Search results

1. T

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

I did some OPA rolling with SU1, but I'm definitely know that this below is my very objective results. I have no such level professinal equipment like amirm, to measure differences, only my ears. LME49720, original setup: sounds well, enjoyable, but at high volumes I found upper ends a bit...
  2. T

Because both (SMSL and Topping) units use the same DAC chip AK4493SEQ, I found that this kind of 'brightness' may came from the last output stage power filtering diffs. I have the C100 one unmodified to compare listening each, same chipset, output and input stages. So the "brightness" seems...
  3. T

AKM new flagship AK4191 + AK4499EX

@lyramax DO300EX has single AK4499EX, look:
  4. T

AKM new flagship AK4191 + AK4499EX

I also satisfied with DO300EX. However I upgraded from an old FX-6 used for many years as my headphone amp during worktime. FX6 has a good listening sound, not fatique at all, but less detail, and less bass than the 300EX. The timbre sounds different to me. I know there are a lot technical...
  5. T

Sabaj A20d 2023 DAC & HP Amp Review

@amirm thank you for the work you put in detailed measurements! I'm trying to find in the pages which 'sound color' settings you used for measueements, because the first one cauaing +15dB SINAD, with no success :( Can you please share with us, which one was in use to achieve the best results...
  6. T

Just bought recently an SMSL C100, very similar to SU1 internally (it has a led+bt), found probably a counterfreit opa: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/chi-fi-and-use-of-counterfeit-parts.4464/post-1903174
  7. T

I know that listening sound impressions are very objective and cannot be measured, but I compared the SU1 to SMSL M300mk2 and Topping E30 in some listening "test". Because I have no such high quality measurement equipments like amirm uses. Tried to match volume levels. Interestingly the better...
  8. T

This DAC is too cheap no to play with it a bit :) I decided to order from a trusted supplier an official LME49860 (same as 49720 but higher voltage tolerance - it was in stock). It looks different, not just the front, but it has marking at it's back side (49720 has nothing). Replaced on board...
  9. T

Yep, you are right. Anyways I can see multitone measurement differences as well. Probably inaudible.
  10. T

I'm talking about the output opamp dynamic range. It means that bigger +- supply voltage obviously can provide wider (THD free) range, at the output stage, despite what messured above. Bigger supply voltage also has some positive effect om slew rate and SNR...
  11. T

There are many differences under the hood. Starts with the unknown RT6863 output opa in Topping vs the LME49720 well known, good sounding - and measured - one in SU1. Doesn't say that SU1 output stage works from +-12V vs the Topping +-5.6V, provides better output dynamic range. The SU1 has the...
  12. T

Thank you, but SU1 has SOIC8 variant on it's PCB. It has a bit different paintings and look.
  13. T

Yeah, probably. Thanks.
  14. T

Fake LME49720? I took a picture the DAC inside. Everything is similar to other one's except the LME49720 output opa. The strange here, that there is no "pin 1 mark". It' missing there, as you can see on the photo. The TI's documentation says there should be there. I can see many types (small...
  15. T

WolfX700 Measurement of SMSL M300 MkII Edition

I just bought one because of AK4497 dac chip quality and good reviews. Very well built and organized device, clean PCBs inside, quality LM4562 OPAs, Onsemi LC89091 DIR for toslink, XMOS... However, it sounds dull, holds back, blunt, "dark" :( Compared to the SMSL SU-1. SU-1 has similar output...
  16. T

Topping E30 DAC Review

After a few days of listening changed back the output OPA from AD8620 to the original OPA1612. The main reason is with AD, it was a treble emphasizing, a too much at low-treble range. In listening, it was too tiring for my ears. With the original OPA it is soft and flat sounding.
  17. T

Topping E30 DAC Review

Well, this 'velvet' thingy is a piece of crap - for me. No dynaimcs. At all. I listen rock music, probably this is the problem. Worst treble I ever heard :( Now thiking about replace the AD8620 to something very basic and crap OPAmp to add some harmonic distortion to the output to get treble...
  18. T

Topping E30 DAC Review

So I eventually replaced the OPA1612 to AD8620 in my E30. Unfortunately minimal or no sound change - at least audible. Seems that this mellow and warm sound - which is not my cup of tea - is coming from the AKM DAC. :(
  19. T

Topping E30 DAC Review

Vs: +-13V Low input bias current: 10 pA maximum 1612 input differential impedance 20k vs infinite.
  20. T

Topping E30 DAC Review

I see, in that case it's more sensitive to output impedance.
Top Bottom