Search results

1. F

What are we listening to right now..

Nancy Wilson and Cannonball Adderley 1961 https://archive.org/details/adderley-cannonball-1961-nancy-wilson-and-cannonball-adderley-side-a-blp-cr-06/Adderley%2C+Cannonball+(1961)+-+Nancy+Wilson+and+Cannonball+Adderley+side+A+(BLP)-cr-02.flac
  2. F

Farewell my friends. Health is deteriorating - I'm fading out. (Updated - RIP)

perhaps some herbal blend like "Essiac" plus "B17" could somewhat ease your pain.
  3. F

DIY Mini-Unity Horn. Am I crazy?

Ha - even Mr. Flexy is thinking small Synergy/Unity. (I have some of Tom's original Unity prototypes where he experimented with the MISCO's entry point holes) Done right, its more coherent than most "fullrange". Frazier speakers made two ways with horn tweeters in front of a woofer which...
  4. F

A very brief impression of the Oneodio Monitor 80

(only a few minutes and not broken in) very nice listening to Fischer-Dieskau -Brendel Winterreise (video "live" version) - from extremely crude measurements I think its nearly Harmon - tuned (? - see graphs) btw - IIRC its more sensitive than HE400X4 - I turned the level down for Oneodio's...
  5. F

What measuring jig for Diy planar magnetic headphones ?

here's a 50 cent rig made of pink foam board with a steak knife - if the bottom foam board were large enough to support the mic then the insertion hole might not wear out so fast from the foam being compressed. For some reason I thought ScotchBrite might "de-Q" things by being a leaky gasket...
  6. F

New Rode NTH-100 headphones.

Do the measured compression effects from ~30 to 150Hz affect the sound in any noticeable way ? (the low end looks flatter at higher spl) I wish my ESS 422H had that 1.7 watt handling as forgot to turn the amplifier down from listening to T50RP - both AMT appear dead.
  7. F

Simulation Analysis - Screws in Waveguide

fascinating thread - I have a request for a simulation of something with "more in the way" than a screw head. It may appear a frivolous request but besides my hobby, might be a good illustration of what can be done without building a physical prototype...
  8. F

The Walnut DAP EQ response measured - AKA "Jazz is Flat"

Mine (from which the curves were obtained) is the Walnut V2 which dispensed with the needless "screen" gimmick - If one loaded maybe 20 favorite concerts/albums the that could work quite well by sifting back and forth to recognizable beginnings. The volume pot is handy if there's somehing...
  9. F

In-Ceiling Speakers: Time to cut the wires?

50+ years ago, John Karlson had a ceiling version of his "asymmectric projector. It was called the "AP9C" and made of heavy gauge stamped steel to employ a 6x9" dual cone driver and fit into standard drop ceilings. MISCO has a nice looking 6x9 :) dunno if I've still a picture or not - it was...
  10. F

Doppler distortion doesn't make sense (Edit: It actually does!)

I think I've heard it on headphones on Youtube videos such as those where there's continuous high amplitude LF along with a tune and that IEM are more guilty of it than competent on-ear/over ear headphones which have much more surface area. Its heard as "gargle" such as one would hear talking...
  11. F

is not music - that's how much rolloff that EQ setting seems to have - it sounds like muffled AM radio. The measurements were made with averaged pink noise. Line out on "Jazz" measures pretty much dead flat from 20Hz to ~18.8KHz on mp3 pink noise and `3dB on the low end at 16Hz. "Jazz"...
  12. F

wondered why "Jazz" always had the clearest sound and also how basically useless the other curves are due to HF boost occuring a bit too low plus a "flat" setting which rolls off below 200Hz. There's no LF boost available so brightly voiced IEM sound very thin with the seal I typically get.
  13. F

Tubes: Modern vs Vintage

I'm kinda older - - assembled a mono Knight Kit pp-6bq5, a stereo Lafayette death trap (no power transformer), Eico ST40. For horn systems, a single ended tube amp is one way to go. I run my Klipschorns on a Crown XLS 2000. I built one single ended amp ~25 years back - and heavy so thieves...
  14. F

Open baffle speaker design

on the reasonably priced side, sans crossover, $250-$350 per side (including wood) should make a decent open baffle speaker two 18 inch GW1858 per side would move a fair amount of air without much excursion - I've used on in an H-baffle - its qts is a bit high but a narrow baffle would offset...
  15. F

PMC fenestria, new Flagship speaker for the consumer market

thank - although a "lot of money" those seem fair considering driver and xover parts cost here's one of TD's earliest Unity on top of one of my Karlson couplers - it would normally sport a slotted pipe tweeter right above the woofer - that pipe works well on top too.
  16. F

PMC fenestria, new Flagship speaker for the consumer market

4 toy size woofers + short t-line + big price = "not impressed" - I doubt if Danley's speaker shown here costs that much https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/synergy-horn/sh69/ $1000 and woodworking skills should build a competent 2- channel horn system. John Inlow has...
  17. F

One argument against the use of op-amps in some audio applications

it this has already been discussed then please excuse and remove http://lkvresearch.blogspot.com/2015/08/why-i-choose-to-design-with-discrete.html
  18. F

Review and Measurements of u-turn Pluto and ART DJPRE II Phono Preamps

thanks again - its kinda telling that a whole preamp can be bought from China including shipping vs what it cost to ship a little pack from Australia to the US. IF it still works, I have an old switchable frequency VSP-Labs highpass filter and used to have the preamp
  19. F

Review and Measurements of u-turn Pluto and ART DJPRE II Phono Preamps

that one looks excellent ! - wonder what would be the easiest and most cost effective power supply for it ?
Top Bottom