  11. E

Is Every thing Placebo?

I work in electronics and use a network analyzer that can see signals in the 10's of nanovolts range. It comes with a bog-standard EIA power cord. So if that can work so well with such a standard cord, why can't a vastly more limited frequency range audio component work with one?
  12. E

Extreme Snake Oil

I wonder how many of those have been sold.
  13. E

Is Every thing Placebo?

Agree wholeheartedly.
  14. E

Is Every thing Placebo?

I have to laugh at the garden hose-sized power cables, when the wiring up to the wall outlet is ultra mundane Romex. I laugh again even harder when I'm told that it's the last 6 or 8 feet of power cable that matters for sound quality. Hork! About hork: A shout of derision from a grampa bullfrog.
  15. E

Bizarre new audio product alert!...

Every vild and sveeeng-geeeng apartment should have one of deese!
  16. E

Unpopular Opinions in Music

Some of their melodies were catchy, capable of spawning earworms in listeners' ears.
  17. E

Class D amp long term reliability

Class D gets away with using little walnuts for transformers with negligible inductance due to the high operating frequencies involved. At 50/60Hz, you need a good deal of iron in order to get a high enough primary inductance for operating at such low frequencies.
  18. E

Unpopular Opinions in Music

I remember a "Mrs. Miller" who had a couple of songs that actually got air time just because 'her' singing was so awful. A hen with a sore throat would have just soared, compared to that cacophony, bedawk!
Top Bottom