Search results

1. J

Sabaj A30a announced

The SMSL sdb setting is identical to using the tone controls with treble at +4 dB and bass at +5 dB - at least in my ao200 (measurements in this thread). And those tone controls come 'for free' in the analog volume-control chip they use in many of their products. There is nothing magic about...
  2. J

Why do no $200 DAC's include a subwoofer out and HPF given that numerous DAC/AMP's from the same companies and prices include this feature? (Ex- SMSL)

SDB has nothing to do with the high-pass filtering; it is just an EQ setting that boosts bass and treble. My ao200 has SDB but no HPF, and I have verified that SDB is nothing more than +5dB bass and +4 dB treble built into the NJW1194 volume control chip. If your DAC has a volume control, in...
  3. J

Headphone Amplifier Circuit Design

Building a headphone amplifier with discrete components can be fun, but that circuit will not be useful. Without even trying to understand exactly how it is supposed to work, it is clear that it will have significant DC on the output which could in principle damage headphones. Also, it is a...
  4. J

Is moving from Aiyima A07 to SMSL AO200 or SMSL A300 worth doing?

I do not know if the upgrade makes sense. However, I do not believe there is DSP in the AO200 that I bought recently. At least when it comes to the tone controls and EQ settings, I made some measurements and it looks like the tone controls are simply what the analog NJW1194 preamp chip has...
  5. J

Measurements of SMSL AO200 EQ Settings

Looking at the tone control curves and the built-in EQ curves, I had a hunch that EQ settings are simply selections of the bass and treble tone controls. So I did a few more measurements to confirm - the plots are attached. I guess it shouldn't be surprising since this would be an easy way to...
  6. J

Measurements of SMSL AO200 EQ Settings

I picked up one of these units a few weeks ago and have been pretty happy with it. While I just use the treble and bass tone controls, I was curiuos to see how the other EQ settings work. In particular, I wanted to know if the SDB setting was 'dynamic' - which to me would mean that the...
Top Bottom