Search results

1. xrqp

Looking to make a low cost 5.1 system with a PC and no AVR

Here is one possibility how to do it: surround (and more) with a PC
  2. xrqp

Motu Ultralite Mk5, and a PC. Now I can do all I want with minimum equipment.

Listen to stereo, or surround. Use Dirac Live suite w Bass Control. Use Roon. Add microphones, instruments (electric guitar), and karaoke thru the same system, with or without music playback. Record as desired. Use Emby or Plex thru the same system. Here is the system diagram. You don't...
  3. xrqp

DIRAC terminology and info

No. miniDSP includes the software on the PC to create the filters - and it is not called Suite. After you create the filters, you do not need the pC anymore.
  4. xrqp

Parasound JC2 Preamplifier Review

I listened to this JC2 preamp for about 2 years, mostly with the JC5 amp. I thought it sounded very good, relative to what I have heard thru my life. The Chord Hugo TT2 was supposed to be a good preamp plus DAC, but when I tried it during the time I had the JC2, it sounded inferior, so I went...
  5. xrqp

Topping DM7 Owners Thread

I prefer when people only list the equipment that is relevant to the post. But you are right - I am the weirdo.
  6. xrqp

Topping DM7 Owners Thread

Dartin Bout, thanks for shortening your signature. Some people use a "spoiler" button on this site. VOLUME CONTROL on the DM7 is not good. I think the main weakness of the DM7 is the remote control volume control, if you use that volume control, it either changes the volume too slow or too...
  7. xrqp

Ask me questions.

Sorry to hear this. I think it is because it would require a massive educational effort, for masses of people to understand how to use it, and that it exists. I am more technical than most of the general population, and it took me a long long time to figure out what system to create recently...
  8. xrqp

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

When you add "@amirm" in the text, does it notify Amir? I got a feeling this web site has had exponential (rocketing) increases in popularity, and it may be impossible for Amir to see all that is posted, even if does notify him.
  9. xrqp

Amir, can you add "idle power consumption" etc. info on the reviews?

I don't know how much extra work it would be, so maybe not a great idea. But if not too much work, when you do a review, it would be nice to know the power consumption in the various modes like standby, or idle, or normal use. Often the manufacturers do not give that info. I tried to find it...
  10. xrqp

New mini PC i can recommend

Servethehome does interesting reviews too. I am convinced, a fan is OK for most people if done well. Archimago's Musings sold me on that. I have a beelink EQ12 Pro with fan and i cannot hear it unless I get real close. The quietest my room ever gets is about 33db. This Servethehome review...
  11. xrqp

Balanced cable (XLR or TRS) - Mic vs Line, does it affect choice.

Thanks for confirming that any balanced cable for Mic has electric properties so that it can also be used for Line, and vice versa. And yes, one may want various mechanical properties depending on application. Thanks.
  12. xrqp

Balanced cable (XLR or TRS) - Mic vs Line, does it affect choice.

I think microphone is very low amps compared to line level signals (not sure). So if I am doing a 50' line to my powered sub, can I use a cable intended for mic?
  13. xrqp

HTPC's (or PC's) cannot decode Atmos surround sound

Wow. That is super helpful that you explained it so clearly and completely. JRiver needs you to help them write the help instructions. I will do Scenario 2. I would never go over 5.3. I will begin with 2.2 and future possibility of 3.2. or 3.3. Thanks very much for the help.
  14. xrqp

HDMI to USB for Mutichannel DAC OKTO PRO

Are both of these HDMI cables sending multichannel PCM? So the PC is decoding surround to multichannel PCM?
  15. xrqp

I went to Jriver link it said "You will need a receiver that is capable of playing surround sound." I thought that meant an AVR that could decode. Maybe they mean a multi channel amp?
  16. xrqp

Maybe I am wrong and got mixed up with Atmos vs regular. My apologies to all. Do you have a reference link, like from a manufacturer, that PC can decode Dolby/dts up to 5.1/7.1 into lpcm? The Jriver screen shot looks convincing.
  17. xrqp

My guess is it only does passthrough, but I am not certain. I would trust it if it was a link to official Apple info.
  18. xrqp

Do you mean they can decode to 2 channel stereo? I modified my original post for that, since they can decode to stereo.
  19. xrqp

People are telling me I am wrong what I wrote in this first post, so I added this paragraph, did some text strike outs, and changed the title to say Atmos. I guess I was confused with Atmos vs regular surround. Sorry. The replies below are good though. HTPC's (or PC's) cannot decode surround...
  20. xrqp

Dirac desktop implementation

I think you need to explain more what you have/want, and what you are trying to do.
Top Bottom