Search results

1. C

JBL 4349 Review (Studio Monitor Speaker)

The better speaker positioning for the 4349 is not on the lighter JS-120 stands (meant for the L100) but the strut-reinforced JS-150 stands. The cost is slightly higher, but for a speaker of this size and weight, the better choice. It gives the speaker about 8 inches of elevation from the floor...
  2. C

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Meh. Those PVD coatings are not so rare or special, treatments common to tool metals in other industries subject to considerably greater abrasive, heat and impact stresses than coffee grinding would produce. They are common in firearms parts, especially barrels, drill bits and the like.
  3. C

Do we have pro-ject users around?

I have the Pro-Ject Pre Box RS2 Digital preamp. It is really very nice. It has a dual ESS Sabre DAC and a selectable tube stage, a selection of filters and a headphone amp. Nice compact form factor, with a display. I have been using it with a NAD C298 amp and alternately with JBL 4349s (low...
  4. C

Pretty soon there will be balanced power supplies for your espresso maker and power conditioners, and of course special cabling.
  5. C

Vandersteen VLR Speaker Review

Your choice. I don't mind bad reviews if they are honestly founded and reviews of products good or bad have value only when they test the products as they are designed to be used, and not just any way the reviewer chooses to test them.
  6. C

Try to find a used PID Rancilio Miss Sylvia. That will at least put you into a proper HX semiauto with good temperature control. People often buy these and move up later to an E61 group machine or some other machine, so there is a resale market. Manual, as in hand lever extraction, that is hard...
  7. C

KEF LS50 Wireless II > KEF R3 Meta

The LS50W2 does well with a sub for reinforcement. It is an excellent standmount or bookshelf stereo system, as it adds much more in the way of being active with a streamer and DAC, each speaker bi-amped, and they have a DSP "Music Integrity Engine.". The R3 Meta is of course a 3-way, and has...
  8. C

NYC is fortunate to have some of the best-tasting public water anywhere, sourced as it is from the Adirondack Mountains.
  9. C

Just push it around with the edge of the ol' Reg Barber and then give it your best 30# press. Don't overthink.
  10. C

A whole online hobbyist world exists at CoffeeGeek. I use an Olympia Maximatic and grind with a Mazzer Mini B, having used an E61 QuickMill Andrea Premium previously and a Rancilio Sylvia before that. I am still tempted by levers (had an Olympia lever for a while also) and the Londinium R24 is...
  11. C

Best speakers for high end 7-car garage

TStahly: you posted here claiming you wanted some ideas on how you could equip your oversize garage for sound. You posted a list of some of the things you expected to do in your garage, including mechanical service and power washing. When some posters ribbed you about the excess, you became...
  12. C

Revel's XC environmental speakers might work for you. Based on your floorplan, it looks as if you have a 2500sf or larger space and irregularly-spaced. 2-channel listening is for all practical purposes not an option, unless you have plans for a lounge area where it may be possible. This space...
  13. C

While it seems your "garage" will actually be used as such, and not mainly a showroom, with you taking your cars in and out, and performing at least some maintenance on them there (you mention washing them there with a power washer) and having a urea or epoxy floor coating, I have to think you...
  14. C

Does anyone have any experience with the NuPrime IDA-8 integrated

You didn't mention what kind of speakers you are driving, so with a 100WPC target I assumed 88dB or higher efficiency; please correct me if I am mistaken. For an integrated with a DAC and a reasonable form factor, I would also suggest the Peachtree Carina line of integrateds, now with models at...
  15. C

New JBL SA750 Integrated Amplifier for US $3000.00

Well. some ultrasonic cleaners might look like that, minus the teak panels, and with a removable top, and less switchgear. Can't say for the 600 feet, looks as if the pasteup artist trimmed them off. Poor thing. As for the 750, the feet might be there but well beneath that overhang, maybe in...
  16. C

Power amp for Klipschorn

With >105dB sensitivity, you probably could run them on line-out from a preamp (jk.) The KHorn is one of those speakers that is perennially proposed to run on 2A3 SET amps that put out less than 5W. A quality class-A solid state integrated should do as well, and also needn't have a lot of...
  17. C

Does anyone have any experience with the NuPrime IDA-8 integrated

I have had a Nuprime IDA-8 for about 4.5 years in a home library/ office system (now back-and-forth with a modded and upgraded, tube-rolled Willsenton R8). I have not seen THD and SINAD measurements as would be typical of a review on this site. In my use, the amp works pretty much as the...
  18. C

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Automobile and appliance companies hated Consumer Reports, unless their products landed at or near the top or were "recommended." At least with cars and appliances, you see them daily and can visit dealers (unless you are shopping exotics, perhaps) and see and test drive them. Audio is even more...
  19. C

Seeking 'Lifestyle' Speaker Recommendations for a Parent's House

The 301s were a brand entry level product in 1978. They got revised a couple of times with the same model number re-used. Inexpensive chipboard panels, a 1-inch cloth tweeter and a paper cone 8-inch woofer, an inexpensive crossover and some thumbscrew binding posts, that little plastic vane on...
  20. C

Seeking 'Lifestyle' Speaker Recommendations for a Parent's House

A WiFi AVR with a tuner and wifi speaker connectivity might be an alternative. Yamaha makes these and so does Denon.
Top Bottom