Search results

1. D

2-Way speaker help

If you want a large standmount take a look at the Helios. It was the best 2 way I believe Jeff designed ( in his own words) I know you are against a kit but you'll really need to put in a tonne of learning to be able to match something like this...
  2. D

2-Way speaker help

Regular speaker design software (VituixCAD etc...) can't handle waveguide loading in the simulation. There may be more advanced tools / models to simulate but that's beyond my knowledge. Real measurements with some trial and error is where I believe most of us are at with waveguides. Augerpro...
  3. D

2-Way speaker help

An extended bass shelf tuning will yield only F3 = 49Hz in a 14.5L enclosure (Fb (box tuning) = 45Hz) You'll need a subwoofer to get any bass extension (let alone decent volume). In that case go sealed and protect the MarkAudio driver from over-excursion, get reduced IMD in the midbass (from...
  4. D

2-Way speaker help

Your woofer inductors are too low of a value to apply adequate bafflestep compensation (if the woofer is 8ohm). Did you do some sort of on-line calculator to come up with the component values? Why go full 4th order electrical? Do you have the frequency response and impedance sims to go with...
  5. D

New Fosi Audio V3 Mono vs Topping PA5 II vs Topping PA7 (inc. 'Plus' versions)...and Aiyima A70

My guess is the Gala Stradas likely employ a LC parallel notch to maybe tame the tweeter with a FR rise above 10KHz. Looking at the slope. impedance increases again above 20KHz. Not much power will be going into them, but I don't know much about oscillation problems (if any) with Class D amps...
  6. D

Speaker "Speed"

I'm going to quote the late (great) Jeff Bagby on this one... (re driver size and speed). This does not cover group delay and enclosure related impact. "There is still a lot of misinformation about this on the web, and this leads to a lot of confusion and misapplied physics. Larger drivers are...
  7. D

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

The thing is, all feedback can be spun. You can absorb perceived punch, or you can direct the energy. the latter is less tiring and can be turned into a positive. "It's not linear" -> "That's the sound profile my customers prefer and in a number of listening tests with them" "There are...
  8. D

I don't think so. the primary breakup of the Alpha-8A would at least need a notch. It's not like the Seas A26 for example which has a 2nd order more or less natural roll off (HP): Green is the unfiltered Alpha 8A. With a nominal 2nd order crossover on the tweeter (no padding) there's a...
  9. D

Help me to design a stereo pair of 3-way speakers from scratch (well, almost from scratch)

What are you planning for measurement? Getting a microphone would be my first step
  10. D

Haha both. "You put your left foot in, your right foot out". It's called the Hokey Tokey measurement method.
  11. D

Simulation normally means taking raw driver measurements, and using a simulator to generate a system response for frequency and impedance based on the crossover added to the simulator. Garbage in / out applies. That is, if accurate, reflection free measurements are taken of the raw drivers in...
  12. D

Help me to design a stereo pair of 3-way speakers from scratch (well, almost from scratch)

Beautiful looking speaker! Did you put the midrange in its own sealed sub-enclosure? Did you end up with a passive or active crossover?
  13. D

Yes - Stereophile just splice the nearfield to the farfield without applying baffle step losses to the nearfield measurement. this may result in between 3 - 6dB boost that may not be there in the actual speaker.
  14. D

After some import and manipulation of factory measurements of the Eminence Alpha-8A and (assumed tweeter) Peerless BC25TG15-04 I came up with this guessed crossover for the M Lore. The manipulation comprises subtracting IEC baffle and applying enclosure response to the Alpha-8A and baffle...
  15. D

I thought I'd try to reverse engineer the M-Lore as a bit of an experiment. The speaker dimensions indicate about a 35L internal volume (without bracing). The design quotes a 38Hz bass extension (likely F10) we get the following response: We can see at only 19.2w we both start to exceed a...
  16. D

If I was the designer. I would have replied as follows. "The measurements are accurate and as intended for a speaker at this price point. It balances dynamics, size in a compact mini floorstander, and cost (minimising crossover parts), tailored to a frequency response that my listeners have...
  17. D

Does anyone know what Tweeter the Tekton M Lore uses? I'd like to publish a design addressing said issues, assuming Tekton uses pretty much factory drivers. PS: I can already see with a factory Eminence Alpha-8A woofer, we are looking at a realistic ~90dB after baffle step compensation...
  18. D

When ego and emotion are charging, science steps out of the way to watch the inevitable crash and document the evidence.
  19. D

We must not confuse measurements with accuracy vs. preferences. It's perfectly fine to design a speaker to suit the majority of preferences. Such as speaker may not be accurate (in terms of reproducing the input signal as faithfully as possible). Take the classic BBC dip for example of Rogers...
  20. D

It depends on the design and intended listening axis (as I'm sure you know). For a WT arrangement, not uncommon to have the woofer being the listening and measurement reference axis (and not tweeter). This will change phase response around crossover. I assume the ~1KHz hump here is more a...
Top Bottom