Search results

1. roderickvd

Denafrips Ares II + Topping Pre90 impedance issue

With you on the floating point precision but sadly most hardware implementations I have seen are in integer.
  2. roderickvd

Impedances should be fine. Don’t know about that driver, but if you are saying it attenuates DSD then it must also do so by some digital-to-digital conversion.
  3. roderickvd

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

We are on ASR here, not on Head-Fi. If you claim that relays with control traces impact audio quality compared to DIP switches, assuming equally good level of engineering, please provide evidence to back that up. I would be genuinely interested to see that. On the contrary, when it’s opinion or...
  4. roderickvd

You seem to be right on the pictures, had not spotted the V2.0 on the PCB. Your arguments about relays make no sense. Relays do not influence signals (other than either passing them, or not) and do not require to extend traces of signals they switch. …which is a case in point.
  5. roderickvd

Could do it another way though, like relays or multiplexer controlled by a front panel button. If they paid attention to the reviews, it would make total sense. Like with the SDA-6 refresh, it seems that none of the new pictures are available yet.
  6. roderickvd

Singxer SDA-6 (Pro)

They are active simultaneously.
  7. roderickvd

Impedance will be roughly halved, doubling current draw, and wonky across the frequency spectrum, possibly impacting phase. It will probably work but I don’t recommend it.
  8. roderickvd

Singxer SDA-6 (Pro)

There’s hardware volume control on the USB input. You can control it using with Linux for example, but not with the remote.
  9. roderickvd

Singxer SDA-6 (Pro)

It’s on their website, look it up. I asked some months ago and they would not say.
  10. roderickvd

Objectively I don’t think it’s a good stackup. Go RCA and you throw away half of the R2R ladder. Go XLR and your impedance does not match so nicely. Pick your poison or choose something else, I would say.
  11. roderickvd

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

Oh man that would be something. And then the resistor ladder as analog stage?
  12. roderickvd

Can aliasing be an issue before the Nyquist frequency?

Thanks @DonH56. I realise that these factors are at play. So was interested to know if there's any typical "agreement" on what's used in such circles. Or maybe recognised different schools of thought. You know, like on the audio enthusiast side there's this "linear steep" group, the "minimum...
  13. roderickvd

And I'd answer: a personal interest to learn whether myself & others can be shown to reliably favour a steep, early roll-off filter at playback over a conventional one, and if so, what would explain that. All this regardless of how some artist might or might not have cared, what he/she/their...
  14. roderickvd

Right so how is this in practice? I just don't know how this is in pro audio recording / production circles. Are those transition bands on 44.1 kHz material usually too slow to reach proper attenuation before 22.05 kHz? I'm having fun toying around with this on HQPlayer, which offers a...
  15. roderickvd

Was almost about to open a new topic when I found this one. Sorry for reviving, or actually not really sorry, as I would be keen to hearing your thoughts on these comments by Bruno Putzeys way back in 2003: Source: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sacd-fundamentally-flawed.26075/page-3...
  16. roderickvd

I think the toggle is useless and should always be at low Z regardless op headphones. Low Z is a desirable trait on the output always from an objective standpoint. In the case of the SA-1, the high Z settings just adds 10 ohms to the output.
  17. roderickvd

There are plenty of dBu <> Vrms calculators on the net. If the DAC is operating in 24 or 32 bit you should be fine with digital volume control.
  18. roderickvd

Yes that's strange. Something fishy after all? How can you tell? I think class A going into AB (not B I think) would not be very audible. Anyway I would not worry about the durability, also in class A warmth it should have a fine long life. And +4 dBu "expects" 1.228 Vrms so here is definitely...
  19. roderickvd

Gain staging is making sure the volume between inputs and outputs are balanced as to maximise SNR. So when you encounter distortion or clipping it is actually the opposite of gain staging, but I think this is what they say on the street :) Keep the SA-1 in low gain to minimise the chances of...
  20. roderickvd

They should. In high gain, it probably is due to gain staging. The input impedance of active speakers, generally, is just like the input impedance of an amp which should be 10K or solidly higher, typically 47/50K or as high as 1M. At such impedances the pre-amp is like a voltage source with...
Top Bottom