Search results

1. G

Legendary producer Steve Albini dead at 61

That is alarming to read, I hope they will turn the negative trend around sometime soon. Everyone seems to struggle these days, it's as if the old "calculations of everything" don't work anymore as everything has gotten way more expensive after the pandemic and higher costs caused by the...
  2. G

I meant that touring and playing live has always been the main income for most bands concerning the band's music, concerning playing live vs selling records. I didn't mean it's necessarily either the touring or selling records that are the main income for the individuals in the band that keep...
  3. G

”The Problem With Music” by Steve Albini is something everyone should read. It's about the reality most bands had to face when the music industry had all the power thanks to the control of physical media. The good thing in this time and age is that the greedy middle hand is no longer needed...
  4. G

BACCH4 Mac ORC recommended recordinings?

I skimmed through that page but can’t find any comments like that, maybe you can be more specific on what posts you mean?
  5. G

BACCH4 Mac ORC recommended recordinings?

I have not seen people writing it off without hearing it, who are they and in what thread did you read that?
  6. G

What is your favorite house curve

I think it's expected that all your measurements will look quite similar when they are all done at a short distance of one meter or less. I guess all types of measurements in a nearfield position could be used to determine what EQ adjustments are needed for the frequency range above the...
  7. G

I just tested your method and the nearfield MMM measurement at a distance of about 50-80cm comes very close to the gated measurement at 1 meter, as can be seen in the picture below. My speakers have some obvious deviations ( which I don't have any real problem with) in the 4-6 kHz region, which...
  8. G

Using EQ on a per-track or album basis would take away the focus from the music listening for me. Even if I sometimes stumble on a somewhat bright-sounding album, my hearing usually acclimates itself to the new tonal balance fairly quickly after a song or two if I’m enjoying the music. I think...
  9. G

I don't think the speaker stand will be a big problem, and you could easily place the speaker further away from the walls during the measurement to make sure the microphone is always at a closer distance to the speaker than the first reflection point.
  10. G

Thanks, I will try this out tomorrow and compare it to my gated measurements. Regarding my 3-way ATC speakers, the acoustic center is right at the mid-dome driver.
  11. G

It seems like your method works. How near in front of the speaker do you wave your microphone, and how large area do you cover on the vertical plane?
  12. G

I’m devastated by this news and almost in a state of disbelief. Steve Albini is my guru when it comes to a lot of things in life. I have been following his career for the last 30 years, musically through his bands, and other bands he recorded, and have learned almost everything I know about...
  13. G

I think it should go without saying that an optimal speaker placement and, hopefully, a balanced-sounding listening position with as few compromises are found, and that at least the most problematic room acoustic is dealt with before anyone reaches for the EQ tool, which should be the last step...
  14. G

As you have REW and a measuring microphone, you can fairly easily make a measurement suited for a gated analysis. Just place both your speaker and the microphone as far away as possible from boundaries, with the microphone at the height of your speaker's acoustic axis and about 2 meters away to...
  15. G

do you use replaygain to avoid clipping loudness audio file?

I missed this post earlier. While it's true that ReplayGain or other normalization solutions can't do anything about clipping in the source data, it will still help to avoid possible digital clipping in the reproduction chain by increasing the peak headroom. In the above example with the song...
  16. G

The whole idea of normalization is a more even loudness across different mastered songs and albums that is applied automaticall, if you don't find the “automatic” part useful, you can of course just change to volume yourself. Most albums already have a good loudness balance from track to track...
  17. G

The track by Lorde in your first post does have true peaks over digital zero as can be seen in the picture below, so ReplayGain will in this case help avoid digital clipping in your system.
  18. G

That's why you should always choose "album normalization" if that is an option. That way the normalization is based on the loudest track on the album, and if that track for example is lowered by 2 dB, the rest of the tracks on the same album will also be lowered by 2 dB to preserve the intended...
  19. G

GoldenSounds passes apparently ABX test for DACs (NOT Really)

Thank you! Knowing that will make it easier to keep the concentration level up throughout the trials without having to wonder if A and B have also changed. :)
Top Bottom