Search results

1. solderdude

GoldenSounds passes apparently ABX test for DACs (NOT Really)

Those differences are not above 20kHz. In this case they are and on top of that very short lived. Music is something entirely different than test tones and the 20kHz content is part of music that has content below 20kHz as well.
  2. solderdude

Cameron went out of his way to keep it a scientific and verifiable as he could (my opinion). He chose music because he thought it might give him the best chance to pull this off. We should realize that he probably has been playing this game for a while now and only published because of the...
  3. solderdude

I see no crazy peaks between 20 and 22kHz in the Susvara I measured nor any resonances at those specific frequencies. Of course this is just my measurement and not Cameron's copy nor do we know what his pinna does at these frequencies. The signals are very small and even when 120dB peaks are...
  4. solderdude

darn it ... now we are going to have to look for the missing signal, the thing that is not measured yet. What if the diff file is steeply high passed above 20kHz and that file is slowed down to half speed we can actually hear what the difference is. I presume to become audible (as 10-12kHz...
  5. solderdude

do you use replaygain to avoid clipping loudness audio file?

A de-clipper can only try to guess what a peak level might have been prior to being clipped. It will not address dynamic compression, but you will get better DR numbers simply because of the relatively increased peaks so it's like 'een sigaar uit eigen doos'. There is no English saying that is...
  6. solderdude

do you use replaygain to avoid clipping loudness audio file?

Different mastering (specifically for vinyl), different frequency response (cartridge, per-amp) is the main reason for this. The lathe also changes some properties (bass and transients) so a needle won't jump out of the groove. Some folks enjoy vinyl more because of those reasons. Better to...
  7. solderdude

Koss KPH40 headphones and Zero 2 IEMs. How can such inexpensive items sound so good?

With the KPH40 Koss finally listened to Koss fans who fitted KSC35/75 drivers to a cheap/simple headband instead of the complicated PortaPro headband. I hated the 'hook' of the Portapro which poked in the top of my pinna. Grinded it off. The KPH40 headband seems better. Next iteration with...
  8. solderdude

Op Amp Rolling

12 years ago I tested some op-amps I had lying around in a C'Moy (including rail splitter) https://www.mediafire.com/file/p2hnepv9u8dlbje/Portable_op-amp_headphone_amplifier_test.pdf/file
  9. solderdude

Koss KPH40 headphones and Zero 2 IEMs. How can such inexpensive items sound so good?

Below KPH30i with various seals (different earpad size/shape) Notice the 'smooth' response all the way up to a few kHz. It is what makes the Koss thingies sound good and 'natural' IMO. A bit HD650-ish (plot below) for lows and mids but for a fraction of the price.
  10. solderdude

They will change the sound and comfort a little. I don't have Yaxi pads but did fit some other pads. The horrible bass boosted ones are all pleather pads being sold as an 'improvement' on Ali-Express. red = stock KSC75, purple is Chinese 'replacement' pad for Koss thingies.
  11. solderdude

Bass response also depends on how well they seal on the ear (so the shape of the pinna) Below its biggest issue (for those wanting Harman bass). (Note this is the current KSC75) measured at 90dB SPL and they love to reproduce 4kHz.. That said... I really like the sound and when they are...
  12. solderdude

It's why I suggested the test and using the original sample which seems to have the right amount of 22kHz in the recording. Of course there are multiple effects at play and preference is only one of them. Still could be fun for 'mortals' to AB that for themselves before they splurge on...
  13. solderdude

Koss makes good sounding and cheap on-ears. They are rather limited in max. SPL and are rolled-off in the sub-lows but are really 'smooth' in response from 50Hz to 4kHz. A good alternative for people on a budget that don't like shoving in their their earwax a bit deeper or hate the feeling of...
  14. solderdude

True audiophools swear by filterless NOS DACs for the same reason and even prefer the roll-off these DACs exhibit but say they appreciate the treble extension and 'impulse' behavior. It might be fun to compare the original sample Cameron used upsampled to 176kHz (once steep filtered and once...
  15. solderdude

Op Amp Rolling

There are quite a few differences when using opamps in Chu Moy amps. The reason being most opamps are not designed to drive anything lower than 2000ohm. In general the 'sound' they have is determined by the current limiter behavior which could be an issue for headphones with a low impedance...
  16. solderdude

The thing is all DACs that can do 88.2kHz or higher can easily outperform the frequency response of a Chord DAC playing 44.1kHz files using software filtering (as the one used by GoldenSound) so there is no need for a DAC like that, certainly not at that price. In that case one could even say...
  17. solderdude

Cameron claims he already did compare DACs with the ABX device and claims he aced it but did not want to go public fearing he would not be believed. He said he wanted to prove he could tell 2 different reconstruction filters apart (against all odds) and 18/20 is a good result. He stated this was...
  18. solderdude

probably not but Sharur most likely used a headphone/earphone the point is that in both cases transducers are used which may or may not play 'nice' around 21-22kHz ... :oops:
  19. solderdude

When he just records the output of both DACs that should be enough input for DeltaWave. Doing an actual test IRL with those 2 DACs real time is really problematic. Maybe it should have short 'mutes' and somehow the timing differences should be made small enough. Level matching (for both...
  20. solderdude

Looking at the DAC I don't expect any weirdness at 176kHz sample rate. I would suspect the Susvara (in combination with his ears) a bit more than some minutia coming from an amplifier or DAC or re-sampler. I did not see any weirdness from 15kHz up to 30kHz in my Susvara measurement but that's...
Top Bottom