Search results

1. H

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Hi, For example, all the tracks on the Eagles "The Studio Albums 1972-1979” compilation are 48/96/192. An MQA DAC can decode those to 192 kHz (two “unfolds”) and sounds great. When connected to a regular non-MQA DAC the app itself is able to do one unfold and outputs 96 kHz. This also sounds...
  2. H

The Tidal desktop app is a “decoder” and can do the “first unfold” to either 88.1 or 96 kHz. Does your RME show you the input frequency? The “full decoder” implemented in the XMOS chips of SMSL and Topping DACs is supposed to be support both the first and a second unfold, if there is any...
  3. H

Hi ... FYI, I get very similar issues with the SMSL M500. Described here.
  4. H

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

From searching in other forums, it sounds like the Topping D90 has the same issue. It seems like the MQA decoding is programmed into the XMOS XU216 chip that most of these machines use, so may be a problem somewhere in the chain from Studio -> Tidal -> XMOS. Hopefully the Studio and / or Tidal...
  5. H

Thank you for checking. If I play the same track through a non-MQA DAC (FOSTEX HP-A8) in exclusive mode, then the output frequency changes to 88.1 kHz. And if I play through my Zorloo Ztella then the light is purple and it sounds great. So I suspect this is an issue specific to the M500, but...
  6. H

For example, the version of "Take It Easy (2013 Remaster)" by Eagles that is included in "The Studio Albums 1972-1979" compilation is 48/96/192, and sounds great. Whereas the version on the "Eagles (2013 Remaster)" album is 44.1/88.2 and has the problem I described. As a side note, it's hard to...
  7. H

Hi, Has anyone noticed issues with MQA decoding of Tidal tracks that should be 88.2 kHz but play as 44.1 kHz? They show a green MQA indicator, but more importantly they come out sounding noticeably worse than regular CD. Tracks that are 48/96/192 don’t have any issues. I’m using a Mac and have...
Top Bottom