Search results

1. P

Snubber Circuits on the power switch? Pros and Cons

ESP has a nice article talking about RC snubbers over the relay contacts. Even though switch is not a relay but it is similar in operation. Section 4.2 https://sound-au.com/articles/relays2.htm “There are some 'rules of thumb' that are applied to snubbers used across contacts, and these give...
  2. P

Sabaj A10d 2022 Version Review (DAC & Amp)

Nice move from Amir with that scientific paper. Hopefully it will help audio industry to improve in the future.
  3. P

I had it for a while. I think it’s pretty good with clarity. THD+N measurement confirm that. Usually you get what you pay for, but with current price of less than $200 and great performance backed by measurements I say it’s amazing deal. Of course you can always spend more but it’s diminishing...
  4. P

By the way, I misplaced my remote cannot time it anymore. I wonder if Sabaj sells their remotes separately? Couldn’t find it on Amazon…
  5. P

Took it apart to see what’s inside. Pictures are attached. Are those OPA1612 I/V? fed right from the ES9038Q2M DAC chip? Looks like each DAC chip only uses one channel? So it’s not in parallel? What’s those mini trim pots are for?
  6. P

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Do you have both devices? Just do side by side comparison. You’ll hear the difference. E70 is rolled off no matter the filter setting.
  7. P

Finally got my E70 in the mail today! Took it apart for some pictures. Tried prying I/V plastic cover to see what’s inside but no luck so far… Best sound for me was on PCM F-2 and F-4 filter settings. Base was not as delayed as on F-3 that is default. Maybe just my system…
  8. P

E70 and E50 have different DAC chips. E70 is rolled off on the top. E50 is more linear.
  9. P

Yeah, hearing is not the most precise instrumentation to say the least
  10. P

Did you try flashing it with latest firmware? If I remember correctly Topping has its own utility that flashes even bricked DACs. It’s been a while since I reviewed my DX5 so I don’t remember exactly. Might be worth a try.
  11. P

I just found out old values were 47uF for two caps by the buck converters, 100uF and 470uF by the DAC chip.
  12. P

Thanks. I just like to tinker with electronics for fun. Also cost cutting measures make sense in economies of scale, so it can be sometimes beneficial to upgrade components. Maybe not in this particular DAC but I like to entertain the thought. Like upgrading those buck converter caps and two...
  13. P

Wow, nice! I’m curious what was the capacitance for the old components (caps as I see) vs values for the upgrades? Are those Nichicon gold capacitors that were installed? Thanks
  14. P

Looking at this one for my next purchase. Topping website says it’s got better and revised I/V conversion circuit compared to older DACs.
  15. P

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

I had similar issue - mine went into upgrade loop. Fixed it by plugging into PC and running software update tool from Topping.
  16. P

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Did not find zoomed pictures of the inside, so decided to take it apart myself. Attached are the pictures of the output ICs.
  17. P

Rolling (replacing) Op-amps in Topping D10 DAC

If I understand correctly, oscillations for lm4562 (or any IC with high slew rate) are usually because of the bad layout of the PCB, or omissions of the stability components like decoupling capacitors from ground to positive and negative supply. My point was that LM4562 is very low on...
  18. P

You might hear a difference if you try lm4562 as I/V. Or OPA1656. Or OPA1612.
  19. P

What you got here is the distortion profile of the OPA2134 that has been used as I/V converter. Anything you put after it will have those distortions just passed down the chain. What might really change the sound - is swapping those SMD soldered opamps. They are not socketed and require...
Top Bottom