Search results

1. GM3

Monitor Audio Hyphn DIY inspiration / tech discussion?

After some thought, I'm leaning towards pointless... Must be inefficient; pretty sure bass drivers facing each other like that is less efficient than forward facing... You basically need 4 bass drivers per speaker to simulate what's effectively a 'bass MTM' arrangement. 8 bass drivers =...
  2. GM3

New Monitor Audio flagship speaker - The Hyphn

Wow these are not small cracks... Bit strange, with custom crates, must have been dropped sideways, where the bottom of both pillars were compressed together, breaking at the connection point. Probably had material between the pillars, but I guess not correct material as was likely not solid...
  3. GM3

Monitor Audio Hyphn DIY inspiration / tech discussion?

Just curious if some of you have been inspired by the Hyphn for DIY design or if there's potentially useful concepts in there for DIY? Or is this just basically a pointless gimmick design considering cost/benefits? Lots of interesting design features, but I was mainly curious about the notion...
  4. GM3

A Call For Humor!

5. GM3

Audio Note speakers

Or use something like https://www.izotope.com/en/products/trash.html or equivalent plugin or VST. Lots of VSTs available for free, so there should be some which simulate worse playback. Same goes for any of their poorly measuring DACs, tube amps or whatnot, just get a plugin which will make...
  6. GM3

As a guitar player, is audio interface your only option?

Here's another of HX Stomp vs Vintage Marshall. Jaxjax makes a great point also about the usability of modelers vs real amps! For L6 you set master volume 10/10 and ch vol to 3/10 and you get that max saturation sound without going deaf. To do that with real amps, you need a doohickey, what's...
  7. GM3

Right.. I asked you if you thought Audiophile snake-oil matters or also doesn't matter. Your claim was that modelers do not provide you with "the control from your guitar you can get with tubes with anything Line 6 [...] most guitar players (if not all) that i know still prefer a real amp...
  8. GM3

Audio Note speakers

Basically, in one sentence, you're advocating against sound reproduction; you are against the notion of high fidelity, and apparently so is Audio-Note. You believe that your audio system should re-imagine the music instead of playing it accurately, because then it's more realistic or sounds...
  9. GM3

Do snake-oil power cables, interconnects, etc.; equally not matter? Because it's the exact same thing. It's what real/true, vs what isn't. Either a $450 fx units is distinguishable from a $3000 amp or it isn't... Either fx units are good enough these days to replace real amps, or they...
  10. GM3

Yes. How much is real and how much is in your head? There's countless people who tweak their systems with power cables and all sorts of things which make absolutely no difference. They'd swear on their mother's graves they can also all hear it and that they're definitely not imagining it...
  11. GM3

What does that mean, in plain English? What's the difference? How does a DSP 'play' and how does a real amp 'play'? What does an amp do exactly besides generate 'sound'? (more accurately signal, since the speaker cab generates sound..) Ok I'll admit that would be what I'd consider a special...
  12. GM3

For the same reason as CDs or lossless digital formats does not do the job and most audiophiles prefer vinyl? Emulation has gone a long way since the old days. When Line6 for instance models an amp, it does so by opening up the amp and measuring every electronic component of the amp, and the...
  13. GM3

Audio Note speakers

'Obviously'? Ugh no. Crooks and scammers have no issue taking advantage of ignorant and gullible people. You assuming that they believe their own bullshit is a great way to get scammed. Case in point: https://www.audionote.co.uk/isis-mains...
  14. GM3

Audio Note speakers

Why would you start with such a silly assumption? The reasonable assumption should be to start from the technologically & scientifically literate position. Not from ignorant idiotic audiophile position. If you do this, you quickly realize that the job of a cable is not to act as a tone knob...
  15. GM3

Audio Note speakers

TBF, embarrassingly, every time I've seen/heard Audio Note, they were the ridiculously overpriced models (trade shows), so that was my basis for the 1/10th comment. Likely wouldn't apply to their 1.5k-2.5k models, which they do have.. That's a long time ago. But to put things in perspective...
  16. GM3

Audio Note speakers

To me, they've always been snake oil speakers. Even at a tenth of the price, I'm really not sure how good of a buy they would be, I certainly wouldn't purchase a pair even at 1/10th... Come on, 2 way, 1980s design, stick it in the corner speaker?! Wtf... I've always been extremely puzzled...
  17. GM3

Extreme Snake Oil

https://nordost.com/faqs-break-in.php I don't even ... :facepalm:
  18. GM3

How to manage the mental somersaults, avoiding brain damage and brain rewiring from reading news?

Scott Adams referenced it in his 4th of 6 levels of political awareness! Paraphrasing; Level: 1) You only listen and trust 1 source of information and believe it's the truth 2) You listen to different sources of info so are aware of counter-points and other points of view, but believe that...
  19. GM3

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

How dare DaveF use advanced measuring equipment to create technologically advanced speakers...! Speaker design is an art. He should just use his ears and go by what his gut tells him, just pick a tweeter and a woofer at random (or by coolest looking), then just download xsim to design a...
  20. GM3

Is the Dynaudio Contour 60 tube friendly?

What is your current amplifier? And why would you want to get a tube amplifier? Have you thought about digital solutions?
Top Bottom