Search results

1. dweeeeb2

FR variation around MLP, SPL in perspective

So I think some people could find this interesting, particularly if you haven’t played around with REW. Below are a bunch of REW SPL v Freq graphs. I’m showing them to demonstrate just how much FR varies based on position in the room. These measurements are all taken just around the MLP, none...
  2. dweeeeb2

Cause of boomy voice?

When watching movies I’m finding voices to be boomy. Looking at these graphs is it that decay time above 70Hz causing it? Any suggestions? Could I just EQ that range down to minimise the decay volume? EDIT: Small odd shaped room very approx 4x5meters, reflective floor (main living and traffic...
  3. dweeeeb2

Bass till it hurts....

Finally got around to using my HTx for crossover and 12"sub. Sounded good, nice and punchy, tight. I was pretty happy for a first swing. It didn't sound overly bassy to me but I'm finding bass to be quite an insidious and sneaky creature. After an hour of medium level music it was becoming a...
  4. dweeeeb2

Use REW to check UMIK-2?

Hi I am currently using a new MiniDSP HTx and a UMIK-2 microphone. Unfortunately when measuring for Dirac I get an "imprecise measurement" error. Dirac says the measurement is fine to use for FR but not for timing/phase calculations. I have tried everything MiniDSP and Dirac have suggested...
  5. dweeeeb2

Phase adjustment on Sub - Which frequency?

I'm attempting to get a better grip on room equalization and of course phase can be a useful variable for this. On my sub I have a phase dial and I've played around with it and noticed it making a difference. But it got me thinking, what is the typical association between the phase dial and...
  6. dweeeeb2

Distortion measurements

Hi, Im trying to improve my understanding of the distortion graphs (EDIT: speaker distortion). I believe its basically a comparison of signal in v’s measured output. Does this mean a sweep is performed and measured as per FR graph? Does the deviations from flat on a FR graph show up as...
  7. dweeeeb2

FR targets = same perceived volume across FR?

If a speaker were to measure dead flat should it sound like the volume is constant across the entire frequency range? if so is this the same for the headphone FR target curve? cheers
  8. dweeeeb2

Pre amp gain setting for EQ

Hi, I've been looking at speakers and noticed in some suggested EQ's that the pre amp gain should be set to -2.9dB. This has confused me. Isn't pre amp gain applied across all frequencies. Would someone mind explaining why this needs to be specified? Is it to avoid clipping? Thanks
  9. dweeeeb2

Suggestions for DSP options - which components?

Hi guys, I’m after some suggestions for DSP on a 2.0 system. 2 scenarios 1: Use laptop to stream to DAC 2: Use optical out or usb out of tv to DAC for movies. What are people using? MiniDSP? Any suggestions, or things to avoid? cheers
  10. dweeeeb2

Multi tone speaker response

Is there a measure of a speakers ability to play multiple tones at once? My understanding is that FR data is generated by sweeping through frequencies, only asking the speaker to produce one frequency at any given time. Is this correct? To me, the ability of a driver to produce multiple...
  11. dweeeeb2

Predicted v Measured in room response

Hi, Ive been looking at spinorama data / speaker reviews and Ive been putting a bit of faith in the "predicted in room response" curve. I understand that its just an average of possible rooms etc and its a best guess, but I was watching a vid on the genelec 8351B (above my price range...
  12. dweeeeb2

FR curve / Spinorama measurement process

When measuring for a FR curve or spinorama data is it just a frequency sweep and output recorded or is each frequency request correlated with what is produced? ie: if 3kHz is requested of the speaker is the output actually confirmed to by 3kHz, or is a frequency sweep performed and the response...
  13. dweeeeb2

Speaker "clarity"/ "transparency" - Most representative measurement?

Hi, I'm just trying to wrap my head around speaker measurements and performance. I understand that a speakers performance is a dynamic multi-factorial issue and that no one measurement summarizes completely how a speaker will perform. But if I am after clarity (EDIT: in a single seated...
  14. dweeeeb2

Audio signal, voltage 101

Hi, sorry for this very basic post. I think I understand this however I often come across comments or videos that make me question my understanding, so I thought I'd clarify it here. This is my understanding of how Sound gets recorded, then produced via a speaker. 1: Sound pressure moves a...
  15. dweeeeb2

2.1 Configuration recommendations

Hi, I am quite happy with my Wharfedale Lintons, Marantz model 30 combo, however I'm thinking that a Sub could improve overall sound and improve distortion at higher volumes (95+dB). My thinking is that if possible, I use a HPF for RCA preamp line into the model 30, and a LPF for line to Sub...
  16. dweeeeb2

Blind tests.....

Stumbled across a scenario that I'd like your feedback / experience on. Brief background: Looking for differences in DAC's. Used Wiim for streaming, optical out into splitter, optical into 2 dacs, each dac into same amp via different inputs. Volume conveniently appeared matched by ear. 3...
  17. dweeeeb2

Measuring a DAC or Amps dynamic properties…..

Hi guys, totally loving this place :) I’ve got a question that I suspect had been asked a million times yet I can’t seem to find an answer. When measuring a component’s capabilities like a DAC or Amp which test demonstrates its capabilities at dynamic response? I understand frequency response...
Top Bottom