Search results

1. C

What are some ribbons microphones with big bang for the buck?

Just a passing note that the SE Electronics VR1 is the flattest and most extended ribbon I've ever found. It's been a little while since I measured them, but IIRC mine were flat about to about 10kHz and gradually rolled off above that. If you wanted to, a touch of HF boost would get them flat to...
  2. C

PA and Studio Monitor speakers vs HiFi modified sound

My point was that evenness in dispersion is an important factor in PA speaker design/choice, while the post I quoted seemed to suggest that PA speakers mostly need to get loud, and multiple speakers would be used to even out the coverage. In most PA situations, using a bunch of speakers for...
  3. C

PA and Studio Monitor speakers vs HiFi modified sound

It's both. PA speakers must have controlled dispersion, decent sound within the intended dispersion angles, and get loud. Most PA speakers are point-and-shoot 2-way boxes with a direct-radiating 8-15" woofer and a HF horn. They transition to omnidirectional towards the bottom of the passband...
  4. C

Is Every thing Placebo?

Me too. The weight/stiffness of some of those cables is enough to pull a lighter-weight piece of equipment off the rack. Of course, cable supports will alleviate such a problem! When it comes to the mains-power side of things, I offer this: when I provide a PA system for a festival, I'll make...
  5. C

OneMic recordings, hear what the band heard in the studio!

Ah yes, sorry. 2nd video in the first post. The rest of the instruments are in a natural acoustic space from the instruments+room capture that you get with these mic techniques. The voice has a load of extra reverb pasted on top, putting it in a totally different "space" to the rest. I like...
  6. C

OneMic recordings, hear what the band heard in the studio!

I found the vocal reverb detracted from the one-mic listening experience. If nothing else, IMO it should have been a subtle addition.
  7. C

One hell of a 12” woofer!

I'd just like to clear up a few things here: - The Celestion woofer is rated for 700W AES. Celestion's "Continuous" rating is "Defined as 3dB greater than the AES rating." - see the bottom of the product page. - Having lots of thermal power handling doesn't mean much in a small sealed box - the...
  8. C

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Yep, very happy with my 4.0 system. Denon AVR 4100W feeding: Mains - custom designed & built 2.5-way speakers. Seas H1252-08 for midbass, 18Sound NSD1095N for HF. Crossover around 1kHz, lower woofer (near the floor) rolls off around 300Hz. Diaphragms acting as pure pistons throughout the...
  9. C

Have 4 drivers with 0.97 Qts. What should I make with it?

3rd order sealed box, as mentioned above, is a pretty good approach. The alternative would be to put it in a ported box tuned to around 70Hz (going lower probably won't happen) and EQ the result to flat. Since you have 4x drivers, I'd suggest running one of them wide-open, and using an inductor...
  10. C

PA DSP Options Mixer Vs DBX PA2

The pattern control on VRX, IIRC, isn't great. Something like the RCF NX45 is likely to do better, and is easier to rig as well. If the speakers have DSP, what do you actually need the TouchMix for? A simple 2-in, 2-out parametric (or graphic) EQ will allow some tuning of the system, and it'll...
  11. C

PA DSP Options Mixer Vs DBX PA2

Context: I'm a live sound engineer who has designed some interesting speakers for both domestic HiFi and PA use. I own a QSC TM30Pro, and use it for shows a few times a week. I also own a rack of Powersoft T-series amplifiers. Some notes from me: - The QSC TM30Pro is NOT a loudspeaker...
  12. C

I was offered these DIY builds "for parts". What have I got here?

There are many possible directivity plots here, depending on the crossover point and slope. The people further up are making assumptions, but we don't have all of the information. Some examples: - A "textbook" approach of, say, 2nd (or higher) order at 3kHz would result in the usual "Christmas...
  13. C

Can I be just nuts?

My system consists of a Denon AVR and a pair of custom-built speakers. I used to change things every few months, but this system hasn't been dismantled/tweaked/messed-with for years. I just enjoy the music. Welcome to the small club of people that are happy with their audio system.
  14. C

Diy 3-Way Compact Monitor Vs 2-Way , Pros+Cons of each design.

FWIW, I'm also working on a pair of small monitors. It'll be 2x Kartesian Sub120_vHP and 1x SB Acoustics Satori TW29RN. MTM configuration, bi-amped. I'm planning a relatively low crossover, since the woofers are likely to struggle first - I'm not planning on using a subwoofer. The Kartesian...
  15. C

Honesty in specifications

This is a useful tool for some context: http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/xmaxer.html A single 18" driver would require an Xmax (linear excursion, one-way) of 23.7mm to achieve 105dB@16Hz. If it was my project, I'd go for a pair of Faital 18XL1800 in a cube. Go for force cancellation. Then...
  16. C

Share your best “bargain of my life” story.

Set of 4x Tannoy 15" dual-concentrics at a 2nd-hand shop. They were in grey-carpet PA speaker cabinets, but the adjustable crossover and look of the drivers gave it away. One pair were the usual HPD385s, the other were a little more obscure and I can't remember right now. They were on at £50...
  17. C

Please sell me on "ruler flat" near field monitors.

Sure, here you go: One of my PA speakers. There's a bit of HF ringing (probably the large-format compression driver), but it's not the sort of problem that an audience would reliably identify. They're ported, of course. They still sound clean at 130dB, and I can lift each one with one hand. LF...
  18. C

While your concerns are valid, I think you've ignored the point of my post, which is this: excellent monitoring can allow poor mixing, because it's less obvious when something is too quiet: the engineer can hear it just fine because the system has excellent imaging, low distortion, etc etc...
  19. C

Noel, Something I've found is this: when mixing on a system with lots of headroom, large stereo image, and wide frequency response, it's very easy to fall into the trap of mixing badly. The reason for this seems to be that such a system will allow you to hear "into" the mix very easily, so that...
  20. C

Looking for music with meaningful ultrasonic content

Agreed. I posted a suggested method earlier: In fact, I could add a Schoeps MK8 and do a M/S setup and capture the chimes in stereo. Should be more interesting to listen to. Either way, I think the method of down- and then up-sampling is solid, although we must take care to ensure that...
Top Bottom