Search results

1. Andersonix

Meier Corda Aria Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/d/san-jose-meier-audio-corda-aria/7733597560.html Here's a Corda Aria for sale in San Jose CA asking $200....
  2. Andersonix

A few Adcom GFA 555 questions

What? Each Adcom 5x5 is beatable by each later (also Pass-designed) Adcom 5x00 just by virtue of being all-mosfet amps.
  3. Andersonix

Any amp repair guys on asr that every one trusts?

What's so special about C21 that you would $plurge on a Panny FC??
  4. Andersonix

Adcom Preamplifier and Amplifier need replacement, any suggestions?

800mA of bias makes a useful 20W in class A. I'm temporarily squeezing that same 800mA from an Adcom 5200 but have to resort to the same trickery as in the 5800: putting a fan on it...
  5. Andersonix

Adcom Preamplifier and Amplifier need replacement, any suggestions?

Where are you at on replacing this? These Nelson Pass mosfet Adcoms have some real potential bottled up behind a wimpy PS and tiny class A bias. How about some help with hopping it up a bit along these lines? https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/ps-hack-for-adcom-gfa-5400.361693/
  6. Andersonix

I ask for advice on how to choose the best combo

Since you apologized for the inconvenience beforehand, I wish to register my dislike for any answer containing SMSL or Topping or other fly-by-night stuff. Same for NAD and Wilson.
  7. Andersonix

Looking for my next set of bookshelf/monitor active speakers

Given a pair of M-Audio AV30 which have burned out zener diodes and melted wires and caps from running too hot, so it turns out this is a thing with M-Audio. If they sounded any good I would convert them to a pair of passive speakers, but they're not so hot in that way...
  8. Andersonix

DIYclassD.com UcD400 stereo (power amp) kit: Electricity consumption & heat measurements

I leave my amps turned off when unattended. Why would I want a device made to amplify every input by 1000 to be active 24/7 and ready to blow my speakers? And it still gets hot (in a tiny spot somewhere under there?), so you're sucking away its lifespan, even if drawing only a small parasitic...
  9. Andersonix

Decent small DAC with optical input?

Look on craigslist for a Schiit Modi!
  10. Andersonix

Absolutely Preposterous Denafrips DAC Reviews

Likely you're just not sophisticated or imaginative enough to pick up on the writer's clues that make it a very insightful piece of marketing and not AI. Even while mocking it, you missed the breadcrumbs sprinkled out for the thrifty audiophile: that one can just buy the cheapest one, add a...
  11. Andersonix

Mosfet power amps all the same ?

Did Acurus/Aragon ever have a mosfet amp? In the end, the difference is how much bias the output stage is running. A factory Adcom 5200, 5300, or 5400 is biased to barely 2W in class A, but with more PS caps (lower ripple) much more in class A can be had if the extra heat is managed.
  12. Andersonix

Adcom GFA 5200 Measurements

Did you know that "Adcom" is an acronym for "Additional Compensation"? I have three of these 5200 amps: one early model with common PS (date sticker says "4-95") and two later ones with separate front end PS (both "3-97"). If you rub one just so, you can make it have 20W in class A...
  13. Andersonix

Convert power amps to headphone amps.

Sounds like it's the circuit from #10 but with a slight difference in resistance. If I were selling this to the unwashed masses I would also put a fat capacitor in line, or add a voltmeter to check for DC every time, as that can drift a lot on its own and normally doesn't settle until it's...
  14. Andersonix

DRIAMS Do Come True - the BLON BL-03 IEM

My expectations were extremely low for these BL-03 when I bought mine from Drop a couple of months ago. I only bought them because they had a microphone and were cheap, so I could use them on the phone at least once I was sure they were crap. I even pronounce Blon as "blown," so the joke's on...
  15. Andersonix

Convert power amps to headphone amps.

from solderdude himself! https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/power-amp-adapter/
  16. Andersonix

Is Akg k702 really a power hungry headphone ??

I hated the bumps under the headband on all the AKGs. A friend lent me an Austrian pair of K702 (that had bumps) that he had bought in Austria (iirc he said over 300 Euro in 2012, so close to US$400), and I thought they sounded very good (maybe too good for the digital I had at that time) and I...
  17. Andersonix

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

Also there's a new Philips, the X3. I noticed it had a release price of $200, but is now being offered at around $300. But it's brand new, so give it time to settle. Might be fun to see if it's the same driver as the X2HR, but in a slick frame?
  18. Andersonix

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

ESS 422H about $165 delivered in USA
  19. Andersonix

Is Akg k702 really a power hungry headphone ??

It appears K702, K7xx, and K712 could be using the same driver but mechanically tuned differently? It would be ironic if the cheaper K702 could be toned down to sound like K712, but not vice versa. I have K702 and like the comfort and relative ease to drive, but they could be a tiny bit...
Top Bottom