Search results

1. JeremyFife

Which upgrade path to take?

I'll add to the consensus: your equipment is already very good. Sorry, but you probably need to accept that your next step is DSP and room treatment. I appreciate that you don't want to invest in room treatment, but you will have to get to grips with measuring your room and applying DSP...
  2. JeremyFife

First dac. Help me to choose.

Nice, there is something very pleasing about handling vinyl and especially when there is a nostalgic or family connection :) Don't spend much on a Turntable or phono stage though, it's very easy to get lost down the rabbit hole and the sound quality can never match digital. My modest (approx...
  3. JeremyFife

Schiit Vidar 2 Stereo Amplifier Review

Thanks for the detail - which is completely over my head :)
  4. JeremyFife

First dac. Help me to choose.

Hi, and welcome :) Modern DACs are great, some are technically better but unless they are terrible you simply cannot hear a difference ( differences are below our audible threshold) Don't worry about digital resolution. Anything at least 16/44.1 is audibly as good as we can hear. Don't worry...
  5. JeremyFife

Stream wiim pro plus vs zenstream

I'd say to keep the WiiM mini, unless there is a specific feature in the WiiM Pro that you need. As streamers, there is no material difference.
  6. JeremyFife

New member - 2 channel room correction advice

This does seem like a hi-fi space where there are big gaps: affordable room correction, HDMI connectivity. It's still AVR territory really. The new WiiM products are interesting but the room correction is not yet released so is untested. One of the Dennons sounds sensible; good track record...
  7. JeremyFife

DAC under 200€ for new newbies

Oh, yeah - your next purchase should be a measurement microphone (UMIC-1 is the best option) and the free REW software to use it. Start making measurements, start understanding what your system is doing 'in your room ' and start realising what you can do improve that.
  8. JeremyFife

Cool - read about DSP in relation to speaker and room interaction - it is absolutely the most important thing you can do to improve your sound. The introduction is cheap - free software on your PC, but it goes deep. If you are interested in good sound, this is where to spend time
  9. JeremyFife

Don't overthink this. Your Focusrite is pretty good, just use it and stop worrying :) When your life settles down, after school, and you have new speakers that you are happy with then come back to this. Electronics don't really matter that much for hi-fi these days - speakers do, room...
  10. JeremyFife

Anything that fits... I think the Focusrite has TRS output (6.35mm jack) and I assume your amp has RCA input ... so a TRS to RCA cable will be fine, just do an Amazon search J&D Dual 1/4 inch TS to Dual RCA Stereo Audio Interconnect Cable, Gold Plated Copper Shell Heavy Duty 2X 6.35mm Male TS...
  11. JeremyFife

Hi, Just use your Focusrite, the DAC is fine - you can do better in measurements but not audibly. Save your money, and energy, for after you upgrade those speakers. In the meantime, relax and enjoy the music
  12. JeremyFife

Just sold my LS50 Wireless - what next?

Nice, and also congratulations on that small matter of your wedding - some things are even better than hi-fi :D
  13. JeremyFife

Will my 1V pre-out be able to harness all of Hypex power amp's power?

The power amplifier(s) you mention are good. Your Yamaha is pretty decent too. Get an amp, try it out. Worst case, you need another upgrade but I'd be really surprised if it doesn't sound good, and loud.
  14. JeremyFife

Subwoofer suggestions

There's a great Subwoofer resource in here --== Links by @SweetChaos ==--
  15. JeremyFife

Beoplay A9 MkI + Wiim Pro Plus?

Seems overly complicated: adding £600 GBP to your signal path for no benefit. Perhaps I've missed something
  16. JeremyFife

Stream wiim pro plus vs zenstream

Hi, Both the Wiim Pro and the WiiM Pro Plus are good streamers and will not sound worse than your Zen. They probably won't sound better either, so it's up to you if you want the additional features that WiiM offer. I'd add my view that the WiiM app is pretty good, and I find the application and...
  17. JeremyFife

Beoplay A9 MkI + Wiim Pro Plus?

That's a VERY cool speaker (the A9) :) No idea what it sounds like, but it's striking. If you did want to change it, the KEF LSX (or LSX ii LT) are very decent and have a high WAF - range of colour options - I think they look sharp. You can connect directly into them, or via the WiiM
  18. JeremyFife

WiiM Ultra

Completely agree!
  19. JeremyFife

Bit depth & sample rate display

Hi, I doubt that knowing that information will help. You want the same audio signal (frequencies over time). Two different digital resolutions can contain the same audio, and two identical digital resolutions can contain different audio (e.g. different masters of the same music). There's no...
  20. JeremyFife

WiiM Ultra

What I find curious is that the WiiM Amp is £319 GBP (uk price, Amazon) The Ultra, as far as I can tell, adds a screen and a phono stage (perhaps) and removes the power amplification and speaker connections. Unless screens are really expensive I'd expect it to be cheaper than the Amp, or the...
Top Bottom