Search results

1. A

TOPPING EHA5

Im testing an Edcor output transformer currently based on a recommendation from Kevin, it definitely won’t run bare linearly like a LL1630 but it definitely has far more capabilities with some external resistors etc… Ill be doing a video on it shortly as soon as I finish my audio analyser…
  2. A

TOPPING EHA5

Yeah I think the LL1630 still has its place… its insanely linear / well behaved out of the box with no resistors etc but yeah if you want more voltage swing, gotta step up to bigger options… A shame they couldn’t maintain similar characteristics to the LL1630 with more capabilities…
  3. A

TOPPING EHA5

Yeah… it really hurt, but hey if they’re that good I can live with it, gives me time to try another bias design while I wait for them :)
  4. A

TOPPING EHA5

Fair enough, thought I saw someone who managed hit it but I didn’t look closely so probably wrong :) Those Edcor transformers really hurt me to send to Australia, cost me as much in shipping as the transformers did :facepalm:
  5. A

TOPPING EHA5

It’s all a clusterf to be honest, especially as measuring such audio performance at such voltages is tricky / no industry standard of measurement… not just about voltages but the loads being driven. Because there is barely any current available on direct drive, using a demanding load will pull...
  6. A

TOPPING EHA5

Oh I misread thought u were looking for one
  7. A

TOPPING EHA5

Hunt down someone to make you a proper transformer box for the less money or go DIY if you’re capable. The iESL definitely isn’t worth the inflated prices these days now its out of production nor is their new all in one amp which uses those transformers also… It is nice that a retail product...
  8. A

TOPPING EHA5

I shall revisit but seems to mirror the existing concerns of the STAX guild who claim direct drive amps struggle mostly in the high frequency department and when I increased the load with a parallel or series resistor, a corresponding drop in max voltage output was observed but had a greater...
  9. A

TOPPING EHA5

Thanks for that, the common STAX Lundahls are the LL1630 which is what I use. Sounds good at 100v, I did my tests at 150v with a 120pf load though transformers don’t seem to care really just the direct drive amps at high frequencies. I only have limited gear to test though so I was mainly...
  10. A

TOPPING EHA5

It’s very expensive for a transformer based amp, too expensive and limited in my opinion. Jack of all trades, master of none.
  11. A

TOPPING EHA5

Too expensive for what it is and cannot use better amplifers
  12. A

TOPPING EHA5

You cannot buy the iESL anymore so the comparison is redundant. That said I doubt the iESL transformers have the capability to match Lundahl transformers.
  13. A

TOPPING EHA5

Thanks for that indepth data, did you do any testing of the FR at higher voltages (Say 150vRMS?) I found that quite interesting when comparing the SRDs and Lundahl transformers to see if the transformers easily saturate at lower frequencies and how flat they hold at louder volumes.
  14. A

TOPPING EHA5

Glad you’re on here also
  15. A

TOPPING EHA5

Passing this on from FB… Nice that someone actually approached them about it
  16. A

TOPPING EHA5

It is an odd choice to design a whole new product around this when they could have taken an existing LA90 chassis, thrown in some transformers, cut out the input switching setup to save some pennies, add bias and send it. Price point would have been higher obviously but still undercut pretty...
  17. A

TOPPING EHA5

Yup using the LL1630-PPs also which will replace my modded SRD-7... The LA90 goes just loud enough in most cases but there are some quieter tracks that I wish I had more gain for my L700s. Would be interesting to try even more power hungry estats but I did this in preparation of getting the...
  18. A

TOPPING EHA5

Interesting, wasn't aware they were using A90D derivatives... I'm shocked they can get anywhere near enough power out for the application. The LA90 can barely get an SRD-7 or Lundahl's to the volumes needed but obviously different ratios in the OTs. I wouldn't buy one but wouldn't mind hearing...
  19. A

TOPPING EHA5

I never encountered balance issues when I tried really but maybe my L700s are too new still but yeah the volume drop was very apparent. I tried it on my SRD-7 before I build my first gen pro bias and on the SRM-1 mk2
  20. A

TOPPING EHA5

Yeah I wouldn’t expect it to harm them at normal levels but it was always in the back of my head about what happens when you try to recover that lost volume from the lower bias as the stators would then be much higher voltage (assuming you have an amp with the stones)…
Top Bottom