Search results

1. D

Input Transformer Advice for Common Impedance Coupling (Ground Loop)

I will add a loopback test with TRS and TS cables between the M32 to my list of tests. As per your suggestion about using a dummy plug, I did follow the dummy plug tests via the Whitlock PDF to determine that the device itself or input to it are not the cause of the hum. It seems to be at the...
  2. D

The delay device has TS outputs. I have been using TS connections and moved to modified TRS connections as per the Rane PDF and other's suggestions (tying cold to ground at the delay device. This caused the 4db improvement in noise. I'm in US. !20vac/60hz Single family home, no shared power...
  3. D

I believe I tested all the relevant bal-to-unbal and vice versa as per my previous post: The only thing I haven't tried there that I still want to is creating an alligator test clip from the ground of a balanced cable. I just need more TRS cables now! Can you clarify what you mean by grounding...
  4. D

My final "console" is the digital mixing software "TotalMix" which is controlled via the computer via a MIDI controller, but can be run off RME hardware that has an independent power supply. This allowed me to use the UFX+ (a USB device) as a test case. However, my typical set up is with the...
  5. D

Yes, there are a collection of noises depending on the configuration, but all can be modified or eliminated via changing ground relationships... EXCEPT the underlying buzz/hum (60 hz and 180ish hz [not 120!]). 180hz is always louder. This is also accompanied by a midrange motorboat fluttering...
  6. D

(1, 3) My set up is a little unique in the number of FX send/returns, but it's very functional for my needs. It just turns out that a lot of gear happens to be unbalanced. Examples: Tascam Reel-to-Reel Tape machines, Strymon pedals, Moogerfooger pedals, synthesizer with audio inputs (to access...
  7. D

I've done the following tests: 1.) Device Out > TS > RME In. RME Out > TS > Device In (original configuration) 2.) Device Out > TRS > RME In. RME Out > TRS > Delay Unit In (cold shorted to sleeve/ground at the I/O of the Device) @KSTR 3.) Device Out > TRS > RME In. RME Out > TRS > Delay...
  8. D

This response is gold! Thank you! Could you elaborate on the use of USB isolators. I tried a couple things regarding some of my audio devices (synthesizers) using some USB isolators, and also attempting to lift the ground with a strip of tape. Perhaps there is a recommended product that I would...
  9. D

Great response! When doing tests, it seemed as though isolating from the output of each device to the ADC would be the best option, but I can experiment with both of course. That price tag isn't too bad at all. My main concern with the transformers is a coloration of phase or frequency...
  10. D

Some interesting results so far. First, I checked continuity with all ground pins and each devices chassis. All were fine. Then I checked continuity between chassis of the devices, all fine, and ground pins of all devices (powered off of course) and all were fine. The resistance measured in...
  11. D

I don't THINK any of the power strips are actually "daisy chained", but rather spreading out from the Furman in parallel, though there may be one or two exceptions. Certainly no daisy chains in the equipment I'm using for my tests. I did test the computer on the Furman, and results were either...
  12. D

All devices on are the same circuit, but the music equipment uses a Furman "Elite" Linear Power Conditioner and appropriate power strips to deliver power. PC is plugged direct into the outlet that the Furman is plugged into. Seems like maybe you're suggesting the opposite approach (connecting...
  13. D

I'll double check all of this, but we did recently do a cleaning on the hardware of the PC. I would be shocked if the RME boxes needed isolating but they already are. The PCIe card is not noisy, at least generally speaking. It's channels with send return configuration where the noise is...
  14. D

The end master device will be a PCIe card (RME MADI FX). USB won't be plugged in with the final set up, but has been used for testing and was part of the old set up.
  15. D

This post's scope is mostly focused on advice in a given situation where isolation has been determined to be the solution. Per this document ( https://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/generic-seminar.pdf ) my conclusion is that an input transformer isolator would be one...
  16. D

Set Up: 64 inputs, 64 outputs (28 balanced 'audio source' devices, 35 unbalanced 'FX devices') I've been testing my recording studio interface for a while, and have concluded that I have ground loops when using unbalanced external devices in effect send/return configuration. (For example...
  17. D

Seattle-area audio experts for hire?

I would not doubt it. I have a feeling the PC/hashing issue may be separate. However, the above specification should isolate the issue to the ground loop between the RME interface and a specific device (connected via TS audio cables going to and from the RME).
  18. D

I don't know if it would be entirely accurate to say that. The patchbay does not appear to be the source, but rather passing the noise through. I can modify how loud the buzz is by changing the grounding scheme on the patchbay (bus ground, vertical strap, isolated). The noise is present even...
  19. D

I'm not sure if EMI is a possibility. The RME units are racked near the patchbays, and are only connected to the computer via a USB 3.0 cable. The issue also doesn't happen if I don't create an I/O loop. For example, I have a synthesizer that you can plug audio into it's filter. When I run the...
  20. D

I've tried Hum X's on various devices, including the computer. Unfortunately no luck. I'm using RME interfaces, so they should be about as good as you can get in terms of interference. The noise does change characteristic when the computer is on a different circuit. It becomes more of a 60...
Top Bottom