Search results

1. DavidM1

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

The durability question is interesting. I think some folks here will get bored and move onto something new long before the gear gives up. The affordability of alternatives is a bigger threat to longevity than the components or design. Personally, my interest in amps will likely evaporate after...
  2. DavidM1

Fosi keeps demonstrating how to do business in the post showroom era.
  3. DavidM1

Nice review. Although some talk about how cool it would be to have meters or a preamp with phono inputs for an integrated amp that doesn’t appeal to me. A simple power amp that pairs well with balanced outs from a good dac or dac/ streamer pretty much nails it for me. The auto on/ off is a...
  4. DavidM1

Ha. I also find the name unappealing. Names are important. Just ask Bentley or Ferrari.
  5. DavidM1

I have an SMSL C200 and can vouch for it being a fabulous unit. Anything similar and new from SMSL would likely be very good as they seem to have no end of well designed DACs. Perhaps find one with optical, co-ax and USB inputs and balanced (either TRS or XLR) outputs... and a remote control...
  6. DavidM1

That was a standout feature for me. My DAC has balanced outs but no trigger out.
  7. DavidM1

Yes, what does this mean for the average listener? It was a question I hadn’t heard asked before. Does using either one or two power supplies have any bearing on the answer?
  8. DavidM1

I think a very easy blind test is to simply close your eyes and see if you can identify when the op amp has changed. Another would be to cover the screen and run your finger randomly along the time bar. If you can consistently pick the correct amp from its sound alone then you definitely have a...
  9. DavidM1

Well done Fosi for responding so quickly and effectively to the issue that arrived on the first day of the launch. I imagine there were a few tense moments at Fosi and also some nervousness from those who’d registered for 10A supplies. A benefit of Kickstarter product launches is that it’s not...
  10. DavidM1

New Fosi Audio V3 Mono vs Topping PA5 II vs Topping PA7 (inc. 'Plus' versions)...and Aiyima A70

I think all of these companies have demonstrated that measuring well is an effective way of being noticed in the market. Kudos to them for identifying this path and to ASR and others for encouraging it. Although Topping has impressed with the brilliance of their designs the L90 Discrete and PA5...
  11. DavidM1

No. I listened with good IEMs with my eyes closed, concentrating to hear when the different op amps changed. Quite honestly I couldn’t hear any point where they changed which at least is a tribute to how well the volume matching was handled. I’m familiar with how the brain creates difference...
  12. DavidM1

Thanks for the information. Was there any difference in other measurements? Was there a difference with noise or distortion, for example? Even if the difference is inaudible I'm curious to know if there was any other effect of sharing the power supply.
  13. DavidM1

I know knob feel is a big thing in hifi (yes, I wrote that) but it hadn’t crossed my mind that these switches were a problem. Kinda old-school now that I think about it.
  14. DavidM1

So… what are the pros or cons of two 5amp power supplies vs one 10 amp supply with a splitter cable in terms performance and sound? For example, is there a greater risk of ground loops with either setup?
  15. DavidM1

In other words...tiny! I think these might have to become known as "miniblocks".
  16. DavidM1

New Fosi Audio V3 Mono vs Topping PA5 II vs Topping PA7 (inc. 'Plus' versions)...and Aiyima A70

Pardon the newbie question but, in general, isn‘t the determining factor how much current a device needs to draw? If a device draws less than 5A then shouldn’t it function the same with either a 5A or 10A supply, all else equal?
  17. DavidM1

AIYIMA A70 Stereo Amplifier Review

My next amp will have balanced in. My DAC has balanced out.
  18. DavidM1

FAQ Questions on Audio/ASR

What is the amplifier wattage required for high quality audio at home? The answer might discuss speaker efficiency, proximity, room size, volume levels for different music genres, tradeoff between sinad and wattage.
  19. DavidM1

Fewer

I love fewer. There is no less need for it today just because fewer people know what it means.
  20. DavidM1

Are we hitting a bump in the golden age of cheap audio electronics?

Yep. Expect to see more of the “it’s not about the specs, it’s about the ecosystem” type argument as dealers aim to sustain the relevance of their knowledge base.
Top Bottom